Business & Economics Subject Review Thread (1 Viewer)

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ECON241
Pretty sure the unit convener is always Fazeel Jaleel and it is a core for BAFIN.

The reason why most students get really low marks because they don't even know some of the basic statistic concept in this unit, this unit is really easy if you have some basic regression knowledge. It is just application of regression model in economics, but the fact that stat170 only cover very little regression. It is just read off the output from Gretl and copy down relevant information and draw conclusion.

I remember my tutor prevent me from using my first language to help other students with econ241 problem, in later tutorials I end up just finish the quiz in 10-15minutes and just leave the classroom zz.

I took this subject in 2014S1 because my friend did it in 2013S3 and said it was really easy with 0 effort.
It also took 0 effort for me, I just attend all tutorial for marks and I didn't go to lectures or even using echo360, because I was doing stat306 stat375 at the same time where stat375 wk1-4 basically cover econ241 wk1-13.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Difficulty: Moderate-Difficult
Lecturer: Fazeel Jaleel
Tutor: Adriadne
Year and Semester Taken: 2014 S2
Workload: Low-Moderate
Comments: Do not do this unit if the unit convener has initials F.M.J. Worst experience ever in a unit I've done so far. Barely any feedback given during the semester, and in the assignment (similar to finals) which everyone fails (7.5/20 average) because they are looking for very specific answers. Hardcopy of assignment collected day before final exam (We get assignment mark 4 days before finals to know that we are in deep shit so late). Lecture notes pretty much useless in answering long response questions and tutorials are something I don't look forward to. My tutor was a cheating police and basically her job was to investigate cheaters, stop interaction between students and write formula on the board rather than help understand content.
Assessment Breakdown: 10% weekly tutorial, 20% 4*5% quizzes , 20% Major Assignment, 50% final exam
ECON241 is not difficult. There is little to no workload involved once you understand the basics of regression.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG355
Difficulty: Easy
Lecturer: Yvette Blount
Tutor: Pingtzir Sam
Workload: Moderate

Comments: One of the best subjects run by Macquarie University. All the tutors are laid-back and easily approachable in the tutorial as well as during consultation times. The lectures are a bit dry in terms of content but Yvette tries to keep everyone engaged with funny videos and interesting real life experiences. The tutorials are the best. You are broken into small groups of 5 or 6 and then every week, you choose an interesting question from the previous week's lecture and you are asked to present your research with a 5 minute time limit. The best part is that all students must present in front of the class at least twice, which means quieter students cannot get away with just turning up to the tutorial, sitting in the back row and walking out of the tutorial.
I would highly recommend this unit to all Business faculty students as it is basically a GPA booster.

Assessments: 30% Tutorials 20% Report 50% Final Exam

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG106
Difficulty: Easy-moderate
Lecturer: Samantha Sin
Tutor: Hana

Comments: Fairly easy subject, would recommend to anyone who wants to boost their GPA but there is a need to put in consistent work. There is 10% tutorial homework submission, which is essentially a guaranteed 10 marks as long as you submit homework per week. However, homework does take around one hour to complete. Class Tests are fairly easy, especially the first one which is a 10% online multiple choice test. Another free 10 marks. The part of this course that makes it a little annoying is the group assignment, which is approximately a 40 page submission, as you could be unlucky and be in a group where no one contributes. Would definitely recommend this subject.

Assessments : 10% tutorial homework, 30% assignment, 10% oral presentation , 50% class tests

Confound

HSC
Pretty sure the unit convener is always Fazeel Jaleel and it is a core for BAFIN.

The reason why most students get really low marks because they don't even know some of the basic statistic concept in this unit, this unit is really easy if you have some basic regression knowledge. It is just application of regression model in economics, but the fact that stat170 only cover very little regression. It is just read off the output from Gretl and copy down relevant information and draw conclusion.

I remember my tutor prevent me from using my first language to help other students with econ241 problem, in later tutorials I end up just finish the quiz in 10-15minutes and just leave the classroom zz.

I took this subject in 2014S1 because my friend did it in 2013S3 and said it was really easy with 0 effort.
It also took 0 effort for me, I just attend all tutorial for marks and I didn't go to lectures or even using echo360, because I was doing stat306 stat375 at the same time where stat375 wk1-4 basically cover econ241 wk1-13.
Kenny is that you? My tutor for ACST101 :D :D!

Confound

HSC
1st year second semester 2014.

Unit Code: ACCG101
Difficulty: Easy
Lecturer: Amy Tung
Tutor: Sabrina Shen (Excellent tutor)
Workload:Moderate
Comments: Fairly straight forward unit. Just learn the accounting process and concepts and practice applying them. There's more theory than ACCG100 but it's simple, easy theory. The MYOB software learning was interesting and gives the unit a bit of spice. GPA booster.
Assessment Breakdown: 15% four "random" in-class tests where each test is worth 5% and your best three are chosen. 10% homework collection. 5% first MYOB assignment. 10% second MYOB assignment test. 5% reflective report. 55% final examination.

