business /law at UTS? (1 Viewer)

kaboomable

i'm realli interested in the commerce/law course at unsw.. but its very hard to get in... so the next best thing (purely considering uai) is biz/law at uts... are they any different? does uts have a good name for law?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yeah, UTS has a pretty good name. But if I were you I'd consider ANU too.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
UTS law seems pretty good due to its emphasis on practical experience and industry connections. I also have a few questions about UTS Biz/Law

1. Can you do a co-major (double major) for the business component?

2. Why has UAI cutoff shot from 97.00 to 98.35 in one year? Did the uni run an ultra effective marketing campaign or has hordes of people just decided that UTS is the uni for them?

3. How much of college of law does the UTS program allow you to bypass?

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
asqy no like uts law
really? i'm still not sure if i want to put UTS down as a preference... if i did it'd be for this course i guess. can't really see myself at UTS for some reason

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
it's even harder to imagine myself at ANU! so far i've really only looked at USYD and UNSW. i haven't checked out UTS but whenever i think of UTS it's just this big brown building with UTS written on it. vibes and trees are good.. and so are carpets

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I don't like trees
or law libraries
or college of law
or the 895...

still.... *checks uac preferences*
1. USYD
2. UNSW
3. UTS
4. MACQ

:D

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i don't want to move out of sydney... and the 40 minutes i spent in canberra felt like 11 hours.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i know, but it's just this idea i have. bah.
it all depends on how i go in the HSC. i know, i should do what i want, blah blah blah blah blah. meh, whatever.
the 9 preferences i have so far are all USYD and UNSW and they range from high 90s to the 80s, which means i'm hopefully guaranteed to get into something on that list. if i consider UTS, then it brings another thingy into the equation, although i'm starting to change my mind a little.
having the USYD and UTS open days on the same time doesn't help pull me in the UTS direction too.
so much trouble urgh.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
you put ANU didn't you? so you were willing to move? from the northern edge of north shore hey :rolleyes: :p

fillstar

HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
UTS law seems pretty good due to its emphasis on practical experience and industry connections. I also have a few questions about UTS Biz/Law

1. Can you do a co-major (double major) for the business component?

2. Why has UAI cutoff shot from 97.00 to 98.35 in one year? Did the uni run an ultra effective marketing campaign or has hordes of people just decided that UTS is the uni for them?

3. How much of college of law does the UTS program allow you to bypass?
1) For the business component you only do ONE business major

2) Maybe because the other (UNSW, USYD) Comm/Law solutions are too hard to get in and UTS was considered a relative bargain?
The law lecturers are quite good at UTS

3) Bypass? What do you mean by that and why would you want to?

If end up doing b.bus/law at UTS i doubt you would be in the tower building anyway. you would be located at the haymarket campus next to market city. You cant really expect sweeping lawns in such a densely populated business district!

I do agree however they should concrete render that pebblecrete tower...!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
so the law lecturers are quite good at UTS.. hmm, how does it compare with law at sydney and unsw, and what are the job prospects like when you graduate?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I really don't see how you can end up unemployed with a biz/law degree, unless you have certain characteristics which repels employers ;)

Besides, it's only the first job that the uni which you go to MAY play a part in determining, after that, it's experience and professionalism that will build your career since qualification is no longer a discriminating factor.

I've talked to 'high ranking' managers and recruitment officers in some of the most prestigious firms in the country and they told me that the uni you go to plays a very little part when they decide who to recruit. But they do look at your uni marks and evaluate your potential to contribute to the firm so you gotta impress them in the interview.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i meant like, the things you learn. i know a lot of what you need in the real world you learn through experience, but would you, i dunno, get a better education at sydney and unsw?
(sorry, this must sound really stupid)

i'm only really looking at law to compliment the business/commerce side of it. so would i be better off doing a commerce degree at other uni's combined with arts or science?

