Business Studies Case Study Information (1 Viewer)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
It is essential for students to use case studies within the Business Studies course.

Why do you need case study information?

Case studies are used in responses to provide a practical example of the theory - basically they show that you know how the information can be applied to a business in real life.

What do you need to know about your case study?

If you look at the
Business Studies Syllabus it outlines at the start of each topic what you need to know about a case study.
Here are the relevant case study sections for the HSC course:

Students learn to:

Examine contemporary business issues to:
• discuss the balance between cost and quality in operations strategy
• examine the impact of globalisation on operations strategy
• identify the breadth of government policies that affect operations management
• explain why corporate social responsibility is a key concern in operations management
• explain why goods and/or services are central to both marketing and operations
• examine why ethical behaviour and government regulation are important in marketing
• assess why a mix of promotional strategies is important in the marketing of goods and services
• explain potential conflicts between short-term and long-term financial objectives
• analyse the influence of government and the global market on financial management
• identify the limitations of financial reporting
• compare the risks involved in domestic and global financial transactions
• discuss the influence of government on the process of determining employment contracts
• explain how businesses exhibit corporate social responsibility in the management of human resources
• analyse the causes of two workplace disputes and the strategies used to resolve them
• examine the advantages of a diverse, culturally competent workforce for a global business

Investigate aspects of business using hypothetical situations and actual business case studies to:
• describe the features of operations management for businesses in a tertiary industry
• assess the relationship between operations and the other key business functions in two
actual businesses
• explain how operations strategy can help a business sustain its competitive advantage
• recommend possible operations strategies for one hypothetical business
• evaluate the marketing strategies for a good or service
• analyse a marketing plan for a business
• explain how globalisation has affected marketing management
• calculate key financial ratios
• assess business performance using comparative ratio analysis
• recommend strategies to improve financial performance
• examine ethical financial reporting practices
• explain the interdependence between human resources and other key business functions
• compare the process of negotiating enterprise/collective agreements with the negotiation of individual contracts
• discuss the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing in the global market
• evaluate the effectiveness of human resource management for one business and recommend appropriate alternative strategies

Where do I use case study information?

You use case studies in short answer questions where they ask you to support your argument with contemporary examples and section IV of the HSC exam paper. (refer to the rubric to see this).

Example:

2012 HSC Question 21:
How might a business benefit when an operations manager acts in an ethically and socially responsible manner? Support your answer with relevant examples. (4 marks)

2012 HSC Question 26:
Why are ethical behaviour and government regulation important in marketing? (20 marks)

Where can I see examples of case studies implemented into section IV answers?

If you check out section IV in the standards packages you can see how other students have answered questions and integrated case study knowledge.

How many case studies do I need?

The number of case studies you have is dependent on how well you cover the points with your case studies. Not all case studies cover all areas of the syllabus, so some people may use more than one to effectively cover all areas. If your case study doesn't cover all the syllabus points required you should find another that covers those areas. Past HSC Marking Guidelines stated that:

While it may be possible to adequately address all parts of the question with a single case study, candidates are generally advantaged by having knowledge of more than one case study. A single case study is less likely to provide the range of relevant examples of business behaviour necessary for answering the question comprehensively.
Should I make up a case study/use a hypothetical case study?

The Board of Studies states that:

There is a requirement in each topic to examine contemporary business issues and use business case studies (hypothetical and/or actual).
Source: A guide to the revised Stage 6 Business Studies Syllabus

Although with the introduction of the new syllabus you can create hypothetical businesses I personally recommend you learn actual case studies. There's lots of information about that you can learn the information to effectively implement into your answers. Additionally it saves you time as you do not have to make up case studies on the spot.

What are some case studies I could do?

This is up to you, the information you have available to you and what you feel fits in best with each area of the topics. Some common case studies include:
  • Qantas
  • Coca Cola Amatil
  • Apple Inc.
  • Harvey Norman
  • McDonalds
  • Billabong
  • Westfield
  • Walmart
  • Adidas

Useful Case Study Links

Remember: these links are just a starting point, they are no way all the information available about the case study you are studying and all that you will need.
AFR Biz has a range of case studies such as Australia Post, BHP Billiton, Coca Cola, McDonald's etc.

Marketing Mag has a range of case studies for marketing

Qantas
Qantas Website

Emirates Partnership: Qantas/Emirates global partnership

Qantas - ABC 7:30: Interview with Alan Joyce about Qantas’ losses

Qantas 2012 Advertisement: You’re the reason we fly

Qantas industrial action
: Information about the 2011 groundings of flights

Qantas Case Study: Recent Qantas news

Apple Inc.
Apple Inc. Website

Apple's CSR

Coca Cola Amatil
Coca Cola Amatil Website

Diversity at CCA

The following is outdated though in parts still somewhat relevant to the new syllabus in certain aspects:

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Financial Planning and Management

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Marketing

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Employment Relations

Virgin Australia
Virgin Australia - About Us

Virgin Australia – Rebranding

L'Oreal
L'Oreal homepage

The L'Oreal Foundation

L'Oreal Research and Innovation

L'Oreal Commitments

Textbooks for case studies

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobeen

HSC
Thanks, i am struggle for the tmr business final exam

TiarneShinae

HSC
It is essential for students to use case studies within the Business Studies course.

Why do you need case study information?

Case studies are used in responses to provide a practical example of the theory - basically they show that you know how the information can be applied to a business in real life.

What do you need to know about your case study?

