books that say they r true but not (1 Viewer)

Jessica14

HSC
I don't even know what to say to that, except, I'm sorry that you've been brainwashed.
Lol, agreed. I can't say anything for the other two holy texts, but the Bible, the New Testament of the Bable, that is, was decided upon by fascist and power-hungry cardinals at the Council of Trent and reflected only what they wanted in the religion. It did not fall to Earth from Heaven via facsimile.

End rant.

Can we get back to what this thread was aimed to be about? I'm uncertain as to veracity of By Way of Deception by Victor Ostrovsky.

Sprangler

HSC
wasn't it true? picnic at hanging rock i mean
No it wasn't. It would have been a cool little mystery though.

Can we get back to what this thread was aimed to be about? I'm uncertain as to veracity of By Way of Deception by Victor Ostrovsky.
Well there's no real way to prove most of the operations apart from the ones that are well known, e.g. when they bombed the Iraq nuclear reactor, and even then there's still no way to prove any of the internal details of how they were carried out, because as normal the Israeli administration would just give a nod and that's it.
I see no reason for him to be lying though, he seems to genuinely agree with what Israel stands for and joined Mossad to protect his people, but left when he got fucked over and witnessed the bad turns it had taken.

Jessica14

HSC
Well there's no real way to prove most of the operations apart from the ones that are well known, e.g. when they bombed the Iraq nuclear reactor, and even then there's still no way to prove any of the internal details of how they were carried out, because as normal the Israeli administration would just give a nod and that's it.
I see no reason for him to be lying though, he seems to genuinely agree with what Israel stands for and joined Mossad to protect his people, but left when he got fucked over and witnessed the bad turns it had taken.
I can understand your reasoning here. I can't see a reason for him to lie and his authenticity as a former Mossad operative is backed up by Gordon Thomas in Gideon's Spies, but there is no secondary source, that I can find, to support his claims which leaves me slightly questioning the accuracy of the book.

And I've never met anyone else who has read By Way of Deception. I thought it was a long shot by even adding it to this thread.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
I think you guys are missing one major fact here. When you pick up a fiction book, Ill say it again, when you pick up a fiction book, you are ignorant to think that it will be factual. Sure, it may have some facts, but ultimately its a lie, as per the definition of a fiction book.

so when you read a fiction book and it says "this is based on a true story", you have to realise the statement is fiction in itself. when you think what you are reading actually happened to someone, the impact of the events becomes bigger, and the story hits you on a deeper level as a reader.

I mean, if JK opened all of her books with "The following events are entirely factual and thoroughly researched using multiple sources." would you start to believe in the existence of magic?
WaaaaaT ON ERaTH DO U MEaN???????????????/

REaD " GREIF GIRL" BY Erin Vincent thats r true story about her life.

but the thing is about "forbidden love" is it's written true story but the facts r %^&* bullcrap. The whole story is fake they made a documentry called "forbidden lies" to prove it's a fake. I just want 2 know is their anyone else who read or watched anything & it was 2 be true but turned out a fake.

LordPc

HSC
WaaaaaT ON ERaTH DO U MEaN???????????????/

REaD " GREIF GIRL" BY Erin Vincent thats r true story about her life.

but the thing is about "forbidden love" is it's written true story but the facts r %^&* bullcrap. The whole story is fake they made a documentry called "forbidden lies" to prove it's a fake. I just want 2 know is their anyone else who read or watched anything & it was 2 be true but turned out a fake.
You must realise that no matter what, opinion and perspective of the author will influence the written word at one point or another. various details may be exaggerated, enhanced, embellished or excluded altogether to make the story more interesting.

you may find the rare book that comes close to telling a factual story but somewhere along the line there will be a lie. a name, a detail, perhaps even a subplot, but the lie will exist.

I'd even go as far to say that if you did find a book that was purely factual, then it couldnt be classified as a fiction book. after all, where is the "fiction" if its all true?

I think "based on a true story" is about all you can say for sure.

lol, so much analysis of what it means to be a "true story". I'm so glad that my preferred area is spec. fic. where I dont have to worry about any of this.

(hmmm ... true story. thats got to be an oxymoron right?)

Zedez

HSC
You mean magic isn't real?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek::burn::jaw:

Did anyone read "The day my bum went phyco." when they were smaller? It had "based on a true story" on the front, but it obviously wasn't, the author was just having a joke or something. But it makes you wonder how many others are simply untrue. Does anyone know if there are any laws or such in place about publishing books that claim to be factual? Does the Publisher have to do any follow up?

LordPc

HSC
You mean magic isn't real?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek::burn::jaw:

Did anyone read "The day my bum went phyco." when they were smaller? It had "based on a true story" on the front, but it obviously wasn't, the author was just having a joke or something. But it makes you wonder how many others are simply untrue. Does anyone know if there are any laws or such in place about publishing books that claim to be factual? Does the Publisher have to do any follow up?
again, if its a fiction book its fiction. no way a publisher would fact check the fiction books they publish. Id even doubt it if non-fiction books were fact checked. if serious errors are found, it would reflect badly on the author(s) for writing it, not the publisher.

and furthermore, who would complain about a fiction book being untrue? look at the da vinci code. AFAIK Brown hasnt been sued despite his claims

Laika_

Banned
HSC
you cant complain about a fiction book being not true that is what fiction is i cant believe people would even try to argue that :confused:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
again, if its a fiction book its fiction. no way a publisher would fact check the fiction books they publish. Id even doubt it if non-fiction books were fact checked. if serious errors are found, it would reflect badly on the author(s) for writing it, not the publisher.

and furthermore, who would complain about a fiction book being untrue? look at the da vinci code. AFAIK Brown hasnt been sued despite his claims
I think the point of this thread is to discuss books that attempt to be non-fiction but tell a person's story, i.e. memoir, like James Frey's A Million Little Pieces or Alice Pung's Unpolished Gem.

And um, if a book claims to be true, then yes, publishers do fact-check an author's work as they are the liable parties in the event that someone wants to sue. They also employ fact-checkers for their non-fiction work as well for the above reason. It's not simply a "bad reflection".

LordPc

HSC
well I suppose you would know more than myself on the matter. but the thing that gets to me is how would a publisher fact check novels based on personal events? (this is why I thought that fact checking for fiction books wouldnt be done as it would be hard to corroborate a lot of what a person has written.)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
well I suppose you would know more than myself on the matter. but the thing that gets to me is how would a publisher fact check novels based on personal events? (this is why I thought that fact checking for fiction books wouldnt be done as it would be hard to corroborate a lot of what a person has written.)
Well, a memoir isn't really a "fiction" book.

And you can fact check certain things about it. Obviously, not subjective things like personal impressions but things like dates, places and people can be examined during the fact checking process.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
I think the point of this thread is to discuss books that attempt to be non-fiction but tell a person's story, i.e. memoir, like James Frey's A Million Little Pieces or Alice Pung's Unpolished Gem.

And um, if a book claims to be true, then yes, publishers do fact-check an author's work as they are the liable parties in the event that someone wants to sue. They also employ fact-checkers for their non-fiction work as well for the above reason. It's not simply a "bad reflection".
thanck u someone also understands the point of this thread.

Has anyone else heard of forbidden lies being a fake or am i the only one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)