Burnt copies of CDs and going overseas (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm going overseas (to Vietnam, stopover at Singapore), and I was wondering if it was legal to bring burnt copies of CDs, cos I don't wanna bring the originals in case they get scratched

Winston

HSC
i know that most ppl put them in like cd wallets. Like my uncle did he brought like 200 movies over from hong kong in cd wallets

fatmuscle

HSC
I'm wondering the same thing as Nancy

I know they're cutting down on Overseas to Australia, but vice-versa i don't know anyhting aobut.

I'll be bringing
4 blanks (storage for pics)
a burnt copy of freeware stuff plus drivers for specific hardware
1 mp3 cd

i was going to bring my cd wallet, but that's got well over $10k of 'stuff' there and 1000+ mp3's, so i don't think so

J0n

N/A
HSC
Well since it is legal to make one backup copy of your software, i don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to take it overseas as your 'backup'.

psycho_mushy

HSC
hey guys.. ur forgetting one thing!

its is ASIA! piracy is all over the place

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yes which is why im worried

well some of my albums are downloaded, and some are copies of friend's albums

so like, couldnt i say 'i have all the originals at home'?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_

so like, couldnt i say 'i have all the originals at home'?
is there a way they can tell if it's downloaded or straight burnt though?

psycho_mushy

HSC
I'm going overseas (to Vietnam, stopover at Singapore), and I was wondering if it was legal to bring burnt copies of CDs, cos I don't wanna bring the originals in case they get scratched
oh.. by reading it again... they allow it... You can bring in a certain amount if I'm not wrong.. but then again.. the CD Case always does the trick..

or if ur really you know paranoid.. u can go to the Quarantine station below the lifts/escalators at the airport and then sign this form to declare something..

I had to do that with my laptop just in case they were gonna tax it or something

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
is there a way they can tell if it's downloaded or straight burnt though?
i think so

like for example, when i shove a coldplay CD in my comp, in media player the titles are shown. but when i shove in a burnt CD, it just says 'track 1' etc... and i think the professionals would be able to tell

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hey man
the last time i was overseas, i brought back like 40 (?) pirated cds - all still wrapped in plastic

getting out of the country is easy, but when you enter australia again, customs will bust you... not only did they burn all the cds, but they fined us bout $120 for it too...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeah but im not gonna buy any, i just wanna bring MY music CDs with me for personal use!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
but aren't burnt cds ok for personal use? i thought as long as you don't sell them and use them for yourself, it'd be fine..
otherwise why would burners be sold legally.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah but im not gonna buy any, i just wanna bring MY music CDs with me for personal use!
yeah thats alright then :)
shouldnt be a problem.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think so

like for example, when i shove a coldplay CD in my comp, in media player the titles are shown. but when i shove in a burnt CD, it just says 'track 1' etc... and i think the professionals would be able to tell
yeah i think they would know as well. my point being that if some of them are downloaded, you can't say to them that you have burnt them and have all the originals at home, because they will be able to tell

how do they know you have them in your bag?

jayz

walking
hopefully tis well be a simple solution, buy a large hard disk and then copy the cds on to it, or if u r planning to buy ALOT of cds/dvds/etc, send a sea freight or sumthing

and customs do crack down on pirated disks, but it's mostly the aussie cutoms who cares

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
i asked my mum to get for me...she got like 70 cd's last march....easy...just put all together in a paper bag....n put in the suit case....in between clothes...so no scratches!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)