Business Degree: Related to Management? (1 Viewer)

Lawl

HSC
I was wondering if its necessary nowadays to get a Business degree if you aspire to become a manager. Here's a hypothetical sitution (although it probably has happened in real life).

Person A is a genius when it comes to his/her job knows everything about it including how the place is run and etc. Person B has got a degree from a Uni that shows that he/she does know how 2 run a managerial position but only averages in knowlege about the field his working in.

- Who would you pick to be the next manager and why?
- Would you say a Business Degree is necessary to rise through the ranks in a company?

HalcyonSky

HSC
Person A would get chosen for sure, experience is much more highly regarded than a degree.

it isn't necessary to do a business degree (unless ur doing it at harvard) to become a manager, it all depends on ur personal skills and experience. The tech sector is probly the fastest growing area of startups, and something like 90% of technology based firms are run by engineers, not tools with a business degree. I think overall, 20% of the top CEO's have some sort of engineering background.

It doesnt really matter what degree you do, just be good at it and ull do exceptionally well, and as long as you show obvious managerial qualities ull have no trouble getting promoted through the ranks

HalcyonSky

HSC
Lawl said:
Person A is a genius when it comes to his/her job knows everything about it including how the place is run and etc
erm, this implies experience dude. He's comparing a guy that knows about his job and has been in it for a while (but doesnt have a business degree), vs a fresh graduate with a business degree and no experience. thats how i took it anyway

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Lawl said:
I was wondering if its necessary nowadays to get a Business degree if you aspire to become a manager. Here's a hypothetical sitution (although it probably has happened in real life).

Person A is a genius when it comes to his/her job knows everything about it including how the place is run and etc. Person B has got a degree from a Uni that shows that he/she does know how 2 run a managerial position but only averages in knowlege about the field his working in.

- Who would you pick to be the next manager and why?
- Would you say a Business Degree is necessary to rise through the ranks in a company?
Book skills alone are seen by many as largely irrelevant in management.

Of course, they help establish yourself as being educated, but its moreso knowledge of how the business itself runs and how competent you are in working through people. This only comes through experience. Therefore, the hypothetical you mentioned of one of the two rising into management as is, would be extremely rare. I know I wouldn't place either of these people in management if I was controlling a company, they would both be far too risky.

Edit: Not sure of exact percentage, and source. Will replace when I find them.

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Also, of the ASX200, approximately 90% of CEO's have CPA/CA qualifications, so the guys in the ivory towers running the 200 biggest company's in Aus are predominantly from accounting backgrounds (with a few having both acc/eng qualifications).
is that accurate? never heard that before :O

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
is that accurate? never heard that before :O
Actually, I cant find the stats, so il just edit it out for now. I know a large percentage have MBA quals, thats a given. Just have to find the stats that back me up here. *Starts looking through his BRW collection*

Conspirocy

HSC
Nah I think the way to look at it is, who would you groome for management. It has to be the guy with the degree, because knowledge of the company can be attained. It would be very rare for there not to be someone with the same skills as person A without a degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)