Business/ Science (1 Viewer)

NizDiz

HSC
Is the B Business/ Science at UTS different to B Commerce/ Science at UNSW? Can you still do two majors (1 each in Business and Science or 2 in Business)?

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
you only get one major in the business and science departments and its a 4 year course.

since the two are completely different courses, id only advise doing this degree if you are extremely indecisive or if you wish to do statistics and hence major in statistics in the science segment and you are business orientated.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
would definitely recommend uts to study finance. (i am a current student)

i went to the unsw open day in 2012, the finance headmaster couldnt even pronounce finance properly.

the uts finance department is top class

NizDiz

HSC
fuken oath thanks dude :) wat about commerce/ business in general, incase i change my mind?

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
fuken oath thanks dude :) wat about commerce/ business in general, incase i change my mind?
for commerce/business in general, uts has a reputation of being more hands on, ie compared to unsw the course is more class discussion orientated and more situation problem solving than analysing a given set of data. i'd definitely advise uts over usyd. our top lecturers for each subject (finance, economics, accounting, statistics) in particular are top quality.

ashizzlyp

HSC
Hey NizDiz,
the best person to talk to would be people at each university.
either way, do what you think is best and choose to study where you feel the most at home.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
for commerce/business in general, uts has a reputation of being more hands on, ie compared to unsw the course is more class discussion orientated and more situation problem solving than analysing a given set of data. i'd definitely advise uts over usyd. our top lecturers for each subject (finance, economics, accounting, statistics) in particular are top quality.
UTS lecturers and tutors have been in the field for a long time and have extensive knowledge .

NizDiz

HSC
cool guys thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated

honsaw

HSC
N/A
If i were to do finance as a sub major, will i struggle with it seeing i didn't do maths in yr 11 & 12? also do you need to write essays in finance exams or is it just short answers?
many thanks

blackromanc3

HSC
If i were to do finance as a sub major, will i struggle with it seeing i didn't do maths in yr 11 & 12? also do you need to write essays in finance exams or is it just short answers?
many thanks
I didn't do a finance major but I did pick up some finance subjects on the way when I did undergrad economics. Finance can get mathematically intensive and the same goes for economics. I don't want to put you down here but I would honestly think you would struggle. At the minimum you should have some understandings of calculus if you want to do finance or economics. I'm not sure if the sub major offers introductory mathematical techniques but I know for certain that in the economics major (but not sub major) they do. My advice is also don't do a sub major.

In the finance exams, at least in the introductory subject, it was almost purely mathematical. Other subjects usually had 50/50 split between theory and math based problems. In terms of writing, I did encounter both essays and short answers but mostly the latter. Having said that, "short answer" responses were like half a page in length for the theory based questions but it basically amounted to an essay if you add all of questions together.

wsd

HSC
hey guys, I have been considered taking a science/business degree next year at uts. Just wondering why this degree is put in the science segment instead of business on the uts website? Also for the honour degree "An honours program in each science discipline is available to eligible students.". Does it mean I can't choose to study a business honour?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
hey guys, I have been considered taking a science/business degree next year at uts. Just wondering why this degree is put in the science segment instead of business on the uts website? Also for the honour degree "An honours program in each science discipline is available to eligible students.". Does it mean I can't choose to study a business honour?
Because the bulk of the degree is science so the course is offered by the science faculty. Not 100% sure about Business/Science but I study Engineering/Business and got an email once suggesting that I would be eligible for business honours. Business (and commerce at other unis) you need an honours year though, that's a pretty big investment of time for what is essentially a secondary degree.

wsd

HSC
Because the bulk of the degree is science so the course is offered by the science faculty. Not 100% sure about Business/Science but I study Engineering/Business and got an email once suggesting that I would be eligible for business honours. Business (and commerce at other unis) you need an honours year though, that's a pretty big investment of time for what is essentially a secondary degree.
Thanks for replying brent. I am asking this because although i am good at maths, my career goal is in the international commerce/accounting/finance areas so I reckon a master in business would be better. My options are limited as I am a TPC student who haven't met the minimum age requirement for mature age entry in usyd and unsw. B science/B business is the only course in uts that combined my two favourite subjects:mad2:

friend177

HSC
thats cause you HD everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)