Bond University, and conclusion? (1 Viewer)

jellyback

HSC
While Bond is generally perceived as a school of dubious reputation for rich kids, I'm quite swayed by their prospectus (good marketing I know, but not necessarily a bad thing) and very interested in applying.

However as you would imagine, the lingering doubts on employment prospects and public opinion is holding me back.

On the flipside though, there are many who praise its teaching quality, small class sizes etc. and the claims about Bond graduates having the highest satisfaction and starting salary etc.

I visited the campus for myself and really did find the staff more helpful and friendly than most other Unis. More importantly I like how the school invest in facilities for the different faculties - moot court for Law, trading room for Finance etc.

I get the impression they're putting alot of effort towards raising their reputation and see that as good thing for students like me.

Yes, they have expensive fees but other Unis have a larger population and also full-fee students but don't seem to invest the same amount of money into infrastructure and good lecturer ratio.

So, I'm very confused. My heart says Bond, my head says no.

Does anyone have a balanced opinion on this? Is trading off "prestige" for better teaching quality a risk worth taking? My neighbour's daughter is at ANU, and while she discouraged me, she did concede that Bond has a very impressive Law library.

GinoIs

HSC
Think of Bond as a prestigious school. Think of UQ, QUT, Grif as a public school.

Get a great score from a public school and people will see that you have what it takes when you're by yourself with no one holding your hands.

jellyback

HSC
Thanks, that's an interesting way to look at it. Perhaps I will finally go with my head now.

spence

HSC
Who cares if it's less prestigious? You're doing an undergrad degree in Australia, so prestige is basically non-existant whatever you do. If you're willing to pay the extra money for what you perceive to be better quality education, then notions of prestige shouldn't change anything

xJennax

HSC
I am a Bond student and I can say that I absolutely love it!

It does offer a lot of personal help and it's true about the small class sizes, teaching quality, graduate sucess, ect.

I went to a very average public school but after researching into Bond I realised I really wanted to go there. I have got a fee help loan and the way I see it is that I will be paying off a loan regardless of what uni I go to, so I would rather go to one that I would be happier at. & if the graduate starting salaries are anything to go by, paying it off shouldn't be an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)