Business studies guide → insight, how to succeed, syllabus, tips, help, advice (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
THIS IS A GUIDE I HAVE COLLABORATED FROM A VARIETY OF RESOURCES, NOTES, BOOKS, & TEACHER/TUTOR ADVICE SO PLEASE DON'T HATE ON ME NOT HAVING PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AS OF YET, UNDERTAKING BUSINESS STUDIES IN THE HSC.

INSIGHT

Business studies comprises of different aspects of learning, from memorizing and understanding. It involves incorporating occurrences in the business world to the content being taught in class as per the syllabus. Students need to immerse themselves into the world of business, grapple with companies and the way they operate and aim to become fluent in business terminology. The subject has quite a lot of content to cover and thus students need to have breadth and depth of knowledge. Furthermore, students must write differently in their responses as content, logical structure and business acumen are more important than elaborate/colorful answers. This can be a positive for students who have weaker English skills.

HOW TO SUCCEED

The first and foremost important aspect of this subject is to have a positive attitude towards learning and understanding. During the course of this subject you will ask yourself several questions, such as, why do we have to learn this? How will this assist me in my life following the HSC? Who wrote this syllabus?
Just Keep in mind that the material and knowledge passed on to you through your teachers is what you will be assessed on in your HSC. Furthermore, students that undertake business studies in the HSC will be thankful as it is one of the most diverse areas of study that open up hundreds of university courses for selection. Also, many students that pursue a career in the business world reflect and utilize many of the learning they encountered in the subject.
The secret to business studies is to learn your syllabus thoroughly. Memorize key points and then the sub headings that follow. Your teachers will assist you by advising you on which areas are key learning areas.

USING THE BUSINESS STUDIES SYLLABUS

- learn and familiarize yourself with the main headings. Read the dot points regularly to familiarize yourself with the terminology and key concepts.

- try to write your own notes and not just refer or rely on the syllabus dot points.

- use acronyms or jingles to come up with the idea of memorizing key areas. Never try and memorize the theory as you will most probably forget it, but my advice is to learn the syllabus and UNDERSTAND the theory.

- aim to write your notes during the topic. You will find that writing your notes on a regular basis keeps you on track and guarantees understanding. The best way to do this is by utilizing your business studies text book, your teacher's notes and available study guides. By creating YOUR OWN notes they will now become your study notes and your best friend in business studies.

- remember it's not about how many pages you have minimized your notes to. You should be able to understand your notes and even if they are brief you should be able to elaborate on them.

- revisit thee notes on a regular basis. The completion of Topic 1 is not a cue for you to bury your notes only bring them back from the dead when it's assessment time. You must continuously read over your notes no matter how old.

TIPS

- always be proactive and be prepared for all assessment tasks, start researching and preparing as soon as you get them without delay. When unsure of what the task is, approach your teacher and ask for some assistance.

- after starting your assessment and having set up an outline/plan approach your teacher and ask if you're on the right track.

- with report writing the emphasis is not on memorizing a case study or many cases. Theory is the main aspect of your report. My advice is to concentrate on the theory in your final report/extended response question in your Trials and HSC exams as markers are looking for understanding theory. This is where the majority of your marks are given. Don't try and memorize so many case studies believing that it will help you obtain greater marks as this is not true.

- it's vital you read through different case studies so that you have a general overview and understanding of how different businesses might operate differently, allowing you to apply theory appropriately to the question.

- remember the key is to learn the headings and sub headings to understand the content and incorporate the case studies where necessary.

- after each topic attempt to answer questions from past papers relating to the topic. Don't just read through the questions actually put pen to paper and answer the questions.

- When writing reports you need to be constructive. Writing your response in the format of a formal essay is acceptable, however most teachers prefer you write in report style. Report writing is not difficult and is very easy to grasp, and it gets your information across easier with the use of sub headings. This is more likely to earn you higher marks. In the real business world information passed on to management needs to be relevant, to the point and clearly presented, and easy to interpret. Setting your response in the traditional essay format means that the vital information is somewhere within the writing and not necessarily in the right area.

- when interpreting questions it is important that you learn how to differentiate between questions that are asked e.g. discuss, analyse, define, etc.

- building a glossary of words will help you build your business studies terminology for each topic. These words are vital, because you will be expected to use them when answering questions.

