BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

ryoung

HSC
short story

'Tales to End Wails'

6400 words, it's a quick read if anyone is interested.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
would please give me a mark estimate for my mw please. I have no idea due to the ineptitude of my teacher (plus he never ever read the script). I would greatly appreciate it. My piece is located on the first page. Thank you.

5233andy

HSC
I don't have the criteria with me, nor am I inclined to download it, however, basedon 'gut-feeling', I'd say 42-ish?

Hey, you've read mine; what would you give it? (I've removed it from the thread seeing that you're the only person who posted your comments online).

LollitaEx

Muggle
HSC
I know this is coming a little late....but Clifford, i really loved yours. I laughed so much. The drawings were very one flew over the cuckoo's nest esque and artha was an enjoyable, conventionally male protagonist who was hilariously angsty.

Can't stop smiling at it, good job

Clifford

HSC
Aw, thanks... 'wishing England', Harry Potter fan, going to Sydney because it's Hogwarts-esque? I'm guessing Nicole? Thanks buddy, that's uber flattering (it was initially moreso because you were a stranger, whereas now I know you only like me because of my looks).

Louise's is on the 8th page, I think; she's Zeppelin Queen (hahah at lame screen name- Lolita is sexy)

LollitaEx

Muggle
HSC
Haha....correct clifford. But i was completely serious. Really loved it.......and your sexy rednut locks are just an added perk

Last edited:

Clifford

HSC
Such acclaimations from the Dim family are certainly flattering. You should dig up some of the other one's around here... asubmarine's is fantastic, and of course Louise's (I still don't know if she won that writers thing) and there's one called '11' which is great too.

GET IT IN YA!

By the way, we need to meet up for ancient.

LollitaEx

Muggle
HSC
Indeed i did read hers......well written. YES, ancient meeting is needed. We should just constantly quiz each other for 2 hours..............and preferably dress as Betty

philphie

Banned
HSC
this is it.

i don't hate it

i don't love it

but it's done

it is what it is

and it will never be done again

oh and make sure to take notice between the dates of the news article and the journal entries.

hopefully someone who's reading it will see it out to the end which really isn't worth it, but hate with knowledge, not ignorance.

and the rs uploaded was the first draft, couldn't find the final anywhere so read it for the purpose to understanding the mw but dont read as what it is, it's basically just a stream of thought.

my favs so far have to be clifford's and catherinets.

Clifford

HSC
this is it.

i don't hate it

i don't love it

but it's done

it is what it is

and it will never be done again

oh and make sure to take notice between the dates of the news article and the journal entries.

hopefully someone who's reading it will see it out to the end which really isn't worth it, but hate with knowledge, not ignorance.

and the rs uploaded was the first draft, couldn't find the final anywhere so read it for the purpose to understanding the mw but dont read as what it is, it's basically just a stream of thought.

my favs so far have to be clifford's and catherinets.
I just read a bit of your mw and the whole reflection, and mate/dude/buddy; I totally agree with you. I was about to write that I couldn't read the whole thing because I need to go to bed to get up early tomorrow to study like a good kid, but after reading the reflection statement, the idea of writing that made me feel sick. But it's the truth. Above nausea give me truth, eh?

I'm definetly living the hermit, homeless idealised dream. 'Into the Wild' certainly made an impact/fucked me over and it's good to see I wasn't alone in getting the compromised disilluishonment dose from it. I'm really curious to read your MW now, (but alas, bed) but the problem with this whole thread, and writing in general, is that when a work's so personal like yours, I don't want to read it, I just want to talk to the author.

Horrible what you said about cigarettes (well placed, I hope you included it), but writing's still very much... my thing, you know? Your photography, their Koshy... Oh, and I went on Night Patrol as well. It's so strange, I know all the places you wrote about, we went there too. Even though that was in yr 11, the images, the horrible, banality of homeless doesn't connect with my idea of a 'wanderer', which is so much more 'Into the Wild', Tolstoy, Jesus, Thoreau... It's pretty disappointing through, really, that that's the option. But I guess you said the main problem is lacking plans. But I plan to write. I plan to live, and be happy and write. So maybe that's possible. But of course the problem is that I'm still a slave to marks and studying now. You know, it's 'after HSC I'll go bohemian'. But after HSC it'll be uni, and after that job, kid, marriage, death, there'll never be time.

Then I just hate myself for getting to this point (feeling quite low) and then deciding to drown it with sleep or reading, or whatever. It's just that compromise. Plus, I tear everyone to pieces and condemn TV and everything, yet, god, all I've done today is watched TV, memorised pointless, uninspiring shit, written the same essay 1000 times. Listened to some music. Read your thing. Woke up. Now I'm going to go sleep.

