Book List (1 Viewer)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Yeah, it seems to be all good now.

So, how many books does everyone need - and how much is it going to cost you? I need 5 plus 2 recommended, costing around $413 or $475 with the 2 recommended. It seems quite ex-y!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
That's lots!

I've spent $225 so far, have another $100 to spend when they get the book in and one course left that doesn't have any entry on either site.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
That's lots!

I've spent $225 so far, have another $100 to spend when they get the book in and one course left that doesn't have any entry on either site.
What degree are you doing? I think Chem is the culprit here - 4 texts for it. Biomed science is the other ex-y one. Hoping i dont have to take them all with me!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
lourai*87 said:
What degree are you doing? I think Chem is the culprit here - 4 texts for it. Biomed science is the other ex-y one. Hoping i dont have to take them all with me!
you don't. i was in biomed last year - they give you a whole heap of text books but you don't need half of them --> they're all in the library and never checked out. but if you do buy them, then no, you will never have to carry any of them around.

Yeah, my books will be pretty expensive, though not as bad as last year. The law books for my course are dear, but since im doing arts as my combined major itsa not so bad, most of those books are easy to pick up second hand or just borrow and read.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Whats your degree, or courses? All the courses arent listed on the first lot, i think theres about 8 'pages'. And i also found if i put it in search and hit enter, nothing came up, but when i clicked search it did. But lucky you if you dont need any!

jgeo2000

HSC
if i include recommended books i would be paying $789 for first semester... like hell im paying that for paper. if i take away the recommended itas just over $500 and ive looked on www.textbookexchange.com.au and they all seem to be the wrong editions or do not exist

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
chamelia said:
So what does it mean if i go to the site and none of my course codes are there?

No textbooks needed?
It could mean they haven't got them in yet; in my case there was an entry for a course on the co-op site but not on ucb, and when I asked at ucb they checked and simply had not ordered this particular book yet.

So just wait a while and they might appear. If they don't, then you may use something other than a textbook which I'm guessing you'll find out at the first lecture anyway.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Don't stress about getting the textbooks, u'd be crazy if u ran out and got all the prescribed ones... i reckon the best bet is to use the library until u work out what u'll actually use. Unless of course u intend to start reading before semester starts... but i'd still say ur wasting ur time :p

***Start advertisement***
That said, if anyone wants a Chem text by Silberberg, let me know... not the lastest ed, but newer than what the uni library has, so i guess that's a good thing ;)
***End ad***

cheers :p

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
The books are not ordered by ucb until the course co-ordinators put in a request, they are never organised.

However, 2 of my texts are available and they are both over 100 bucks :(.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
jgeo2000 said:
if i include recommended books i would be paying $789 for first semester... like hell im paying that for paper. if i take away the recommended itas just over $500 and ive looked on www.textbookexchange.com.au and they all seem to be the wrong editions or do not exist
well, firstly, you can ask your lecturer about editions. often the differences between editions are marginal, so if you need the textbook getting an older edition may still work - you may just have to use a library copy for one section or something if its different.
secondly, depending on what courses you're doing of course, you may not need all the books. in many courses - sciences particularly - the textbooks seem to be more of a follow-up and guide rather than essential. If, however, you're doing english, history etc. type subjects obviously you'd need to buy the texts or borrow them so thatyou can read what you're studying - but those books aren't the expensive ones anyway

em_516

bludging..
HSC
yeh, if anyone wants some slightly bent micro and macro text books (incl. workbooks, macro's is completely untouched :D) let me know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)