Unit Code: ACST101
Difficulty: Very easy
Lecturer: Gail Curry
Tutor: Kenny Mok (Excellent tutor). Would highly recommend. Edit: Highest ACST101 class average across his 4 classes.
Workload: Depends what grade you want. If you want HD guarranteed, the workload is moderate. If only aiming for Credit - Distinction then workload is low.
Comments: My recommended study pattern to guarantee a High Distinction is to always do the revision questions before you do the weekly online quiz. The revision questions will take you between 30mins-1.5hrs depending on your pace and the weekly online quizzes will take you around 30mins-1hr. So tbh you only need to study ACST for 2.5 hours minimum each week if you want a high distinction. GPA booster.
Assessment Breakdown: 20% weekly online quiz, 20% tests, 60% final examination.

Unit Code: ECON111
Lecturer: Jordi McKenzie
Tutor: Edwin Franks (Excellent tutor)
Workload:low
Comments: Straight forward microeconomics. GPA booster.
Assessment Breakdown: 10% in-class participation and tutorial attendance, 20% assignment, 10% online quizzes, 60% final examination.

Unit Code: MKTG101
Difficulty: Unnecessarily difficult
Lecturer: June Buchanan. She is the greatest unit convener. I would recommend you deal with her directly if you have questions regarding anything with mktg101 and don't bother with your tutors.
Tutor: Rather not say. I HIGHLY would not recommend this tutor. However, just for the sake of their reputation and image, I will not mention their name.
Workload: moderate
Assessment Breakdown: 10% participation, 20% individual essay, 30% group presentation.

Comments for MKTG101: Poor tutor, unnecessary tough marking, inconsistent marking, did not learn anything new in this unit, participation marks were marked ridiculously hard, poor explanation, poor feedback, did I mention inconsistent marking? GPA destroyer. Would highly recommend avoiding this unit unless it is a core. It is a GPA destroyer. If you are aiming for a distinction+, prepare to struggle, prepare to get rekt, always try to get your assessments remarked because marking is inconsistent. TRUST ME it's worth it. Have fun trying to maintain a 4.0 gpa if you're obliged to take this unit.

Last edited:

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure I said the class were highest amongst 4 of my classes, there are classes filled with a lot of actuarial studies students that drive the average to like 8/10 ;o

crazy_paki123

HSC
Unit Code: ECON203
Difficulty: Moderate
Lecturer: Pundarik
Tutor: (No idea lol, an asian)
Year and Semester Taken: 2015, S1
Comments: Decent unit, requires quite a bit of calculus. My tutor was pretty good and went through the main concepts quite clearly. Pundarik rushed through the lectures abit i feel. H/w is not assessable so hardly anyone does it but you should do it to keep on top of the content.
Assessment Breakdown: 2 x Online Quizzes (5% each), 1 Online Assignment pretty much a quiz (10%), Midsem (25%), attendance (2%), tute engagement (3%), Final (50%)

Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
Lecturer: Fazeel
Tutor: Ariadne
Workload: Light
Comments: Contiuation of STAT170 basically. Easy if you go over the lecture slides. He marks the major assignment hard af tho so dont expect to get too high in that.
Assessment Breakdown: Tutorial Quizzes (10%), H/W Quizzes (20%), Major Assignment (20%), Final Exam (50%)

Unit Code: ACCG301
Lecturer: Ranjith
Tutor: Shadab
Comments: Easy unit. Fair bit of work with the assessed hw. Oh and do NOT get Shadabs tute, he never gives a 3/3 for hw whereas other tutors do. Think he marks the group report fairly harshly too. SO do NOT get Shadab for a strong internal mark leading into the final exam.
Assessment Breakdown: Randomly Assessed H/W + In Class Q (15%), Group Report (20%), 2 x In-Class Tests (7.5% each), Final Exam (50%)

Unit Code: ACCG308
Difficulty: Difficult
Lecturer: Stephen
Tutor: No idea lol, again some asian
Workload: Moderate (You choose do the hw or not, its upto you, strongly recommend doing it though)
Comments:Tough bit is Consolidation (weeks 6-10) the other topics are easyish. Work hard for Consolidation and youll achieve a D atleast. The Virtual Tutuorials on ilearn were gold.
Assessment Breakdown: 4 x In-Class Tests (6% each), Group Report (14%), Online Quiz (7%), Final Exam (55%)