Compromise, compromise, compromise; I'm living the slow burning nightmare.

and writing about it on BOS. Nice.

philphie

Banned
HSC
I just read a bit of your mw and the whole reflection, and mate/dude/buddy; I totally agree with you. I was about to write that I couldn't read the whole thing because I need to go to bed to get up early tomorrow to study like a good kid, but after reading the reflection statement, the idea of writing that made me feel sick. But it's the truth. Above nausea give me truth, eh?

I'm definetly living the hermit, homeless idealised dream. 'Into the Wild' certainly made an impact/fucked me over and it's good to see I wasn't alone in getting the compromised disilluishonment dose from it. I'm really curious to read your MW now, (but alas, bed) but the problem with this whole thread, and writing in general, is that when a work's so personal like yours, I don't want to read it, I just want to talk to the author.

Horrible what you said about cigarettes (well placed, I hope you included it), but writing's still very much... my thing, you know? Your photography, their Koshy... Oh, and I went on Night Patrol as well. It's so strange, I know all the places you wrote about, we went there too. Even though that was in yr 11, the images, the horrible, banality of homeless doesn't connect with my idea of a 'wanderer', which is so much more 'Into the Wild', Tolstoy, Jesus, Thoreau... It's pretty disappointing through, really, that that's the option. But I guess you said the main problem is lacking plans. But I plan to write. I plan to live, and be happy and write. So maybe that's possible. But of course the problem is that I'm still a slave to marks and studying now. You know, it's 'after HSC I'll go bohemian'. But after HSC it'll be uni, and after that job, kid, marriage, death, there'll never be time.

Then I just hate myself for getting to this point (feeling quite low) and then deciding to drown it with sleep or reading, or whatever. It's just that compromise. Plus, I tear everyone to pieces and condemn TV and everything, yet, god, all I've done today is watched TV, memorised pointless, uninspiring shit, written the same essay 1000 times. Listened to some music. Read your thing. Woke up. Now I'm going to go sleep.

Compromise, compromise, compromise; I'm living the slow burning nightmare.

and writing about it on BOS. Nice.
haha yep, you've pretty much pin-pointed every kind of emotion i'm feeling right now. i'm thinking at the end of uni i'll get the bohemian on, maybe not the whole way, but something to the extent like the last king of scotland (i plan to join ayad after uni, which is sort of the aussie version of the peace corps). and i see you're a fan of into the wild and there's no point offending your intelligence by thinking i could get away with the blatantly obvious references in there so i'll just point them straight out. the main character is actually based on a real story that i heard myself while at night patrol, the contempt towrds parents, you could probably take that as a rip off, but then again my parents are exactly like that, i use the thoreau quote supertramp uses, and the sister was originally a completely different character, i actually alluded to some 'beautiful kate' context but that just got overwhelming so i just decided what the hell, rip off into the wild again and rip off her narration. lets just hope i get my just desserts and get caught out. and yes i did include the cigarettes but my teacher forced me to put in an addition about how i thought it was a challenge that i succeeded in. i also don't have a problem with writing, i just have a problem with deadlines and structure, kind of cuts out the creative energy for me, makes it feel somewhat pushed, controlled, and unnatural. and i can't believe you're already on study mode, didn't you just like graduate? good on yah though, while you're hitting the books getting a way better ATAR than me, i'll be at manning bar at usyd to go see the middle east and hopefully making it home in one piece before 2am.

and clifford, i have to say, your mw was probably the most original and imaginative mw i've ever read, very risky, very brave, and a nice way to stick it to the man. it doesn't feel like you're shoving anything down my throat like a lot of mw's do with their faint grasp on pomo.

p.s. ravenclaw sucks, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLYTHERINNNSS 4 LIFE!!...ssssss

Clifford

HSC
Yeah, I saw some preeetty heavy parallels there... Plus I was an enormous fanatic and wrote all the quotes from it down somewhere. Also, I spent about a year trying to find a copy of 'Family Happiness' that wasn't extremly expensive and ended up just reading it in the store. It was actually really disappointing and oddly sexist, but all the same, I've got my own philosophy now.

Thanks for the mw comments. It's so strange, I didn't really see it as being a great risk at all... I don't think I quite thought about it enough, but I've got Zeppelin Queen's assessment mark to fall back on, so it's okay.