Last edited:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
The law courses are supposed to be exactly the same at all the unis...

if you want a career path based on commerce, then you'll prolly be better off at UNSW as it has the strongest commerce department. If you miss out on law at unsw, then you should decide whether you really need the law degree

Doing a double major in commerce (which cannot be done if you do law) may provide just as many career oppotunties and only takes 3 years ;)

Another option is to do commerce at UNSW and pick up law after first year, still will only take 5 years to get the double degree. Or do law as a fee paying student and transfer to hecs...
I have no idea of the difficulty of the above procedures

Dunno much about combining commerce with arts or science. I actually like science, but just unsure about the demand for science graduates atm so I'm going the safe path ie commerce :D

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Eco and commerce are degrees so you should look at what courses are offered within them to decide which degree u want, dunno which is better but I think BCommerce sounds more sexy :D

As for accounting and finance, they are things you can major in in commerce or eco degrees, accounting gives you vast amounts of career oppotunities (many jobs in the professional services require some accounting knowledge). Dunno much about finance, but I'm sure it's also good

schwang_thang

Originally posted by Azn fairies
Which coures is better ( in finding job and money wise) eco. commence, accounting or finance??.
hmmm well like Suvat sed, u can major in eco, fin or acctg if u do a bus. or com. degree but in terms of job prospects hmmm...

well from wat ive gathered, acctg is the best major if u want 2 get a job in business. sure its boring, but doesnt necessarily mean u'll b an accountant - the main thing is the skills u get, esp. cos acctg is apparently the language of business n all.

w. finance u'll also find it quite easy 2 get a job...consultant, analyst, etc etc. n it also sounds alot better than acctg...

ive spoken 2 a few 2nd n 3rd yr students abt eco., cos i initially wanted 2 do eco + fin double major, but every1 says that the job prospects r too few relative 2 the other majors

however if ur talking abt the actual course n not majors, it kinda depends whether ur more mathsy (then go 4 eco/acctg/fin) or theory (then go 4 commerce/business, cos then u can major in stuff like marketing or management or international business). don't take my word 4 it, but i doubt u could take those majors if u did a course like b economics + finance or b economics.

hmmm n if ur really mathsy n wanna make heaps of money as an analyst or sumthing, try actuarial studies at macq. uni...altho u'll need sumthing like 98.5, n ive heard the drop out rate is pretty high

schwang_thang

Originally posted by Azn fairies
Which coures is better ( in finding job and money wise) eco. commence, accounting or finance??.
hmmm well like Suvat sed, u can major in eco, fin or acctg if u do a bus. or com. degree but in terms of job prospects hmmm...

well from wat ive gathered, acctg is the best major if u want 2 get a job in business. sure its boring, but doesnt necessarily mean u'll b an accountant - the main thing is the skills u get, esp. cos acctg is apparently the language of business n all.

w. finance u'll also find it quite easy 2 get a job...consultant, analyst, etc etc. n it also sounds alot better than acctg...

ive spoken 2 a few 2nd n 3rd yr students abt eco., cos i initially wanted 2 do eco + fin double major, but every1 says that the job prospects r too few relative 2 the other majors

however if ur talking abt the actual course n not majors, it kinda depends whether ur more mathsy (then go 4 eco/acctg/fin) or theory (then go 4 commerce/business, cos then u can major in stuff like marketing or management or international business). don't take my word 4 it, but i doubt u could take those majors if u did a course like b economics + finance or b economics.

hmmm n if ur really mathsy n wanna make heaps of money as an analyst or sumthing, try actuarial studies at macq. uni...altho u'll need sumthing like 98.5, n ive heard the drop out rate is pretty high

Roors

HSC
ok like u are all talking about how "nice" the uni's are and the "trees" and "buildings" and crap heheh but like...i'd loveee to do law at uts! i dont think i could get in though! is there like any other way of getting in?
im aiming for like mid 90's (low mid 90's) and thats soooo not gonna get me into law. My only other option is either macquarie (if im luky, but its bad traelling there) and uws....is it harddd to transfer? help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)