BNW/BR assessment..HELP! (1 Viewer)

richgirl.cc

Lazy workaholic
HSC
Hey everyone,

received our assessment for BNW/BR and we have to listen to a short stimulus relating to those texts and then write a feature article that explores the following question:

How does a comparison of Brave New World and Bladerunner illuminate the differing contexts and values inherent in each text?

could someone please explain to me what the question means?!

Luv cat :confused:

Guernica

HSC
It's basically asking you to compare (look at similarities/differences) BNW and BR and then justify the differences in them by looking at the contexts in which they were written, and the values the composer is expressing.

For example, the issue of pollution is a strong aspect of Bladerunner, but not Brave New World. What is the reason for this difference? Differing contexts. When Huxley wrote BNW, there was little concern about this issue. When Scott directed BR, there was massive concern.

jonoob

HSC
The city of London in BNW is based on Los Angeles as this was a satire of the beginning of the 'Americanisation' of Britain at the time Huxley wrote the text (1930's).
Similarly Los Angeles of 2019 in Blade Runner is based on Tokyo because the beginning of globalisation in the early 1980's was threatening and fearful for America facing a corporate japanese Invasion.
However Blade Runner doesn't satirise the idea of this but creates fear and unease, whereas Huxley is satirising the idea of capitalism and consumerism.

I don't know if that helps or not.....:)

richgirl.cc

Lazy workaholic
HSC
thanx guys! got 14/15! Now I only hope I can get that in the HSC....:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)