Board of Studies reveals 2004 raw marks (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but that would mean that a statute would have had to be made since the stature overides the precedent ?? what the hell?? so that means i wont be able to get my raw marks back? stupid government!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:
but that would mean that a statute would have had to be made since the stature overides the precedent ?? what the hell?? so that means i wont be able to get my raw marks back? stupid government!
Yepzies remember wrong turn wat did you learn in legal studies when there is a clash between common and statute law, statute law prevails, also that the government at anytime can make a law that overrides a precedent as long as its not unconstitutional

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
melsc said:
Yepzies remember wrong turn wat did you learn in legal studies when there is a clash between common and statute law, statute law prevails, also that the government at anytime can make a law that overrides a precedent as long as its not unconstitutional
melsc i was just stating my disbelief or merely questioning the illogical truth that it seems :p i just cant believe that the parliament would amend or create an act for this?! if they have they are shonks!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:
melsc i was just stating my disbelief or merely questioning the illogical truth that it seems :p i just cant believe that the parliament would amend or create an act for this?! if they have they are shonks!!
They have too much time on their hands :p...lol u know me I jump at any excuse to spout legal stuff

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There is no statute or legislation that prevents you gaining access to your own marks.

There isn't even a common law decision yet - nothing has been decided by the courts.

All that has happened is that the Board has made an administrative decision which has not yet been challenged.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:
There is no statute or legislation that prevents you gaining access to your own marks.

There isn't even a common law decision yet - nothing has been decided by the courts.

All that has happened is that the Board has made an administrative decision which has not yet been challenged.
Could someone take it to the AAT if they really wanted?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The appropriate action would be to seek a review of the decision in the NSW ADT (the State equivalent of the Cwlth AAT).

So, yes, it can be done, by someone with proper standing.

Captain pi

HSC
Lazarus said:
The appropriate action would be to seek a review of the decision in the NSW ADT (the State equivalent of the Cwlth AAT).

So, yes, it can be done, by someone with proper standing.
What, in this instance, would be involved in a review by the NSW ADT?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
HSC over for me, i dotn came any more how they scaled me. all i care now is for it to get Harder so others can suffer mahaha

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
SashatheMan said:
HSC over for me, i dotn came any more how they scaled me. all i care now is for it to get Harder so others can suffer mahaha
I have to admit that that was one of the most random posts I have ever seen on BoS :p

mattchan

HSC
you know, do you get your 30 bucks back if your application is denied?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No.

But if you appeal, and the decision is overturned, you can have the appeal fee reimbursed.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
So, will we (the 2005ers) have the chance to fill out this form and request our raw marks? Is there any hope that we will receive them?

Captain pi

HSC
Danni07 said:
So, will we (the 2005ers) have the chance to fill out this form and request our raw marks? Is there any hope that we will receive them?
Any citizen has the right to make an application under the Freedom of Information Act.

As to the likelihood of disclosure, that is dependent on how far you intend to pursue it. In my immense legal knowledge ( :rolleyes: ) and my dealings with the Board, I would say that it would be a dead set certainty that the Board would internally refuse the documents; however, if you took it to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal, I think it would be (almost) certain that the documents would be disclosed – but this means forking out the dough for legal costs etc. etc.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I agree with Captain pi.

The legal costs would (roughly) be:

$30 initial application fee (BOS)
$40 internal review fee (BOS)
$55 external review fee (ADT)

= $125

But once that was done, if successful, any student would be able to obtain their marks with just the initial fee of $30.

Captain pi

HSC
Lazarus said:
I agree with Captain pi.

The legal costs would (roughly) be:

$30 initial application fee (BOS)
$40 internal review fee (BOS)
$55 external review fee (ADT)

= $125

But once that was done, if successful, any student would be able to obtain their marks with just the initial fee of $30.
If someone requested all raw band cut-offs and made them public, no-one would really need to make an application as an accurate estimation (rounding would still cause problems) for the raw marks could be deduced from the cut-offs.

I wonder if all HSC students should employ someone ;) to make such an application: $125/60000 = less than 0.3 c each.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There might be a few more costs incurred in a matter like that... raw band cut-offs are (or seem to be?) slightly more controversial, which means the Board would be more likely to appeal an adverse decision made by the Tribunal. :)

Though I suppose the actual cost of the appeal would fall to them. Mainly just additional costs in terms of time and preparation etc.

Captain pi

HSC
Lazarus said:
There might be a few more costs incurred in a matter like that... raw band cut-offs are (or seem to be?) slightly more controversial, which means the Board would be more likely to appeal an adverse decision made by the Tribunal. :)

Though I suppose the actual cost of the appeal would fall to them. Mainly just additional costs in terms of time and preparation etc.
[comment]I'll speak to you in November. ;)[/comment]

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Captain pi said:
Any citizen has the right to make an application under the Freedom of Information Act.
[comment]Very clever. :p[/comment]

HSC
Hi,

Im an 05er and was thinking about sending one in. Is it too ealry to do it now? Should I wait until Nov/Dec?

Also, should I use the form that was linked earlier in this thread? Has it been modified to give the 'ticks'...if so, do you think they (BOS) will recognise my application is from here (boredOS) and .'. not accept it due to the likeliehood of me putting my results up here...

Shouldnt I be studyig now? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)