BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

Clifford

HSC
This is weird...I am usually just a slulker on BOS. I read all, but post little.

Here is mine. Now, I'm off to read the 2009 Showcase...

Congratulations everyone for finishing, and good luck!

Short Story: frayed ribbon
Atwood's breakfast, and Eveline's a Snood. I know you too too well

Writing as I read. Fight was fantastic. Really, breathtaking. So real, ringing in my ears. Wasting time writing now. Where'd you find all this truth?

[FONT=&quot]why she sighed when watching perfect families on TV in perfect houses[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] boring holes in her naive eyes through their assuming, identical scripted exterior.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]crack, crack.

Olive Eyes and Yu - crack crack

[/FONT] I had unlearned all this so long ago; I was better than them, I had the answers, I had the most perfect excuse to crucify ambition.

But, at that moment, I wanted my mom so very much.
crack crack

[FONT=&quot]I tried crying for the cool ebony darkness, [/FONT]

But what about the shoe? It's a symbol yeah, but I thought it was an olive branch? Explain, explain.

So absorbed, every time. I ripple. And I'm so happy you know what I mean.

icola

HSC
thanks :) lol sorry, i changed my mind and took it down cos it felt weird having my preciousness on the internet! :rolleyes:

anyone wanting to read mine [All That Glitters Gold], feel free to pm me.
Unless i change my mind again lol.
My major work is called 'All That Glisters' haha

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Clifford...Clifford...My faithful friend.

Alphabetania, what an amazing world you have created.

Like I said before, this is a bookshelf item for me. This is a story to read to children for a laugh, and to read to adults for a very true and unique glimpse into the way we treat language in this age.

I haven't read the reflection statement, nor do I really want to. I think that your story is about how you believe that "nonsense" has morphed from being a fun, wacky genre to plain nonsense. Now we think of bizarre ways to modify langauge, (the HSC Advanced English Sllyabus is SO indicative of this), and you believe that this is the true nonsense, not the wonderful cock-up's of language that embellished our world, thanks to Carroll and Dahl. Where did the Matilda reference come from, by the way?

Alphabetania is a glimpse into what comes from reading too much into language. What an amazing social commentary! How language is no longer an adoration, but a tool of manipulation?

Language can no longer be beautiful for the sake of it. There are endless meanings and "constructions".

And the reason I love your story so bloody much is because you have seamlessly threaded a serious, thought-provoking subject with such hilarity!

It makes me laugh every time without fail. I can picture every character so clearly, especially the B.O.A. (Your multiple descriptions paid off, in the end!) Freaking love the Deconstrucuralists

“Spose. Wait, youse aren’t trying to make some bloody biblical allusion, are you? Saying that the footpath is a Christ-like figure, and by sacrificing itself it allows for the birth of a sinless humanity? You’d better not be mate, ‘cause this path can’t take another bloody read-”

Hahahaha!

Oh, the glories of having access to a mind of such genius!

Last edited:

Clifford

HSC
URGH! You articulated that so much better than I did in my reflection. Maybe that's because I had to babble on about 'Kate Grenville totally changed me'. But you are RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!

I wish I had said that about it being a tool etc. that true nonsense is the allusions! Dammit! I just babbled about 'satire' and 'subversion' and the good ole hardy 'forgrounding and privledging!' to communicate the EXACT idea you said just then.

Through I did say it was strangled, stabbed and stifled by DAMNED READINGS (how fitting is that alliteration... twas brillig infact)

That last one was truly Lawrence inspired - 'Frankenstein, Mariner, BR all brimming with Christ like figures!'

- 'the blue light represents consumerism'.

Lordy lord!

Clifford

HSC
That being said Zeppelin Queen, I don't think language was ever 'adoration', it's always been wild, and wacky and unrestrained!

diametric

HSC
Clifford: I think the postmodern aspect of things was captured better than I've seen in most Major Works - it really reflected the playfulness, satire and fun that postmodernism is about. The concept was intriguing and the execution fantastic. Congrats.

ha, I feel worse and worse about my work as I read these amazing and complex major works. Goodbye E4.

Last edited:

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Just read ASubmarine's.

Love it. Love poetry, love how you write poetry.

I think the reason I love Water/Sounds so much is because you write in a way I have always aspired to write. I adore writers who can say so much in so few words. Unlike myself, whipping out the theasurus at every opportunity and overcomplicating everything.

Love it. You have a masterful way with language.

Some phrases, I can tell, will stay with me for a long time

"Long shadows
falling down the burnt sun.
Fly rests on my glasses."

"If this cream lily
could express itself
its beauty would be lost."

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Clifford.

I didn't know you read Kate Grenville!!

....So did I....

Are we actually twins?