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Lecturer: Fazeel
Workload: Light
Comments: Easy to get a distinction hard to get a HD. The assignment was marked very strictly and there was a very low average however tutorial quizzes and homework quizzes are quite easy and the final exam is not difficult at all and similar to past exams.
Assessment Breakdown: Tutorial Quizzes (10%), H/W Quizzes (20%), Major Assignment (20%), Final Exam (50%)

Unit Code: ECON204
Lecturer: Jeffery Sheen
Tutor: Ariadne
Workload: Heavy
Comments: Lots of quizzes and weekly online assessments, with some complex questions. Can get annoying and easy to forget about them. Content was also bit more difficult to previous economic subjects and covered a lot through the semester
Assessment Breakdown: Online Quizzes (20%), Online assignments (10%), Group presentation (20%), Final Exam (60%)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG100
Lecturer: Medhat
Workload: Light-Moderate
Comments: Throughly recommend going to the lecture as going through the examples especially at the end was very helpful. Don't leave the Perdisco assignment to the very end, as it is time consuming and is a good opportunity to pick up relatively easy marks!
Assessment Breakdown: Tutorial Quizzes (15% made up of 3 *5%(6 quizzes in total)), Mid semester test (15%), Major Assignment (20%), Final Exam (50%)

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: AFIN253
Lecturer: Damian
Difficulty: easy
Workload: low
Comments: easy concepts, basic maths. pretty much same as acst101. 20% quiz very easy, midsem easy, assignmemt also easy. Final was a little difficult but overall not a difficult subject to get a distinction and would definitely recommend it.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: AFIN253
Lecturer: Damian
Difficulty: easy
Workload: low
Comments: easy concepts, basic maths. pretty much same as acst101. 20% quiz very easy, midsem easy, assignmemt also easy. Final was a little difficult but overall not a difficult subject to get a distinction and would definitely recommend it.
Quick question, when did you take acst101?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Semester 1 of this year
Awesome.

The course had changed so I wasn't sure if you had taken the older (and more difficult version) or the new version. Good to hear you didn't find AFIN253 difficult despite doing the new version of ACST101 :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: MKTG101
Lecturer: Elliot(Guy who wrote the textbook)
Year and Semester Taken: 2015 S2
Workload:
Credit=low
Distinction=low/moderate
High Distinction=Moderate
Comments:
Potentially a GPA booster but you need to be very careful with the group component part (worth 30%)
Ensure that your group hands in regular bits of work, and ensure that you edit it/quality control.
Do the practice multiple choice questions that available online as a significant proportion of the questions are recycled.
Very similar to business Studies marketing section.
Assessment Breakdown:
20% weekly online quiz, 30% Marketing(Group) plan, 10% hand in Discussion Questions, 40% final examination.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG101
Difficulty:Moderate
Lecturer: Can't remember
Year and Semester Taken: 2015 S2
Workload:
Moderate
Comments:
Unlike ACCG100, you are expected to put aside time for reading the chapters, which contain content that is examinable/testable.
I recommend attending PAL, and making notes on the weekly reading chapter.
MYOB Saturday lectures were recorded, we did however had a mid term on Saturday (MYOB in class task)

Assessment Breakdown:
Class Test 15% ( 2 x 7.5% weighted tests)
Class presentation 5%
Assignments 30% (10% reflective report, in class 15% MYOB practical task, and 5% hand in myob task)
Final Examination 50% (Must pass final to pass course)

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ECON111
Difficulty:Easy/Moderate?
Lecturer: Prashan/Jordi
Either of the two are good for Microeconomics lecturers, but I'd say Prashan may be better if you struggle paying attention to lectures.
Year and Semester Taken: 2015
Workload: Moderate? (Not sure?)
Assessment task:
Weekly Online Quizzes 10%
Weekly Tutorial Assessment 10% (Hand in homework/Attend class(5%) and participation (5%)
Assignment - THREE submissions 30% (Get the exact same questions of assignment for in class task, 2 are marked from hand in, and 2 are done inclass)
Final Examination 50%

Comments:
GPA booster (With a bit of effort a significant proportion of the people I've spoken to have got a Distinction or higher)
Assignment can be a bit tricky, so better not leave it to the last minute.
Don't need the textbook at all to do well (Not worth purchasing)
The unit really wants you to exceed, and does everything in their power to ensure that people succeed.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: HRM107
Difficulty: Easy(Unsure?) Content was easy to understand
Lecturer: Troy (Probably the best lecturer that I've experienced at university so far)
Year and Semester Taken: 2015
Workload:Light/Moderate
Assessment breakdown:
30% group report, 10% participation, 10% debate, 10% individual debate report, 40% exam
Comments:
A fairly interesting unit, but quite challenging as well as they mark "tough" (Well a lot harder then a lot of other first year units)
It is a people unit, but I'd avoid this unit if you are aiming for an GPA/WAM booster.
Look for examples, peer reviewed articles that can be used for evidence/quotes earlier on in the semester.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: Accg101 (Accounting 1B)
Lecturer: Milica (joint UC with Peipei, who took the evening lecture)
Tutor: Milica
Year and Semester Taken: Semester 2, 2015

Workload: Moderate. You learn a lot of content during the semester plus with assessments and extra readings, it can be time consuming. It expands on accg100, but with more theory and difficult concepts. Can be difficult to catch up if you are lazy early on as many of the topics flow into the next. 1 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial each week.

