Buffers (1 Viewer)

NiMm

Since 1988
HSC
Does anyone know how to explain this thankz :p

- What effect rapidly blowing up several ballons will have on the [H+] of blood...

im guessing it has something to do with greater removal of CO2 from our blood

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
The equilibrium converts carbon dioxide to carbonic acid, so removing carbon dioxide by blowing air into a balloon will push the equilibrium to the left, producing more carbon dioxide and hence reducing the concentration of carbonc acid - i.e. reducing the concentration of H+.

speedie

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
The equilibrium converts carbon dioxide to carbonic acid, so removing carbon dioxide by blowing air into a balloon will push the equilibrium to the left, producing more carbon dioxide and hence reducing the concentration of carbonc acid - i.e. reducing the concentration of H+.
why does the equilibrium convert co2 to carbonic acid?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I think it's because when you breathe in, your body absorbs the CO2 and it reacts with water in our bodies shown by the equation:

CO2 + H2O <-> H2CO3

Correct if I'm wrong. :)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Hmm... Riviet, I think the CO2 concentration in the air is rather low to be counted as a major source. The majority of it probably comes from respiration in cells. :)

speedie said:
why does the equilibrium convert CO2 to carbonic acid?
It's just one of the things that nature does ;) The rest's just what dreamy and Riviet said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)