If you look at the
Business Studies Syllabus it outlines at the start of each topic what you need to know about a case study.
Here are the relevant case study sections for the HSC course:

Students learn to:

Examine contemporary business issues to:
• discuss the balance between cost and quality in operations strategy
• examine the impact of globalisation on operations strategy
• identify the breadth of government policies that affect operations management
• explain why corporate social responsibility is a key concern in operations management
• explain why goods and/or services are central to both marketing and operations
• examine why ethical behaviour and government regulation are important in marketing
• assess why a mix of promotional strategies is important in the marketing of goods and services
• explain potential conflicts between short-term and long-term financial objectives
• analyse the influence of government and the global market on financial management
• identify the limitations of financial reporting
• compare the risks involved in domestic and global financial transactions
• discuss the influence of government on the process of determining employment contracts
• explain how businesses exhibit corporate social responsibility in the management of human resources
• analyse the causes of two workplace disputes and the strategies used to resolve them
• examine the advantages of a diverse, culturally competent workforce for a global business

Investigate aspects of business using hypothetical situations and actual business case studies to:
• describe the features of operations management for businesses in a tertiary industry
• assess the relationship between operations and the other key business functions in two
actual businesses
• explain how operations strategy can help a business sustain its competitive advantage
• recommend possible operations strategies for one hypothetical business
• evaluate the marketing strategies for a good or service
• analyse a marketing plan for a business
• explain how globalisation has affected marketing management
• calculate key financial ratios
• assess business performance using comparative ratio analysis
• recommend strategies to improve financial performance
• examine ethical financial reporting practices
• explain the interdependence between human resources and other key business functions
• compare the process of negotiating enterprise/collective agreements with the negotiation of individual contracts
• discuss the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing in the global market
• evaluate the effectiveness of human resource management for one business and recommend appropriate alternative strategies

Where do I use case study information?

You use case studies in short answer questions where they ask you to support your argument with contemporary examples and section IV of the HSC exam paper. (refer to the rubric to see this).

Example:

2012 HSC Question 21:
How might a business benefit when an operations manager acts in an ethically and socially responsible manner? Support your answer with relevant examples. (4 marks)

2012 HSC Question 26:
Why are ethical behaviour and government regulation important in marketing? (20 marks)

Where can I see examples of case studies implemented into section IV answers?

If you check out section IV in the standards packages you can see how other students have answered questions and integrated case study knowledge.

How many case studies do I need?

The number of case studies you have is dependent on how well you cover the points with your case studies. Not all case studies cover all areas of the syllabus, so some people may use more than one to effectively cover all areas. If your case study doesn't cover all the syllabus points required you should find another that covers those areas. Past HSC Marking Guidelines stated that:

Should I make up a case study/use a hypothetical case study?

The Board of Studies states that:

Source: A guide to the revised Stage 6 Business Studies Syllabus

Although with the introduction of the new syllabus you can create hypothetical businesses I personally recommend you learn actual case studies. There's lots of information about that you can learn the information to effectively implement into your answers. Additionally it saves you time as you do not have to make up case studies on the spot.

What are some case studies I could do?

This is up to you, the information you have available to you and what you feel fits in best with each area of the topics. Some common case studies include:
  • Qantas
  • Coca Cola Amatil
  • Apple Inc.
  • Harvey Norman
  • McDonalds
  • Billabong
  • Westfield
  • Walmart
  • Adidas

Useful Case Study Links

Remember: these links are just a starting point, they are no way all the information available about the case study you are studying and all that you will need.
AFR Biz has a range of case studies such as Australia Post, BHP Billiton, Coca Cola, McDonald's etc.

Marketing Mag has a range of case studies for marketing

Qantas
Qantas Website

Emirates Partnership: Qantas/Emirates global partnership

Qantas - ABC 7:30: Interview with Alan Joyce about Qantas’ losses

Qantas 2012 Advertisement: You’re the reason we fly

Qantas industrial action
: Information about the 2011 groundings of flights

Qantas Case Study: Recent Qantas news

Apple Inc.
Apple Inc. Website

Apple's CSR

Coca Cola Amatil
Coca Cola Amatil Website

Diversity at CCA

The following is outdated though in parts still somewhat relevant to the new syllabus in certain aspects:

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Financial Planning and Management

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Marketing

Leading Edge - Coca Cola Amatil Case Study: Employment Relations

Virgin Australia
Virgin Australia - About Us

Virgin Australia – Rebranding

L'Oreal
L'Oreal homepage

The L'Oreal Foundation

L'Oreal Research and Innovation

L'Oreal Commitments

Textbooks for case studies

Do you have a Business Case I can see? I Have one due on Monday and I don't understand the concept of it

trungduong12

HSC
Hi eveyone
I have one question
The book "case study on qantas" 2014

Does anyone have a copy of it online?

I have the 2012 one only
Information is out of date
Do u think i should buy that case study book???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi eveyone
I have one question
The book "case study on qantas" 2014

Does anyone have a copy of it online?

I have the 2012 one only
Information is out of date
Do u think i should buy that case study book???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a 2012 is well enough up to date. You can always access Qantas's financial reports online to update statistics.

Don't think its worth purchasing, and pretty sure it doesn't come in an ecopy.

andrea1612

HSC
Hey guys, I have a Business Studies quiz i created online from last year's exam paper - do you think I should post it or will they let me?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I have a Business Studies quiz i created online from last year's exam paper - do you think I should post it or will they let me?

They'll let you. Just post it as a new thread

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
The amount of time invested in researching for case studies is crazy T___T I'm crying on the inside

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)