One point I'm a tad confused on - "i'll be at manning bar at usyd to go see the middle east and hopefully making it home in one piece before 2am." - I'm an idiot, just wikipediad it... it's the 'an Australian Indie band from Townsville, Queensland', not 'a Christian television station' - right?

That's my intentions AT uni; to care zilch about work just pass, and follow my intellectual/bohemian/life chasing ambitions as much as possible. We'll meet up and go on the road, yeah? Cept I don't want anything to do with a dirty Slytherin...

philphie

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I saw some preeetty heavy parallels there... Plus I was an enormous fanatic and wrote all the quotes from it down somewhere. Also, I spent about a year trying to find a copy of 'Family Happiness' that wasn't extremly expensive and ended up just reading it in the store. It was actually really disappointing and oddly sexist, but all the same, I've got my own philosophy now.

Thanks for the mw comments. It's so strange, I didn't really see it as being a great risk at all... I don't think I quite thought about it enough, but I've got Zeppelin Queen's assessment mark to fall back on, so it's okay.

One point I'm a tad confused on - "i'll be at manning bar at usyd to go see the middle east and hopefully making it home in one piece before 2am." - I'm an idiot, just wikipediad it... it's the 'an Australian Indie band from Townsville, Queensland', not 'a Christian television station' - right?

That's my intentions AT uni; to care zilch about work just pass, and follow my intellectual/bohemian/life chasing ambitions as much as possible. We'll meet up and go on the road, yeah? Cept I don't want anything to do with a dirty Slytherin...
yep the middle east, indie band. you should really give them a listen if you're into the indie baroque folk ambient post rock collective stuff (trust me there is such a genre). i'm not really into the christian thing despite going to a catholic school and half my family being french catholics (not including me).

i don't think i could stand a road trip with a know it all ravenclaw brat.

anyway despite the obvious rip offs (which i swear were only a couple of parts, but then again i haven't read it since i finished it) what do you think of the writing style? i never actually write like that, just decided to try something new. i actually hate the voicing quite a lot, the character seems a bit snide, passive, and too self immersed, and the reason why that makes me feel so uncomfortable is this guy is inspired by me and so whenever i read it, i'm just like: am i really like that? but then again that's self expression isn't? just another way of saying self centerednesss.

so you keep talking about uni, where do you hope to end up?

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
I think as an EE2 student asking questions on the validity of post-modernism is essential. It's almost our responsibility to respond to the hopelessness of the whole thing, and I think your story works really well as a personal response to this.
hey can you please explain this a little further. i don't do pomo in EE1 so i need a clarification here

hopelessness in what sense

Last edited:

Asubmarine

HSC
hey can you please explain this a little further. i don't do pomo in EE1 so i need a clarification here

hopelessness in what sense
hopelessness in the sense that pomo is the supposed end of literary invention. My perspective on pomo is rather heavily influenced by my interests in poetry (esp experimental poetics) though. Foreseeably for some it's not 'hopeless' but the idea that we've come to the "end of creativity" is at the very least enough to make our present contributions to literature seem insignificant.
The fact that pomo is almost entirely predicated upon a chaotic narrative form is also quite disheartening.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
hopelessness in the sense that pomo is the supposed end of literary invention. My perspective on pomo is rather heavily influenced by my interests in poetry (esp experimental poetics) though. Foreseeably for some it's not 'hopeless' but the idea that we've come to the "end of creativity" is at the very least enough to make our present contributions to literature seem insignificant.
The fact that pomo is almost entirely predicated upon a chaotic narrative form is also quite disheartening.
Firstly, I have to say that I agree with you in regards to this "end of creativity" – but I'd love for you to explain, you seem very intelligent. I'm not familiar with the literary aspect of pomo (apart from these apparent convention-like tropes that the BOS believes all pomo texts are characterised by, e.g. 'intertextuality', 'self-reflexivity', 'pastiche' etc.) and as I mentioned before, I don't do pomo in EE1 (I do crime-writing lol).

I guess I'm only familiar with the 'hopelessness' of pomo in terms of reliability and objectivity (although it is applicable in many ways to literary creativity) from the Hist Ext course, although some refer to this aspect of pomo as post-structuralism. Even though Derridean deconstruction is viewed as nihilistic, seemingly making "our present contributions to literature seem insignificant", I think his later works reflected that he still had a faith in language/creativity (e.g. his reading of Khora in Plato's Timaeus and his concept of the parergon). However, and paradoxically, this 'hopelessness' was forever hindering his works, for he only wrote in fragments in his later life. Perhaps this is, as you believe, what pomo has become.

Sorry if this was a tl;dr. Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)