Bryce Coutney's Jessica (1 Viewer)

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
I was just wondering what people think/thought of Bryce Courtney's novel Jessica. I watched the mini-series on television last year or whenever it was and loved it! I bought the book but was extremely disappointed! I thought the things he put in it were unneccesary and bleak. I know the book is bleak I just think some things are a little over the top. What did you think??

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I read the book first and I thought the mini-series were disappointing!

The book was great. I loved it. Now I can't remember 90% of it.

nwatts

HSC
I think he's a pretty crappy writer. I haven't read Jessica, but after The Potato Factory/The Power of One there was no way I would bring myself to read more from him.

What is it with Australia and producing shite? Tim Winton, Wilbur Smith, Bryce Courtney...

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
it was a great book... i still havent managed to watch the whole of the miniseries... but they changed so much... it didnt look as good

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Some of Bryce Courtenay's writing really disappoints, and his style drags his stories down. He seems to have a childish obsession with bodily functions and a fetish for obese women.
Jesscia was one of his better novels at the beginning but it had such an
anti-climatic ending.

still waiting

HSC
i love it, it is my absolute favourite book of all time, i think that he trys to put in every single detail to describe the scenes in his head but to some people it seems as if hes trying to manipulate them and not allow them to have their so called imagination, with regards to the miniseries i found it largely a disappointment, if you have read the book dont see the miniseries, if youve seen the miniseries dont read the book, they are very differet and i think that the two things all though they have the same story line (with differences) should stand independant of each other,

HSC
I remember reading and loving the book in Year 7 - I never did watch the mini-series, but I do strongly dislike the lead as Jessica.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)