Books are overpriced? (1 Viewer)

bubbly89

HSC
Anyone else a library fan? Its true the Sydney libraries aren't the best, but its a good way to check out whether you like an author without investing much.

08er

HSC
the one on the main road lol...

im a sucker for new books though :(

X

xeuyrawp

cxlxoxk said:
Who thinks books are too expensive, i mean it's just ink on paper, binded?
It's called a library.

bubbly89 said:
Anyone else a library fan? Its true the Sydney libraries aren't the best, but its a good way to check out whether you like an author without investing much.
Sydney Uni library is the biggest in the southern hemisphere.

bubbly89

HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's called a library.

Sydney Uni library is the biggest in the southern hemisphere.
I was actually referring to the Sydney Public libraries, but out of interest can you become a member of the sydney library if you're not a student? I'm at UNSW that's all...

chaldoking

HSC
To be honest - I don't really care too much about the price of a book, the enjoyment I get out of reading the book pays off in the end - in most cases that is :) THE ORANGE PENGUIN CLASSICS ARE THE BEST!

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Buy them from Vinnies. They're $2-5 and are usually in good condition

chamelia

HSC
The Orange penguin books are brilliant and spot on priced. I own Lolita, The Secret History, Tales of the Unexpected and will be getting two more for Christmas. I think they look lovely too!

Also, Borders often has some great reads in their bargain section - for $5 each.

And if you are really tight - the local library works, albeit with a limited collection. Or try a school / university library.

And then second hand bookshops and market stalls. Get friendly with a middle ager who has set up a market stall selling the kind of books you enjoy and they will knock down the price without you even asking.

Then share your books with your friends and family.

Reading is only expensive if you want it to be. And books are always worth the investment. If you consider the length of time and amount of effort the authors have put into creating their work - $20 doesn't seem too heavy.

sirfeathers

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Those orange penguin books are good. $10.00 fo some classic texts.

Pretty ugly tho
oooh i am loving these right now. they're making up most of my "to read" list atm

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
There's a place called the library sunshine lol

oh and you can get it in ebook format on computer but its so much harder to read from that

Rainie

HSC
Intellectual knowledge is expensive and takes a long time to put pen to paper :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
www.booko.com.au
^ I live by this site

You can normally get books from the bookdepository for like 50% of the price you see them in book stores in Australia. The only thing is that you have to wait for postage which can take a while coz they come all the way from england, but usually with me its about a week.

Jessicaz2910

HSC
well yes i agree with you but i thiink the authours of those books put so much time and effort into writing it so they would wanna get a pay for it

jennieTalia

HSC
Um...it's not the papers and ink that are expensive...it's the ideas & all other sorts of things that come with the books that are expensive.

That's why exercise books are cheap.
Depends, I find the average paper back cheap.
I find graphic novels, collaborative works and hardbacks more expensive. It also depends on where you shop... if you want a classic, hit up a second-hand book store.
If you want the new releases try ebay.

Books are also expensive because many are translated, shipped from abroad or (in the case of informational ones) they require a great deal of research, and they have to spend money themselves to gain access to archives and people.

But I do agree that they are overpriced often, hence why we have libraries :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)