Breaking News: Schappelle Corby found guilty! (3 Viewers)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
spell check said:
australian law is no good either

it just creates a class of luckless victims who have drugs placed in their bags, and of course they can't show who put them there.
I'm not saying Australian law on drugs is good - indeed I disagree with many of the NSW deeming provisions

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm not saying Australian law on drugs is good - indeed I disagree with many of the NSW deeming provisions
It's your own responsibility to care for your own posessions.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
It is, but at the same time there is the "golden thread" that ties the criminal justice system together, the very foundations of our criminal process: innocent until proven guilty.

spell check

HSC
santaslayer said:
so people who don't shrink wrap and lock their luggage before they catch a plane deserve to be punished?

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
It is, but at the same time there is the "golden thread" that ties the criminal justice system together, the very foundations of our criminal process: innocent until proven guilty.
With great respect to the basic underlying notions of the legal system, do you really think that it is possible for the prosecution to prove one's guilt in relation to drug charges? (unless there is very damning evidence (ie. Voice recordings etc))

People will be set free most of the time because there WILL be too many questions unanswered.

The only answer (so far anyway) is to look after your own bags.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
She's fuck ugly. Take the 20. It's better then death or a life sentence. For fucks sake I don't want to read about her on the news anymore.

spell check

HSC
santaslayer said:
With great respect to the basic underlying notions of the legal system, do you really think that it is possible for the prosecution to prove one's guilt in relation to drug charges? (unless there is very damning evidence (ie. Voice recordings etc))

People will be set free most of the time because there WILL be too many questions unanswered.

The only answer (so far anyway) is to look after your own bags.
wait, so you really are saying people who don't lock or shrink wrap their luggage deserve to be imprisoned?

fuck i hope you never have a position of authority

HSC
transcendent said:
She's fuck ugly. Take the 20. It's better then death or a life sentence. For fucks sake I don't want to read about her on the news anymore.
who cares if shes ugly? shes still a person and if she is innocent, then she doesnt deserve to go to jail.

santaslayer

HSC
spell check said:
wait, so you really are saying people who don't lock or shrink wrap their luggage deserve to be imprisoned?

fuck i hope you never have a position of authority
So do you propose we free every alleged trafficker because there isn't enough evidence to charge them? (Yet there is no evidence that she didn't do it?) Something like that would surely undermine public confidence of the judicary. Undermining how Australia operates as a country is like suicide as well. The state will effectively lose all soverignty.

spell check

HSC
santaslayer said:
So do you propose we free every alleged trafficker because there isn't enough evidence to charge them? (Yet there is no evidence that she didn't do it?) Something like that would surely undermine public confidence of the judicary. Undermining how Australia operates as a country is like suicide as well. The state will effectively lose all soverignty.
:rolleyes:

so you are saying we shouldn't let lack of evidence get in the way of a conviction?

i don't think public confidence in the judiciary is a) important or substantiated most of the time, and b) measured by having as many convictions as possible

that would more likely be public confidence in the police or department of public prosecutions

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't believe the evidence supporting Corby's case was any good. It was built on hearsay, conspiracy theories, and constant pleas of her innocence by the Australian public. None of this equates to evidence, and a judge cannot make a decision on the basis that she "looks" innocent. If I were one of the judges, I wouldn't be able to find her guilty - and that's even if she were tried under Australian law.

santaslayer

HSC
spell check said:
:rolleyes:

so you are saying we shouldn't let lack of evidence get in the way of a conviction?

i don't think public confidence in the judiciary is a) important or substantiated most of the time, and b) measured by having as many convictions as possible

that would more likely be public confidence in the police or department of public prosecutions
Kable V DPP (NSW) (1996) 189 CLR 51:

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Put things this way:

You're packing your bags about to head off for Bali (why, God knows), you know exactly what you're putting in your bags, you have not placed any drugs inside.

When you arrive airport security asks to search your luggage.

Would you instantly tell them a straight forward no?

I know I wouldn't, I know I've nothing to hide. Afterall, I packed the bags, I know what's in there.

Well, Schapelle refused. Why would she refuse for security to search her luggage if she packed it herself?

This is the first for instant suspicion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Followed by apparently her jumping forward and attempting to stop the person from opening the bag... People keep claiming that the eye witnesses to this are all liars, but really most of it seems to stink of racial arrogance.

"Those indonesian police! SO CORRUPT!!!" :rolleyes: Sure they are somewhat corrupt (perhaps more-so than our own), however it simply doesn't make sense for them to lie.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh ok I wasn't sure about the refusal, but I heard that there was a confession, and also initially when they went to open up the bag she got up to attempt to stop them, which would be ok if she had something personal like a dildo in there, but there was nothing but pot, flippers, and a body board.

edit: But spin spin, you have to take into account at least somewhat the testimony of police/immigration officers, especially if there are numerous witnesses.

HSC
hey someone just told me that shapelle said that before she put the bag through customs she opened it up, saw drugs in it, was shocked, and thats why she didn't want the custom dudes to check it

did she say this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)