BOD.... (1 Viewer)

Yindi

HSC
Biological or Biochemical oxygen demand, what's the difference, and what should we know about it for the HSC. Thank you anyone in advance :)

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Biological or Biochemical oxygen demand, what's the difference, and what should we know about it for the HSC. Thank you anyone in advance :)
Biochemical Oxygen Demand, I don't think there is any difference, however this is the terminology of the syllabus so it would be wise to use it. BOD is really the implicit measurement of organic matter present in a water system. You can measure it by measuring the initial dissolved oxygen (by gas sensitive electrodes or winkler method), and then having a 5 day interval where it is measured again, then subtract the initial DO from the final and that is the BOD.

Yindi

HSC
Nope, only 14, I made this account ages ago, didn't use it for a long time and forgot how to edit my signature, worked it out now though. Sorry to disappoint you.

dawooddaman

HSC
Nope, only 14, I made this account ages ago, didn't use it for a long time and forgot how to edit my signature, worked it out now though. Sorry to disappoint you.
any reason? 4 unit English isn't that all BS

Yindi

HSC
any reason? 4 unit English isn't that all BS
Hmmm, I probably could have kept it, but I wasn't ranked as well in ext 1 as I would have liked to have been after the half yearlies, and ext 2 was eating up way too much of my time and I found myself having to choose between 4U english and 4U math a lot which I didn't like. Plus they're so different to my other subjects, (except advanced obviously), science and maths just comes so much easier to me than english, though I'm still happy with my performance in Advanced. If I had the option I would not have taken English all together, but unfortunately, if I want to be accepted into a Ba of Biomedicine or Science I need to know how to write a creative writing piece, understand belonging, compare Shakespeare with a modern day representation of his text, critically study a post modern piece and explore the complex inter-relationship between History and Memory displayed in poetry. All of which are things that I will surely use again in my science career... haha rant over.

Also, back to BOD, when you say "measurement of organic matter", how does this relate to bacteria, (aerobic or anaerobic, I would assume aerobic?) as I have seen a lot of texts refer specifically to them. Thanks again.

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, I probably could have kept it, but I wasn't ranked as well in ext 1 as I would have liked to have been after the half yearlies, and ext 2 was eating up way too much of my time and I found myself having to choose between 4U english and 4U math a lot which I didn't like. Plus they're so different to my other subjects, (except advanced obviously), science and maths just comes so much easier to me than english, though I'm still happy with my performance in Advanced. If I had the option I would not have taken English all together, but unfortunately, if I want to be accepted into a Ba of Biomedicine or Science I need to know how to write a creative writing piece, understand belonging, compare Shakespeare with a modern day representation of his text, critically study a post modern piece and explore the complex inter-relationship between History and Memory displayed in poetry. All of which are things that I will surely use again in my science career... haha rant over.

Also, back to BOD, when you say "measurement of organic matter", how does this relate to bacteria, (aerobic or anaerobic, I would assume aerobic?) as I have seen a lot of texts refer specifically to them. Thanks again.
Your assumption is correct :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)