BE SURE TO GET THE RIGHT HELP

You may choose to use a study guide. There are several study guides to choose from. Don't go out and buy every single study guide available in the book store. Some study guides tend to confuse students rather than guide them. If i was to recommend a study guide it would be Macquarie Business Studies, because it concisely summarizes all the information you need from your text book as per the syllabus. Keep in mind the notes that you create using other resources are the best possible notes you will find.

You may also attend some seminars. Throughout the year as you approach you half yearly and trial exams there are several seminars that are conducted. Attending these seminars should a time of revision, helping you to revise your notes and add on. Don't just attend because you think it's going to help you receive extra marks or because you will get a good set of study notes. There are several organisations that hold these seminars. Some of which i can recommend are Alpha Omega Education and Leading Edge Education.

In terms of publications when reading up on different case studies, don't assume that you need to have a copy of all the different main case studies available because your friends from other schools might have them too. You could simply use the cases that are in you text books and the majority of teachers will recommend particular case studies that are relevant to the cases studies being taught. There are several cases that you could use that have been put together by the NSW DET and CSU referred to at NSW HSC online. The website will provide links that will direct you to areas that will be of benefit in terms of case studies and report writing.

I also recommend you access Success One for Business Studies as this book provides you with worked solutions for all recent HSC exams. It also provides you with information on how and where to find questions from previous HSC exams according to each topic. Going through all the business reports and the extended responses is extremely beneficial especially having access to band 6 solutions in the back of the text.

Teachers also have trial papers and students should encourage themselves to get a copy and practice.

Watching the news as well as business and management shows on the weekend, reading financial journals/magazines and current articles will keep you informed of issues that may assist in report writing.

FINALLY

Maintain a positive attitude, be proactive and start preparing yourself ASAP. Gain a competitive advantage by summarizing each topic/chapter on a consistent routine, at the end of this step attempt questions from various such sources such as HSC past papers or textbook questions. This will expose you to a variety of questions giving you an insight on the different formats used. 'If you fail to plan, you will plan to fail.'

:cool:ALL THE BEST AND GOOD LUCK ALL BUSINESS STUDIES STUDENTS.:cool:

Examine

same
HSC
Hey there, nice guide! Just a few additions/corrections

For your tips I think its important to emphasise that different people have different ways of learning. For example, note taking is definitely the most common though there may be other people who find reading the textbook/notes of people who excelled better. Also, if they find this method more effective than making notes then they can potentially save a lot of time. However, I still agree that it would be good making notes based on the textbook and other people's notes, then synthesising it into your own words since this caters for understanding the content. I've also noticed that quite a lot of people in my class made study cards, which they found was really beneficial.

I think it's also important for students to judge for themselves the capacity for BoS to ask questions on certain dotpoints. For example, there are dotpoints where you definitely should prepare for high level short answers or extended responses, while there are others that are more catered for multiple choice/low tier short answers. I think being able to understand this difference would be a great asset for a student and will help with note taking along the way/

"- with report writing the emphasis is not on memorizing a case study or many cases. Theory is the main aspect of your report. My advice is to concentrate on the theory in your final report/extended response question in your Trials and HSC exams as markers are looking for understanding theory. This is where the majority of your marks are given. Don't try and memorize so many case studies believing that it will help you obtain greater marks as this is not true."

I think you may have gotten section III and section IV a bit mixed up here. Section III is the report that you do on a hypothetical business, and you don't include case studies. In this report, you do discuss the theory and then based on the stimulus you provide recommendations to the said business. Section IV is mainly written in essay form and is the section where you incorporate case studies. People generally take different approaches to this. In structuring their essays quite a lot of people forward the theory then add case study examples as a means of better answering the question by providing contemporary examples, though I found that even interweaving your case study with the theory also works. (this is the approach I took and I received 20/20 for trials and 18/20 in the HSC for section IV) In the end if you are in tune with the business world I feel there is less need for memorising (especially for operations and marketing) since its pretty intuitive.

- When writing reports you need to be constructive. Writing your response in the format of a formal essay is acceptable, however most teachers prefer you write in report style. Report writing is not difficult and is very easy to grasp, and it gets your information across easier with the use of sub headings. This is more likely to earn you higher marks. In the real business world information passed on to management needs to be relevant, to the point and clearly presented, and easy to interpret. Setting your response in the traditional essay format means that the vital information is somewhere within the writing and not necessarily in the right area.