Clifford

HSC
Clifford: I think the postmodern aspect of things was captured better than I've seen in most Major Works - it really reflected the playful, satirical and fun that postmodernism is about. The concept was intriguing and the execution fantastic. Congrats.
Thanks buddy, but it's odd because I never really thought of it as pomo. I sorta just wanted to rip on the whole idea of language having 'era's. It is a ridiculous fuck you to postmoderism, post-colonialism, modernism, bullshit, bullshit!

I just want to grab some pink floyd lyrics, run up to a teacher hurling convolution at poor, poor language and howl 'HEY, TEACHER, LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE!'

accio.brain

HSC
I just realised I didn't post my refection statement too - it's not that good - twas a little rushed. I'll put them both in the same post to make it less annoying.

Feedback yo? I'm a bit worried about mine :|

Thanks to all who read :)
Just finished reading yours! I liked the whole concept, the thought of a psychologist who counsels others but really doesn't know anything about her own life and well-being, which people often say of real psychologists. It's interesting and I liked it even more because of my own interest in psychology. You described the beginning quite well, something which I at first thought seemed a bit tedious, but I liked the small details, especially the carpet and stain on the wall, haha. It sounds something like what I'd imagine myself to be like if I became a cranky old psychologist who lived alone. Just not the going mad and living on the street bit. Hopefully. As I was reading it, Anna kept reminding me more of myself... which is really creepy. Maybe some weird sign for my future? Though that got a bit unnerving as she finally cracked and went insane. I don't think I'm that... crazy.

There were one or two typos. I read your RS and it sounded a bit narratative, but I think you did say that you weren't too happy with it or something? It's not bad though. I must admit, the lengthy descriptions throughout got tedious at times and her life seemed very boring, but then again that was the point, wasn't it? So you did quite well in expressing the monotony of her life. Haha, I think someone else said this before but I thought the narrator was a man! Then I was like, wait, it's a girl!? lol. The ending was so depressing though! Like she just went around in circles. But again, this was your aim so the effect melded really quite well with this.

"Something that I only ever assumed my heart agreed with" --> I really like that line. Not sure why. It's kind of poetic, in a way. :)

Anyway, I liked your concept and wish you all the best come December! :)

diametric

HSC
i think it's cause most people forget what postmodernism is about. so many people forget that its supposed to be hilarious, its supposed to be chaotic, and its supposed to be FUN.

then again: im of the personal view that all works of fiction written by present-day writers is postmodern in some way or another, because of the influence of the world we live in.

Last edited:

Clifford

HSC
Ha! When I saw I read Kate Grenville, it actually means I referenced Kate Grenville, which means I googled 'short story writing', stole her name, shoved it in Amazon and chucked it in! I just had a glance through my reflection, as the real thorn in its side wasn't the research crap, it was my need to babble on about a cyclical structure, why? I do not know.

We can't be twins... wink wink

Clifford

HSC
i think it's cause most people forget what postmodernism is about. so many people forget that its supposed to be hilarious, its supposed to be chaotic, and its supposed to be FUN.

then again: im of the personal view that all works of fiction written by present-day writers is postmodern in some way or another, because of the influence of the world we live in.

You are right buddy, your right right right. We should start a new form of po-mo, something with a hilarious name that can never be taken seriously! It will be exactly the same deal, but jazzed with wackiness?

Names?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've read two of these majors (the short stories....) and they were quite interesting. A little slow to get into the action for my liking, but very tasteful! ^_^

I hope you go well.

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Ekoolish:

Be proud, my friend, be extremely proud. Yours is the only Critical Response I have ever read that sustained my interest throughout the whole thing.

I think it was because, often, with CR's, the language is so overbearingly professional that my poor, imagination-oriented brain can't handle it. You wrote with flair, while making the language accessible.

I love Agatha Christie. I look forward to reading a next one with a degree of critical understanding!

"Through her characterisation she subverted the themes of global turbulence, agitation and measured violence in order to manufacture a completely adverse environment. Her fruition in relation to the minds of human beings allowed her to emulate contemporary crime novels before they were even conceptualised."

Well done.

Clifford

HSC
Ekoolish:

Be proud, my friend, be extremely proud. Yours is the only Critical Response I have ever read that sustained my interest throughout the whole thing.

I think it was because, often, with CR's, the language is so overbearingly professional that my poor, imagination-oriented brain can't handle it. You wrote with flair, while making the language accessible.

I love Agatha Christie. I look forward to reading a next one with a degree of critical understanding!

"Through her characterisation she subverted the themes of global turbulence, agitation and measured violence in order to manufacture a completely adverse environment. Her fruition in relation to the minds of human beings allowed her to emulate contemporary crime novels before they were even conceptualised."

Well done.
Where is it buddy? I want to find it so I can say something witty to Emma Schadel!

diametric

HSC
when you have the time, could you have a read through mine, clifford? id really like your take on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)