Blit's guide to choosing related text for Discovery :) (2 Viewers)

Fiction

HSC
Hypothetically couldn't you choose a belonging text and discuss how its a discovery to a realisation of feeling at peace
You could. Just like how you should be able to do it with a journey text, or change or whatever they had inthe english syllabus 20 years ago and so on.

I think intertextuality is part of the requirements/syllabus anyways.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Catcher in the Rye seems like a very interesting novel to add to the list. Catcher in the Rye explores interesting aspects of discovery such as coping with the death of a loved one, changing concepts of morality within society (since Cather in the Rye was written prior to countercultural revolution of the 1960s) and the complexities associated with letting go and moving on. Holden realises that in order to grow-up, he must move on from the past and focus on the future. It's interesting how Holden decides to bridge between the gap of adulthood and childhood and ultimately grows from the experience.

It's a great book and I think will allow someone to showcase their understanding of discovery on a deeper level.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
add finding nemo for discovery :haha:
In this classic animated bildungsromen film, Finding Nemo, explores the complexity of human condition, and the broad nature of discovery.
For example; the character of Nemo, is careful chosen latin word meaning 'no one' or 'no man'. Through the title literal translation of 'Finding No one positions us to question the nature of construction of reality. This provides a social commentary that in a post modern society, individuals can only reach self actualisation through exploration of individual relationships, which ultimately may result in challenges to the dominant narrative of today's world.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
add finding nemo for discovery :haha:
Interesting! Not only is the title an allusion for discovery, but how the three main characters (Nemo, Marlin and Dory) are impacted by their own individual realisations. Maybe I should switch related texts...

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting! Not only is the title an allusion for discovery, but how the three main characters (Nemo, Marlin and Dory) are impacted by their own individual realisations. Maybe I should switch related texts...
Actually speaking Finding Nemo has quite a lot to talk about, plus you've got the camera techniques/anthropomorphism you could talk about as well.

www.spiritualjourneys.org.uk/pdf/dream_films_findingnemo1.pd

Nemo's Abyss - The University of Sydney
sydney.edu.au/arts/publications/philament/.../PRESCOTT-STEED.pdf
I shall discuss how Finding Nemo obscures the culture/nature relationship for the ....
Social determination occurs in human society, as well; for an individual's.

Mikasa

HSC
Persepolis is also pretty great, and a text that English teachers would approve of.

turntaker

HSC
:( I recommended interstellar... not fiction :(

lol

turntaker

HSC
Also "The Alchemist" would be a great novel for fiction.

wishingstars

HSC
I think any sort of bildungsroman novel (i.e. "coming of age" novel) is suitable for discovery (notion of self-discovery and all).
I recommend everyone check out novels by Sonya Hartnett (she has a few fantasy - but there are some nice "coming of age" ones - e.g. Butterfly)
I also feel that "To Kill A Mockingbird would be a suitable text - however, it may be a prescribed (not sure) or it may be done by quite a few people - although, if your analysis is solid I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Alice in Wonderland is a great related text!

I noticed you don't have much under poetry, I recommend 'Daddy' by Sylvia Plath. It's a really good general text because it deals with discovery about the true nature of other people (the speaker's father and husband), discovery of the realities of the persona's relationship to them, discovery about geographical locations linked the the persona's familial heritage (Germany/Poland) and of the events that irrevocably shaped these locations (WWII, in particular the Holocaust). There are few questions that could be thrown at you that you couldn't use that poem for.
While it is part of the Ariel suite that is prescribed for EE1 After the Bomb, it's such a small part of a single elective that I really don't think that lessens it's ability to be used as an ORT. Furthermore, it's so well known it won't just look like you've lifted it from the course prescription list, and it's a sophisticated text.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie about the aftermath of Indian Independence would absolutely blow a marker away I think. It's quite long and it's a little hard to get through in parts but you could read it over the summer. It's a very sophisticated modern text, a little left of centre for the HSC, I think a marker would love you for it. It's full of self discovery, discovery about the realities of early governance in an independent India and about the realities of the dichotomy between wealth and poverty, discovery about the nature of familial relationships too. It's not an easy text to take on, and I'd only really recommend it for band six/high band five advanced English students. But if you pull it off it will be amazing.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Alice in Wonderland is a great related text!

I noticed you don't have much under poetry, I recommend 'Daddy' by Sylvia Plath. It's a really good general text because it deals with discovery about the true nature of other people (the speaker's father and husband), discovery of the realities of the persona's relationship to them, discovery about geographical locations linked the the persona's familial heritage (Germany/Poland) and of the events that irrevocably shaped these locations (WWII, in particular the Holocaust). There are few questions that could be thrown at you that you couldn't use that poem for.
While it is part of the Ariel suite that is prescribed for EE1 After the Bomb, it's such a small part of a single elective that I really don't think that lessens it's ability to be used as an ORT. Furthermore, it's so well known it won't just look like you've lifted it from the course prescription list, and it's a sophisticated text.
However in previous years in conflicting perspectives Hughes poetry anthology Birthday Letters have been perscribed, and individuals may have used Plath's poetry to contrast part of Hughes poetry....

SuchSmallHands

HSC
However in previous years in conflicting perspectives Hughes poetry anthology Birthday Letters have been perscribed, and individuals may have used Plath's poetry to contrast part of Hughes poetry....
I really don't think they're so picky that if a text is likely to be used as a related for a different module you'll get marked down over it. I used it for Belonging this year and my teacher didn't mind. I think they'd just be impressed that a student had chosen an intricate, nuanced and sophisticated text rather than looking to slam them for choosing something that has a lose relationship to another module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)