This is definitely true, which is why a report structure is preferred for section III. However in this point I think you should emphasise that reports are used for section III, while essays are used for section IV. (since you are answering a question on the content rather than providing recommendations to a hypothetical business)

If i was to recommend a study guide it would be Macquarie Business Studies, because it concisely summarizes all the information you need from your text book as per the syllabus.

I'm not too sure if the Macquarie Business Studies study guide is catered for the new syllabus (I do remember it being a great resource for the old syllabus since a person ahead of the year of mine followed it like a bible). IMO although only providing 2 relevant exams the Cambridge study guide isn't too bad if you want summaries on the syllabus and want to check out how to structure essays/reports. A dotpoints book has also been released though when I went through it I didn't think that it was too relevant and I think it is better to judge the questions they can possibly ask as you go through each dotpoint. (this develops over time)

In terms of publications when reading up on different case studies, don't assume that you need to have a copy of all the different main case studies available because your friends from other schools might have them too. You could simply use the cases that are in you text books and the majority of teachers will recommend particular case studies that are relevant to the cases studies being taught. There are several cases that you could use that have been put together by the NSW DET and CSU referred to at NSW HSC online. The website will provide links that will direct you to areas that will be of benefit in terms of case studies and report writing.

I would even say that having just Qantas as a case study would be enough. Since there is an actual textbook dedicated to addressing dotpoints of the syllabus with Qantas as a case study, this will be easy in saving time. From my experiences I found that Cambridge's Crumpler and BSIA's Billabong case studies were quite low tier. Some case studies I suggest to research would be Google, Apple Inc. and Coca Cola Amatil which seem to have a truckload of information on the internet (especially for marketing/operations).

In the end it really just depends on the circumstance. Although the case study textbook on Qantas is quite comprehensive it has inherent weaknesses which make it difficult to answer certain questions (for example CSSA 2012's option which included inventory management as well as it being services). This is the main incentive for people researching other case studies, as depending on the situation these businesses may fit the question better than Qantas has. (when I answered the HSC 2012 section IV marketing ethics question since I felt I didn't have enough information on Qantas alone, I decided to also incorporate Marlboro, Apple Inc., and 2 other businesses I can't remember off of my head atm to more effectively answer the question). However, you may also receive a question where the student feels that Qantas is enough to answer the question. (for example, Meshy590 SR'd in 2012 and only used Qantas in his response if I recall correctly). If you are in the situation where you don't have any info on case studies, you are also able to make up hypothetical businesses according to the syllabus. (this tends to be a last resort for most since the info you make up usually has less depth than solid information unless you have been dedicated into making it beforehand rather than on the spot)

If anybody is keen on doing additional research this sticky thread may help with the process: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ss-studies-case-study-information-228940.html

I also recommend you access Success One for Business Studies as this book provides you with worked solutions for all recent HSC exams. It also provides you with information on how and where to find questions from previous HSC exams according to each topic. Going through all the business reports and the extended responses is extremely beneficial especially having access to band 6 solutions in the back of the text.

I recommend this book as well, but as of now it only has 2 relevant exams (due to the change in the syllabus). However, if you are looking to refine your structure this is definitely a great textbook (try find a copy at your library first).

This was a very well thought out and comprehensive guide, keep them coming iJimmy and best of luck with your HSC. I'm sure you'll do really well! :)

Last edited:

zhusalmz

HSC
I think memorizing the syllabus is one of if not the most important thing people can do if they want to score marks in the last 2 sections of the paper As well as trivializing the multiple choice / short answer sections.

Also with section IV I ended up writing it as an essay with integrated theory / case study information in each paragraph containing 1/2 stratigies and influences drawn directly from the syllabus outlined and underlined in each topic sentence. I'm almost certain I also copied Examine in directly referring to the syllabus in my introduction.. something along the lines of "The syllabus clearly identifies an array of strategies in which management can employ to respond to a variety of influences in their operations, both internal and external as well as domestically and internationally.. blah blah blah

Reactions: x1

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Thx for the advice and support, Examine thanks for the corrections and opinions, really helpful.

Reactions: x1

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
In both the extended responses just write "efficient", "effective", "highly competitive business environment", "sustainable competitive advantage", "cost leadership" and "profit maximization" a bunch of times. Guaranteed b6 response

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)