• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bus. Operations (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ read the page in your textbook maybe, or the chapter!?!?

basiclly operations is just a function in the business involving stuff like scheduling and timetabling and allocation and ra ra ra

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Operations: manufacturing/services: business functions are there to support the main goals of the business. They are dependent on each other and it is important to understand why it is so.

-Operations: This function involves the organising the productions of goods and services in a business. Enabling the business to achieve their goals through efficient buying and using resources. With the manufacturing industry, operation is responsible for ordering and storing the required raw materials. Operations in a serviced business are also important because it still needs support to provide the service. Both industries must make decisions concerning the layout, number of people and types of equipment needed.

Different functions of the business are interdependent; is that they rely on one and another to achieve the objectives of the business. For a small business operator it is difficult to do everything, therefore they would hire accountants and networks.
This function includes the design, operation and control of the transformation process, converting raw materials, energy and labour into finished goods and services. For example coke: coke is the final product that the consumers buy to use. Operations, in this case deals with combing the sugar, water and coke essence, carbonated the mixture and place in each can. Each of this process adds value to the raw material.

INPUTS -> TRANSFORMATION -> OUTPUTS
Terms dealing with operations:
a) Productivity: this is the amount of output per person in a particular time frame.
b) Globalisation: businesses operating on a worldly basis; taking it global, addressing the globe as one market.
c) Capacity: Refers to how much of the product can be made in a particular amount of time.
d) Location: in terms with operations, location deals with the term of where the transformation process takes place. Also determines the availability of labour skills and costs; as well as the location of suppliers and consumers. Types of business venture would normally determine the location.
e) Process: determines how the product would be manufactured, relating to things such as types of machinery used and the sequence in producing the product.
f) Layout: arrangement of the production facilities. In serviced businesses, managers would have to decide about the location of workstations, equipments and other departments. A good layout would minimize material-handling costs and reduce hazards in the workplace. JIT (just in time)- this is a system where raw materials and component parts are to be restricted. This means that it has more space for workers to move around, in hope that it would create productivity and efficiency.

sorry abt the typos, i was in a hurry

santaslayer

HSC
Thanks girls, I needed that for a good friend, I burnt all my prelim and HSC notes right after the HSC, so yeah, thanks. :p
BTW, Business is boring... pass it on. :D

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
you are spamming.. pass it on!

well i cant help much, seeing that without wings is a business whiz :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)