Blood Donation? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
Hi guys, I'm planning on donating blood next week at the Australian Red Cross and I was wondering if anyone here knows what it's like?
On a scale how painful is the process? Does the initial jab hurt when they insert the needle?

Cheers guys!

Flop21

HSC
You've never had a blood test before?

It depends on the nurse. I've had some nurses/doctors be very sloppy and move the needle to much (which hurts like hell). It's not that painful, the initial stabbing is a little sting, then you just stay still and look away, and before you know it it's over. Needle insertion is like a 3 on the pain scale (from 0 - 10). Bee sting maybe, but doesn't hurt for nearly as long.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's like a bee sting and your arm might feel a bit numb while the blood is being pumped out.

Make sure you have a lot of water to drink beforehand. Also, make sure you had a decent meal around 2 to 3 hours beforehand as well.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I usually find pinching myself work. It distracts me from the needle pain with.... pain.... (?)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Of course a jab of a needle is gonna hurt are you really asking that

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
But if you're asking me how much I get hurt from it probably like a 0

I've had plenty of pain in my life a needle is nothing

crowley926

HSC
Good job on planning to donate!

You feel a sharp prick in the initial jab but after that it's really fine and you don't even feel the needle anymore. The people there are professionals so everything goes really smoothly. It's awesome donating + you get free food afterwards!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You're more scared of the idea of having a needle into you than the actual pain. In Australia etc, people are brought up by calling it 'the needle' and thus, has a painful connotation to it. However, in most other countries its just called an 'injection' or similar, just use mind over matter.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
You're more scared of the idea of having a needle into you than the actual pain. In Australia etc, people are brought up by calling it 'the needle' and thus, has a painful connotation to it. However, in most other countries its just called an 'injection' or similar, just use mind over matter.
if needles were called something like flower petals, i would still be scared of it. It's not the name, it's how it looks

Flop21

HSC
You might also hear the blood gurgling out of your body. That was not a pleasant sound.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Tbh not even the needle hurts that bad. Just drink heaps and heaps of water, that way your blood flows out really easily.
The experience is a lot more enjoyable if you have a couple of friends donating as well

Papercutter

HSC
Of course a jab of a needle is gonna hurt are you really asking that
Nah it's just that there's obviously more than one type of needle so some would vary in "pain". E.g. A vaccination may be different to an IV insertion

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Nah it's just that there's obviously more than one type of needle so some would vary in "pain". E.g. A vaccination may be different to an IV insertion
Either way you're still going to feel the jab

and tbh a vaccination hurts because they push that liquid against your blood flow

Flop21

HSC
Blood test needles are actually alright. I had a contrast injection and the needle was thick (obviously hurt more :( ).

Papercutter

HSC
Cheers for the answers guys! It didn't hurt much at all and oddly enough, watching my blood flow through the tube into the bag was very calming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)