Bobness - Lear personal response question (1 Viewer)

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
Bobness told me to post it here, so:

Now that I understand how to structure a personal response courtesy of that ETA document, all I need to do is come up with a decent one. But i'm not sure if it classifies as my personal response... or if i'm just discussing the play :/.

If my reading was family orientated, in that Edmond's opportunistic ways mean that he is the instigator of most of the drama in the play because
a) He forges the letter
b) He pits Regan and Gonerill against each other
c) Yet despite his deceptive ways, he tries to appear to others as trustworthy and empathetic "if the matter were good, my lord, i durst swear it were his; but in respect of that, i would fair think it were not"

Would that be suitable for my "personal reading"? if i write about my opionion being that Edmond is the cause for much of the shift from order to chaos, coupled with Lear's wish to quantify love?

Thank you Bobness.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lolcal said:
Bobness told me to post it here, so:

Now that I understand how to structure a personal response courtesy of that ETA document, all I need to do is come up with a decent one. But i'm not sure if it classifies as my personal response... or if i'm just discussing the play :/.

If my reading was family orientated, in that Edmond's opportunistic ways mean that he is the instigator of most of the drama in the play because
a) He forges the letter
b) He pits Regan and Gonerill against each other
c) Yet despite his deceptive ways, he tries to appear to others as trustworthy and empathetic "if the matter were good, my lord, i durst swear it were his; but in respect of that, i would fair think it were not"

Would that be suitable for my "personal reading"? if i write about my opionion being that Edmond is the cause for much of the shift from order to chaos, coupled with Lear's wish to quantify love?

Thank you Bobness.
(The following applies to all others studying Module B Critical Study of Text – which is the reason I asked Callum to post it up for others)

Essentially, it is classified as a ‘personal response’ if you discuss the text using techniques. And specifically theatrical techniques for a play like KL as you would be following the syllabus rubric of how language shapes meaning according to “medium of production”.

Again, using the term ‘readings’ should be avoided: perspectives, criticisms and even interpretations are better terms that are not weighed down by years of reductive ‘deconstruction’ of texts. A reading implies that you are viewing the play entirely from a certain ideological perspective, and while this may be part of your personal response, it is preferable (according to the Module B Support Document syllabus) if you demonstrate your understanding of the prescribed text through strong textual analysis meshed with critical engagement.

In regards to the second part of your post: family-orientated understanding, this would definitely be a personal response if you are then able to support it with the text (techniques) and with others’ views (critics). The latter point is linked with the direct quote “research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text” from the syllabus.

Thirdly, your other supplementary ideas of “transition from order to chaos” and “human love” (note how I have tried to formulate these as universal issues which again relates to the syllabus dot point “explore questions of textual integrity and significance”?) can work together with “familial relationships” to create a three-pronged thesis that deals with BIG IDEAS in the context of Shakespeare’s Jacobean society, supported by your techniques and critics. Critics in KL can also be viewed as productions (just don’t focus too much on this, balance it with techniques).

So (following the points I have outlined above logically), if you can see how the body of your essay can consist of these three universal conditions reflected by language techniques reflected by context which reflects textual integrity, then you have fulfilled the module rubrics. The only other thing markers would look for at this stage (in the external HSC) would be significant insight which can manifest itself in for eg philosophers you have encountered and interdisciplinary inclusions ie idea of historical narratives and the destabilisation of chronological time that is extrapolated upon in the turbulent religious, political and economic contexts of the play.

NB This would also be useful for preliminary students studying the equivalent of 'critical study' or 'close study' of text in advanced modules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)