Comments: Revise weekly, everything links to the next topic and the final exam is generally the most difficult questions of each topic. Go to PAL. Milica is a great tutor, very knowledgeable and very willing to help. Lecturers can feel a bit rushed because they are only 1 hour. Uses the same textbook as accg100. Also follows on from some of the later topics in accg100, so it may be worth keeping your notes if you'd not overly confident with them.

Assessment Breakdown:
  • 2 Class Tests (7.5% each) in tutorial. Based on previous topics. Reasonably easy if you've done lectures and homework.
  • Group Presentation (5%) in tutorial based on previous weeks lecture and a homework question. Your marked as a group, so it can be a bit harder to do well than in your own. Only one week to prepare (ie. You know your in week 8, but you don't get the presentation topic and question until the week before), but overall a very simple assesment.
  • MYOB assignments: First one is 5% done at home, second is 15% done in a supervised Saturday class which is basically a repeat of the assignment. You need to attend Saturday lectures especially to learn how to use MYOB (I think they are recorded?). Time consuming but simple. Easier than the accg100 assignment by far. You aren't penalised for continually errors, but it can be difficult to navigate MYOB if you are unfamiliar. Most info is given, its more about inputting correctly.
  • Reflective Learning Report (10%), given a marking rubric and have to follow that. Easy to do well.
  • Final Exam (50% and must pass exam). Ours was wayyy more theory based than expected, but there was no nasty surprises or very difficult questions if you studied.

Unit Code: ACCG250 (Accounting Systems Design and Development)
Lecturer: Mauricio
Tutor: Fred
Year and Semester Taken: Semester 2, 2015

Workload: Moderate. I'd say it varies person to person depending on how they cope with the assessments and their understanding of the unit. 2 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial per week.

Comments: This is a compulsory unit for accounting, but there is very little about it that is actually accounting. It's an information systems unit primarily. Mauricio is a great lecturer/coordinator, but people I've spoken with found this unit more difficult if accounting (like accg100,101,200) is their strong point and not essay writing and critical thinking. Overall, I really enjoyed this unit. My friends who love accounting, hated it. It is an easy unit to get a decent mark in, but to get a great mark, you need to put in the effort to understand exactly what they want. I was always getting told i "wasn't specific enough" and constantly got 8 and 9 out of 10 for assessed coursework... I thought it was being very specific! I'd highly recommend PAL for this unit. The style of questions they show you are great for preparing you.

Assessment Breakdown:
  • Assessed Coursework - 30%. Each week in the tutorial you get questions or activities to complete. 5 are marked, best 4 count. Doesn't require a lot of effort to prepare, if you go to the lecture you'll recognise most of the stuff. Many were open book. Going to PAL before your tutorial also helps immensely.
  • Group Report - 20%. We had to decide on groups in the second tutorial. 3000 words all up, can take a lot of time to get done depending on your group. Pick a good group, because this will take a lot of time and effort and it can be difficult to do very well. Your given a serious of questions, a scholarly article and have to do further research to prepare the report.
  • Group Presentation- 10%. Same groups as the report (hence it's important to be happy with your group). You need to make a video on a given question and topic (relates back to the content of the semester and your group report). Again, can be time consuming. Content of the video is marked equally to presentation, visual effects and audience engagement, so can be difficult to do well with a weak group.
  • Final Exam - 40%. Must pass the exam to pass the unit. Reasonably straight forward. We were told what to expect and that was in the exam. The questions are similar to the ones you do in the tutorials and PAL, but much much harder. We had one question that was 20 marks (so 1/5th of the exam), which basically required you to know the answer from a single bullet point on a single slide of a 60 slide lecture. Another topic your given examples of risks and you need to suggest controls; During the semester these were generally really obvious risks, but the final exam asked for 5 specific ones from the text and they were less obvious things.

Last edited:

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: Econ335
Difficulty: easy-moderate
Lecturer: Sean Turnell (nicest guy to walk this planet)
Year and Semester Taken: 2015 semester 2
Workload:Light
Assessment breakdown:
20% review essay, 20% class test, 10% debate, 60% final exam
Comments:
no tutorials i.e no homework. 3 hour lectures. great lecturer with easy mid sem. assignment and final moderate difficulty. content is easy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)