Blueprint of Life Tips (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
Dude, the best thing for any bio subject is to read the syllabus. Make it your friend. Study it so much that when you read a syllabus dotpoint you can rattle off the information effortlessly.

Stick dot point lists on your toilet wall! On the fridge. My house was covered in post it notes before the bio exam.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
The tip (obviously) is to realize there is no tip! Once you choose the subject, you basically sign in the contract to keep studying, revising it everyday as much as possible. The most effective way to study bio is to concentrate once and never! When you get the main point, seriously it's damn hard to get rid of it. Bio is somewhat everyday applicable science and that's why people to regard it as easy. They are right and wrong. I was and that's why I got 68/75 for the half-yearly which I supposed to get full-marks. Lots of strict markings and unpredictable.

After any exam, you should re-read and remember everything you did wrong and try to avoid it. The chance for them to re-appear in your school exam is like 0 but very possibly in HSC.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
I make notes. Then i type up practice questions on the comp, print them out and actually do them like a test. I suck at just skimming notes, they just go out of the other side of my head so making myself actually doing the questions help me remember key info so once im in the exam, ill be thinking "hey i already answered this question" or "this question is pretty much the question i did earlier"

Hope that helps anyone

jannny

HSC
My only tip is make sure that you can understand the concept and can put it in your own words. Memorizing does help sometimes but, mostly make sure that you can understand it! This is how I got band 6.

Oh and also, do success one hsc past papers

Strangely I miss the hsc, especially the competition.

annikab

HSC
Also on pt 1:

palaeontology: study of fossils. the discovery of transitional forms of fossils support Darwin's theory of evolution. Transitional forms: archaeopteryx (those giant flyin birdish dinosaur which u c every day in sci fi movies such as jurassic park) exhibiting both a bird (have wings) and a reptile (bonie tails). Hence natural selection (variations with the most superior characteristics got to pass it to their offspring, namely archaeopteryx with the wings)

biogeography: study of orgainism from different places on earth. when they are separated by the tectonic plates movement, they evolve divergently according to the different environment they went into.

comparative anatomy: mainly the pentadyctal limb structure between human, whales, bat and horse(or was it lion??). Similiar structure implied they have a common ancestor.

biochemistry: all organism on earth, regardless of species, genus etc, all have similiar chemical compositions in our bodies, also same biochemical processes whereby we obtain our energy from (with the exception of a few anaerobic bacteria, some of which feed on sulfur). Hence this implies that we all have a common ancestor.

lolz, there may be loads of mistakes and errors... so if ne one is dissatisfied, plz post here!!!
Regarding biochemistry:

If you are given a question that is worth 3 or 4 marks you will need to go more indepth with this.

Similar DNA sequences indicate a common origin, i.e. evolution. The more similar the DNA of two organisms, the more closely related they may be, as similar DNA means similar genes, which means similar proteins and therefore physiological function of the organism. This information is gained through a technique called DNA hybridisation, where DNA strands of two difference species are extracted, cut and fused. The greater the degree of base pairing between the strands, the more closely related the organisms are. Also, the greater the amount of energy, i.e. heat required to break them apart once more also indicates an evolutionary relationship.

useless stick

HSC
The main component of doing well is to understand everything, if you understand everything you will practically memorise it. Also this helps with your waffling skills so if you hit a roadblock you will at least get a mark or two.

The second tip is to use the syllabus and look at other sources, what really helps is that you write the dot point at the top of your page and write notes on it, when your done skip a page and do the next dot point. Later on in the day you go back to the skipped page and add additional notes or add things you did not already know about.

If you do this and revise these notes every week or month you'll do fine.

Also don't forget to write down the pracs and do the RHS of the syllabus.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
For this subject:

Deep understanding of dotpoints + past papers = band 6.

Memorising dotpoint content + past papers = band 5.

(doing past papers includes looking at the MARKING GUIDELINES!)

teridax

HSC
N/A
For this subject:

Deep understanding of dotpoints + past papers = band 6.

Memorising dotpoint content + past papers = band 5.

(doing past papers includes looking at the MARKING GUIDELINES!)
>bio is a rote course
>but says you need understanding to succeed

lol

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
>bio is a rote course
>but says you need understanding to succeed

lol
People have different opinions, my teacher mentioned today that Biology isn't only memorising, it also requires some sort of understanding as exams give you examples and you have to know what they're telling you. Personally, I think Biology is about memorising and it isn't hard to understand the examples they give you. Biology "may" require abit of understanding but not deeply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)