• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Books turned into movies (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
happy cup said:
Harry Potter? The Notebook? A Walk to remember? Lord of the Rings? etc etc. Is the movie version usually better than the book?
The movie version if often different from the book.

I try to look at them as seperate entities with the same basic story.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
i read a book called 'P.S I love you' by Cecilia Adhern (or smtg like dat) n in the book they said that it will be made into a movie...but i havent heard n e thing about it...has anyone read the book??

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I like the books better. At least out of every movie that I've seen and read the book.
It's especially worse when they make the movie AFTER you've read the book. They cut so much out and put so much crap into movies that it just gives me the shits.
Especially LotR. Look at what they did to it! That was sacrilige!

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
I like the books better. At least out of every movie that I've seen and read the book.
It's especially worse when they make the movie AFTER you've read the book. They cut so much out and put so much crap into movies that it just gives me the shits.
Especially LotR. Look at what they did to it! That was sacrilige!
The notebook novel was diff to the movie. but i still <3 it.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
I like the books better coz the movies always seem 2 leave something out that makes the tale not as good as the original book...

For example "a clockwork orange" was adapted to a movie quickly because the author really needed money. Wat many ppl dont know it that the book (by anthony burgess) has an extra chapter which the movie left out - and consequentally changed the whole ending of the novel.....

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
Mr_Shrimp said:
books and film are two totally different mediums that really can't be compared so simply. Of course they have to cut things from books for the movies, they are movies, not accurate representations. Books are aimed at a somewhat different audience than many films. I'd say that there are some great 'book to movie' films but they will never be the same as the books, it's impossible. You just have to go and watch the movie, forgetting you've read the book. Forget all the characters and the story and let the movie make it's own characters and plot :). you'll enjoy the movie much more if you arent constantly saying "hey, that's not what happened! first they went to xxx and did yyy, THEN they went there and did zzz".......
amen, i try and do the same. though bridget jones 2 was the one adaptation that i couldn't relax and go with, but that's more to do with issues of them remaking the first film, rather than filming the book. But generally, yep, i'm with you, see them as different texts and it'll be much less distressing!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
just finished watching "sense and sensibility" and i cant believe i didnt watch it sooner :D im going to read the book now :D

keladry

lady knight
HSC
the worst ever adaption of a book into a movie was definitely Queen of the Damned - they completely butchered it *still pissed after 4 years* i hope disney doesn't do the same for narnia... although they do have a rep for doing crappy adaptions...

EDIT: forgot to say that lotr, the notebook and walk to remember movies were pretty good as stand-alones - just not if u've read the books (well the notebook book could've been better =P)

Last edited:

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
The only example I can think of where movie > book: The Phantom of the Opera.

Perhaps the untranslated French version is better. But then, I can't read that. :p I guess it's a little unfair to use PotO as an example though, given that it's more based on the musical than the book.

jennylim

HSC
just a few i can think of...

HP books >>>>>>>>>>>>> HP movies (screw you, kloves!!!!!..plus the spirit of the books are lost)

LotR? hmm. i like both, actually, and i really think jackson did the best job possible. so i'm going to go greater than or equal to LotR films.

some movie adaptations that i just love include anne of green gables and the 1995 P&P...do they count? or are they more "miniseries"? anyhow they're quite accurate and very lovely in my opinion.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
keladry said:
the worst ever adaption of a book into a movie was definitely Queen of the Damned - they completely butchered it *still pissed after 4 years* i hope disney doesn't do the same for narnia... although they do have a rep for doing crappy adaptions...

EDIT: forgot to say that lotr, the notebook and walk to remember movies were pretty good as stand-alones - just not if u've read the books (well the notebook book could've been better =P)
ahh yes they suck majorly
god my eyes hurt
hp sucked
lotr I thought was reasonable
er
hitchhiker wasn't up to standard. killed douglas adams.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
alphatango said:
The only example I can think of where movie > book: The Phantom of the Opera.

Perhaps the untranslated French version is better. But then, I can't read that. :p I guess it's a little unfair to use PotO as an example though, given that it's more based on the musical than the book.
Yeah, the movie was based off Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical, not the book.
So it's like Chicago, a stage production made into a movie.

Emly

E.T
HSC
you have to look at movies as bing separate texts to the books...

i like dthe LOTR movies, sure, they didnt show EVERYTHING in the books, but to do that in enough detail would have taken about 15movies.

is the notebook book any good? i love that movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)