BoS red potentials WRONG ? (1 Viewer)

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
the values for the standard potentials on the data sheets they give us are different to others you can find in textbooks and internet

E.g.:
in both Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Contexts 2, they give the potential for F2(aq) + 2e --> 2F- as +2.87V but on the data sheet, it says +2.89V :S
there are others that are different, e.g. K+ , Sn2+ and others ; however the majority is the same

i know we'll be using the ones they give us, but should it be a worry ? i was just wondering why theirs are different

random-1006

Banned
HSC
the values for the standard potentials on the data sheets they give us are different to others you can find in textbooks and internet

E.g.:
in both Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Contexts 2, they give the potential for F2(aq) + 2e --> 2F- as +2.87V but on the data sheet, it says +2.89V :S
there are others that are different, e.g. K+ , Sn2+ and others ; however the majority is the same

i know we'll be using the ones they give us, but should it be a worry ? i was just wondering why theirs are different

lol you do all three sciences and 4 unit maths, use your brain :p, look at the difference it is insignificant, there are small errors/ differences in measuring equipment and nothings perfect . LOL. Havent you learnt anything from doing all three sciences??

Last edited:

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
lmaoo i know it's insignificant and the reasons for errors

it's just that everywhere i checked had the same values EXCEPT the boardofstudies data sheet :L

random-1006

Banned
HSC
lol, maybe because the textbooks have nothing to do with board of studies. you use the value on the hsc data sheet ( lol are you actually stressing about this??, also im pretty sure you usually round the voltages to one dec place/ two sig fig, so the difference is eliminated immediately ) , god, are you actually memorising the shit on the data sheet??, serious asian alert.

Last edited:

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
HAHAHAHAHA im not asian lol good call :)

im not stressing lol, im just curious
the values should be the same everywhere; it's science :D
it's like the mass values for the elements in the periodic table, they shouldnt be different :S
and rounding off is bad, its only 2 decimal places

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Not sure why they are different - but yes, most likely some experimental procedure might be different, eg. use of a diferent isotope of the element. Also note that not long ago 'standard pressure' meant 1 atmosphere, or 101.3 kPa, now 'standard pressure' is 100kPa, so some older textbooks would quote the standard potentials using that a different pressure.

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
Not sure why they are different - but yes, most likely some experimental procedure might be different, eg. use of a diferent isotope of the element. Also note that not long ago 'standard pressure' meant 1 atmosphere, or 101.3 kPa, now 'standard pressure' is 100kPa, so some older textbooks would quote the standard potentials using that a different pressure.
thanks, clears it up a bit, but i wouldve thought they update it, the Conquering Chemistry i have is the newest version :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)