• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bridging Courses- physics and chemistry (1 Viewer)

frootloop

HSC
I'm considering doing a health science course but I haven't done chemistry or physics. I have done Biology and maths- and I do quite well in both.

Would it be wise to do medical radiation science if I haven't done chem or phys? Would the bridging courses be worth it? Would I struggle without doing the bridging courses? It says recommended studies: Mathematics plus one of Physics, Chemistry or Biology.

I'm so indecisive- would it be worth taking the course at all if it's there's so much extra effort in having to travel to uni for (two) bridging courses and paying for them (so expensive) and (still) just barely grasping the lectures and the content?

I'm willing to work hard... but it just sounds like a lot of extra work.

Note to self- I regret not choosing Chemistry and Physics

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

zkuld

newblet
HSC
I went to the chemistry bridging course last year because I dropped out of chemistry in year 12. They taught us pretty much everything on inorganic chemistry but didn't touch on organic. It was well worth it though, the lecturers were decent and the tutors were good and helpful. They also give you a binded textbook for you to use.

It's not a waste of time. It goes for less than 2 weeks out of your 3 month holiday. You will learn a lot and you will make new friends. It is very cheap as well considering how much you would pay for 2 weeks worth of high school tuition.

tennille

HSC
I never did biology in year 12, but I did a fundamentals course last semester for it which requires no previous knowledge of biology. That is also the case for chemistry and physics. However, I'm not sure if they have those subjects at the Cumberland campus. If they do, I would just do the fundamental subjects and not the bridging course. I'm not saying the briding course isn't worth while, but the fundamental courses are introductions to those particular subjects and IMO, you really wouldn't need to complete a briding course.

salsydney

HSC
if i were you, and based on what i hear about radiation science, i would def do the physics bridging course.... there seems to be a fair bit of physics in that degree..... as for chem, you'll only really need that for biochemistry class everybody takes in first year... it'll make that class a bit easier, but if you didn't do the chem bridging course, you wouldn't be struggling, the lecturers are good, and its very basic.

Skeeta

HSC
i did the chem bridging course and it wasnt to bad but i dont think it helped met hat greatly, it depends on the degree you are doing tho - if you do Human Biology and Biochemistry, first semester you should be ok for the chem because they introduce it to you fairly slowly - for any of the radio courses i think you might need it coz i suppose they expect that you're farily science-orientated

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
for any of the radiation sciences i would do physics- however in saying that what you do in those three days is what you do in the first three or 4 lectures at uni so you can assess yourself eg how well you are doing with math ie all the displacement, speed, velocity stufff and see if you want to spend all that money on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)