Blueprint of Life Tips (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Yay! First one to post :) sorry to disappoint you guys.. the tips are not up and done yet.. mee am just scabbing this first place :p this is to compensate my loss in Bio.. came third :( just don't understand why, i came first in all assessments since and including the half yearly and still cam blanky third.. anyways.. just to make this look better.. i'll put in one or two tips..

1. Understand what is natural selection and changes in the environment can lead to the extinction of existing species and the rise of new species.

2.Physical changes: maybe caused by continential drift over a long period of time or by the destruction of natural habitats such as rain forest by human activities, e.g. temperature, shelter, wind, sunlight.. etc. Chemical changes pH of soil, salinity, gases (e.g. O2 CO2) concentrations in the atmosphere... etc.

Important terms: natural selection, palaeontology, biogeography, comparative embryology, comparative anatomy, biochemistry

okay.. that's too, more to come :) my dad just woke up.. lucky me.. he didn't know i'm still awake :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Also on pt 1:

palaeontology: study of fossils. the discovery of transitional forms of fossils support Darwin's theory of evolution. Transitional forms: archaeopteryx (those giant flyin birdish dinosaur which u c every day in sci fi movies such as jurassic park) exhibiting both a bird (have wings) and a reptile (bonie tails). Hence natural selection (variations with the most superior characteristics got to pass it to their offspring, namely archaeopteryx with the wings)

biogeography: study of orgainism from different places on earth. when they are separated by the tectonic plates movement, they evolve divergently according to the different environment they went into.

comparative anatomy: mainly the pentadyctal limb structure between human, whales, bat and horse(or was it lion??). Similiar structure implied they have a common ancestor.

biochemistry: all organism on earth, regardless of species, genus etc, all have similiar chemical compositions in our bodies, also same biochemical processes whereby we obtain our energy from (with the exception of a few anaerobic bacteria, some of which feed on sulfur). Hence this implies that we all have a common ancestor.

lolz, there may be loads of mistakes and errors... so if ne one is dissatisfied, plz post here!!!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
apparantly, i read somewhere, that lemark's theory of "spontaneous evolution" (not really sure wut is it called) is not really all bad..... it should be considered as a development, as it denies the creactionism, which prevails at the time...... twas after his pioneer work (or prolly not that pioneer) that the society start to think "ahhhhhhh ... (the rest of the thoughts have bein omitted for religious reasons) "

ne way, and along came darwin with his theory of evolution, which is really rejected (more like banned by law) at many places at the time (namely many states in usa). a sci teacher is trialed for teachin the students about darwin's theory of evolution.

and also, mitochondria, which school do u go to?? u sure give urself a very high standard!!! cuz i will be more than satisfied wif 3rd... apparently, i stuff up my bio pretty badly :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lol. they are not tips! they are summary of the selected dot points!

Anyway, Another evidence to paeleontology beside what xiao1985 said is the Lobe fin fish. This organism suggests that reptile evolved from fish.

bLu3_gRaSS

HSC
N/A
My tip: don't study!!

I didn't study at all; no past exams no questions from the book, skimming through the book...i didn't do all that bad either

emmy-lou

Help

yeah right! not study! my goodness i am studying my ass off and stil just scraping by! it is so wierd i love bio but hate my teacher so i seem to be doing poorly out of my own arrogance! man i soo regret that now.. any tips for understanding the whole course in the next three months?????

Cab31

HSC
It should make more sense when you have a chance to sit down and properly revise it all (before trials). As long as you're understanding most of the stuff, you'll be ok. The stuff you dont understand, or cant remember, write down in big letters on paper and stick them up round ur room. i guarentee by the HSC you'll remember it - and you'll have a lovely room full stuff you'll never need to know again!

jesster88

HSC
xiao1985 said:
Also on pt 1:

comparative anatomy: mainly the pentadyctal limb structure between human, whales, bat and horse(or was it lion??). Similiar structure implied they have a common ancestor.

lolz, there may be loads of mistakes and errors... so if ne one is dissatisfied, plz post here!!!
umm u forgot commparitive embryology where the embryos of many species all look the same expecially mammals

Kiarn

what the hell is independent assortment and random segregation??

cint

HSC
when will your tips be up?! im desperate!!!!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Kiarn said:
what the hell is independent assortment and random segregation??
Independent assortment is mendel's second law, which describe that the segregation of alleles at one gene occurs independently of the segregation of alleles at another gene.

Random segregation GENERALLY describes that during meiosis, the segregation of one homologous chromosome is independent of the segregation of another.

But this term is used loosely so don't get confused with Medel's first law of the segregation of alleles, that is, two alleles of ONE gene each pass into one gametes during meiosis

I hope this helps :)

HSC
Here's a tip that's working for me!

MAKE ALL YOUR NOTES AS YOU GO ALONG - make notes for each dot point and don't leave it to a week before trials. If you love Bio as much as I do, you should give it some time everyday - I do one hour Bio study a day (wish I could do more, but Chem and Maths are also crying for attention).

P.S. Is it weird that we totally ignored the stuff about evolution at the beginning of the syllabus and began our HSC course at Mendel?

Lizzae

HSC
Re: Blueprint of Life:HELP!!

foofoo_16 said:
hEY i have a Bio assign 4 'Blueprint of Life'...i gota show how an environmental change can lead to changes in a species! Has anyone done this before? if not does any one know what species i could do???
Try doing DDT (an insecticide) and the mosquito. It was introduced (it was introduced for other reasons too) as a way to kill mosquitoes once they'd discovered they were spreading Malaria. Talk about their eventual resistance to both DDT and DDE over time and the effects the inseciticide had on the environment (like build up etc)
Or about rabbits and myxomatosis...

Last edited:

Campione

HSC
Generally, if you're learning about the Blueprint of Life, in my opinion it is the longest topic and the most complex topic to learn, since there are linkages with physical phenotypes and genotypes, in which people have undertaken through each succession of generations. From that I mean that anything that is inherited in the first generation, may not be activated or provoked in the second generation, but the person may carry it as a heterozygous or homologous organism. Remember every bit of living matter on Earth, is made up of simple chemical compositions such as amino acids or proteins, and that we all contain DNA, if whether it is to be within a Eucaryotic Cell(Most organisms and homosapiens) or within a Procaryotic Cell(Viruses).

Dare

HSC
My tip would be to learn to love the subject.

Don't listen to other people when they groan and complain about the difficulties, it'll just make you think negatively about the subject/topic too.

If you picked Bio, I'm assuming you had an interest in it. If you learn the stuff and think about it, it's actually really amazing. That's how I'm getting by in Blueprint of Life.

Felix Jones

HSC
honestly its not too late to first of all start studying. ...so if ur one of those buggers delaying ur studiess.... START NOW!!!

then u need to find out what type of learner u are ( visual, audit etc), then focus on that strength.....for me, i like reading a variety of different materials on the same topic, it gives a 360 view of that topic and helps me understand it completely.

You have to also make your own notes at one stage before the HSC, the sooner the better. the thing wif making ur own notes is that its in ur own words, and by making the notes in the first place u have proven to yourself that u understand the topic.

for Bio, and all the other sciences....Dont fken try to memorise. its bloody boring annoying and hard. and when it comes to the test and they place you in a slightly diffent position ur gonna screw up, cos u memores not understood. understanding, and not memorising is probably the best thing u can try to do.

Lastly....Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise, Revise,

Good Luck for HSC...i'm in the same shit with 2008 hsc students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)