Bsc Adv help. (1 Viewer)

Jimboza1

HSC
Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to select my electives for the BSc adv course, but i'm not sure about how many adv units is actually a reasonable amount in terms of workload. I understand that 24 credit points is minimum for a year, which works out to be 3 electives a semester as advanced units (2 maths, 1 science). However I really would like to do 4 or even 5 simply from reading the course descriptions. Is this entirely normal? Would 5 advanced electives a semester destroy me and be essentially impossible? I really have no clue so any advice would be fantastic.

kennalj

HSC
first year you're not allowed to select 5 subjects per semester you are required to do 24. If I misunderstood you and you said that you want to do more than 24 cp of advanced subjects per year, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to if you made it into bsc adv. If you find it too difficult, you can always withdraw from the advanced subjectsand go down to the standard level. the courses are designed to follow the same subjects in order just in greater depth so that if you do decide to drop down you won't be disadvantaged.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
first year you're not allowed to select 5 subjects per semester you are required to do 24. If I misunderstood you and you said that you want to do more than 24 cp of advanced subjects per year, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to if you made it into bsc adv. If you find it too difficult, you can always withdraw from the advanced subjectsand go down to the standard level. the courses are designed to follow the same subjects in order just in greater depth so that if you do decide to drop down you won't be disadvantaged.
Each Maths subject (per sem) is worth 3 units of study in the first year.

Hence 5 subjects (3x6units+2x3units=24units)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
All advanced is certainly doable. I've even done 30cp of advanced subjects in one semester (24cp senior, 6cp intermediate).

ssglain

HSC
All advanced is certainly doable. I've even done 30cp of advanced subjects in one semester (24cp senior, 6cp intermediate).
Same here. I've overloaded every semester with all advanced/SSP units. The most I've done is 33cp. It's definitely doable. And I know a lot of other people who've done the same.

So if you satisfy the prerequisite for advanced units of study, there's no reason why you shouldn't do them. You should certainly try advanced/SSP units in areas that you're interested in and got good HSC marks for, and you always have the opportunity to drop down to normal if you find the units too demanding.

hermine

HSC
If you find it too difficult, you can always withdraw from the advanced subjectsand go down to the standard level. the courses are designed to follow the same subjects in order just in greater depth so that if you do decide to drop down you won't be disadvantaged.
just wondering, if I do decide to drop from the advanced unit (chem in my case), does my time table change?
Thanks in adv

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
just wondering, if I do decide to drop from the advanced unit (chem in my case), does my time table change?
Thanks in adv
If the adv and standard classes run in parallel, then it won't be a problem. You timetable will change if classes run at different times.

ddtng

HSC
Thanks in adv
If first year chem, yes. If second/third year chem, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)