• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Buses to and from UNSW (1 Viewer)

Katharine040787

HSC
I live on the Central Coast and I'll be coming from Gosford train station. What's the cheapest ticket I can buy to get to Uni? I'm guessing I'd buy a weekly to Central but what bus ticket do I buy, and where can I get it from beforehand to avoid cues and holding up other people waiting for the bus?

Raginsheep

HSC
Katharine040787 said:
I live on the Central Coast and I'll be coming from Gosford train station. What's the cheapest ticket I can buy to get to Uni? I'm guessing I'd buy a weekly to Central but what bus ticket do I buy, and where can I get it from beforehand to avoid cues and holding up other people waiting for the bus?
Buy brown travel tens or if there is one, a colour travel pass which covers your region (probably not)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's pretty lame that they don't offer travelpasses to people outside of the metro area. But yeah, as he said, brown travelten and a weekly. Have you considered moving closer to the uni? I live in Camden, and I reckon that's pretty much a borderline for way too much travel (hour train ride gives lots of time for doing uniwork on though).

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I live in Blacktown and will be getting to and from UNSW by Blacktown train station to Central and then a bus from Eddy Ave to UNSW. What do I buy for this travel? I will be attending everyday.
I've heard alot about these traveltens and have read some stuff but am confused about regions and zones and also the colours. Are they for trains, buses.
In my situation what should I buy and how much will it cost per week in these train and buses expenses???

Chris.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
It's pretty lame that they don't offer travelpasses to people outside of the metro area. But yeah, as he said, brown travelten and a weekly. Have you considered moving closer to the uni? I live in Camden, and I reckon that's pretty much a borderline for way too much travel (hour train ride gives lots of time for doing uniwork on though).
haha if i had an hr train ride, id just catch up on some sleep rather than do some work
unless ive got an assignment due later in the day though

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I live in Blacktown and will be getting to and from UNSW by Blacktown train station to Central and then a bus from Eddy Ave to UNSW. What do I buy for this travel? I will be attending everyday.
I've heard alot about these traveltens and have read some stuff but am confused about regions and zones and also the colours. Are they for trains, buses.
In my situation what should I buy and how much will it cost per week in these train and buses expenses???

Chris.
Slap those people who told you about traveltens in the face. The real money is in travelpasses. Go to the train station you go from on your first day, and just ask for a travelpass concession (flash your sticker). This will get you to and from Blacktown for seven days, unlimited travel on trains in your colour zone. For instance, I get a purple one (Campbelltown) so I can travel anywhere within the network as often as I want. You'd live in the green or yellow or something, so you can travel anywhere from those sections and inward. All Buses are covered, don't worry about the buses. If you buy a travelpass at blacktown, you'll be able to go anywhere on a bus.

Katharine040787

HSC
Yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if I lived closer but I've made the decision to stay put. We're actually moving to Terrigal in a week and I'm really excited. The place is lovely and I can't picture myself leaving home to live in whatever rundown place I'd manage to get close to the city! Besides, I've been working in Sydney full time for the past year anyway so I'm used to the commute. Considering I'm only doing 14 hours a week at Uni I reckon it'll be a nice adjustment ;)

Unfortunate that travelpasses don't cover people like me. I'm sure I'm not the only person looking at a 90 minute trip each way! Like Nebuchanezzar and azn_gangsta81 said, it's a good way to catch up on uni work or sleep!

HepAlien

HSC
What's the wait like for buses from Central between 10:30am - 11am? (Most of my days start at 11). Is it relatively 'fast' (say 10-15mins) and are queues virtually non-existent as opposed to those that have earlier classes?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Surprisngly, I always found that it's much more of a hassle to catch a bus outside of peak hour, than within. During peak hour, buses are there waiting for you, no hassles. At around 11, they only come every so often, and you're stuck wondering "should I get on that round-the-world one or wait for the express" I waited for the express once and I ended up waiting half an hour. Queues are longer also, and many don't get on a bus (express), as opposed to the mornings when I saw several buses leave with only half the passengers. You'd be better off next semester to make your classes start earlier in the day and finish earlier.

Katharine040787

HSC
If I'm catching any of the 391, 393 or 395 buses, where is the best place to get off? Are there many stops along Anzac Pde?

sunny

meh.
HSC
If going to uni, they take you to the front entrance of UNSW.

If going to Central, they take you right outside Central station.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Slap those people who told you about traveltens in the face. The real money is in travelpasses. Go to the train station you go from on your first day, and just ask for a travelpass concession (flash your sticker). This will get you to and from Blacktown for seven days, unlimited travel on trains in your colour zone. For instance, I get a purple one (Campbelltown) so I can travel anywhere within the network as often as I want. You'd live in the green or yellow or something, so you can travel anywhere from those sections and inward. All Buses are covered, don't worry about the buses. If you buy a travelpass at blacktown, you'll be able to go anywhere on a bus.
SO with the colour zones thing. On the train lines, like the map my train line is yellow. Just like how the epping/ryde style one is red. Is this what you mean by colour, so I owuld be yellow or am I something else.

Also is this travelpass(7 days) all i need to travel on train and bus. SO for example I rock up at the train station swipe my card, travel to central and then swipe my card when I enter the bus and its all covered the whole weeks train and bus expenses with this travelpass. If this is the case how much per week would it cost me to go.

Also just curious how much would it cost per day(concession) to travel to uni and back and using the uni buses, e.g. travelling to O-Week for one day or going in earlier to get my I-D card???

Chris.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Hold on a minute I just looked around on the net and I found this picture and Blacktown Station is in the purple section. The station next to Blacktown which is closer to the city is seven hills and guess what? Its pink. Dam one station away from getting it cheaper, dam people. They know Blacktown is a big station and they take my money.Oh well.

Ok so it will cost me $27.50. I'm assuming this is the same for you Nebuchanezzar as you said you were a purple person.

Thats good $27.50.
Two weeks ago I was coming up with numbers of $40-45, crazy. I'm impressed.

Thanks guys for the help.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes, $27.50 for me also, although this year I'll only have to work out ~$20 since I won't be at UNSW anymore. Either way, you don't need to ask for the colour when you go to the station, they'll just give you the one that corresponds to your station. The purple pass, if Blacktown is a purple pass, entitles you to travel on all ferries/trains/buses as often as you want, for seven days, all for $27.50.

The costs for getting to uni one day during o-week would be $4.40 (return from Blacktown), +$2.80 (bus fare) = $7.20

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Thanks for that Nebuchanezzar. Thats my travel worries sorted.

xxPanDa

HSC
i read somewhere on this forum tat there wont be any buses after 4pm at uni ??
u need to go catch one at high st to go back to central?

is this true?

purplemonkey

HSC
So there ARE buses from High St back to Central? How often are they? Most of my classes are in Upper Campus and I dont want to trek down to Anzac Pde all the time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)