Business Studies - Section IV Case Studies (1 Viewer)

jackl25

HSC
Hey BoSers,

So, the 'case study' question - Q27 / 28.

I attempted a response for the 2008 HSC Qu:
Analyse the roles of managers and the skills they need to meet their responsibilities to the stakeholders involved in the employment relations process.

Should the focus of ones answer be addressing the question or the case studies (as I have done)?

1000 words,
  • 200 words for intro + conclusion
  • 260 words directly addressing the question
  • 540 words talking purely about case studies
Cheers,
Jack :)

Last edited:
HSC
Well, I'm no business studies expert but I think that's a pretty good structure.
Also, I've been taught that you can easily get the marks in approximately 800 words, they don't require up to a 1000, makes it a little easier.
Good luck! :)

michaeljennings

HSC
The focus of the question should be the content, the case studies are there to support/give evidence of how the the content of the syllabus is practiced in the real world, and should be secondary to you actually answering the question. ie. you have too much on case studies

TomTom123

HSC
Purely incorporating case studies into your answer is what your meant to do.
I bought the past papers work book and in all the recommended answers for part IV questions is all about case studies entirely.
What im going to do is make it up e.g. Coco cola, Qantas, Jb Hi-Fi as well as Nike ltd and then incorporate my own knowledge into them.

Hope ive helped

HSC
Purely incorporating case studies into your answer is what your meant to do.
I bought the past papers work book and in all the recommended answers for part IV questions is all about case studies entirely.
What im going to do is make it up e.g. Coco cola, Qantas, Jb Hi-Fi as well as Nike ltd and then incorporate my own knowledge into them.

Hope ive helped
I used to do what michaeljennings said but generally more case study discussion the stronger the response. And btw if you're going to make any info up that's fine but don't do it for a well known business and especially not Qantas because the markers know Qantas inside out.

michaeljennings

HSC
I used to do what michaeljennings said but generally more case study discussion the stronger the response. And btw if you're going to make any info up that's fine but don't do it for a well known business and especially not Qantas because the markers know Qantas inside out.
If you're pretty much only talking about case studies, and not demonstrating knowledge by answering what is actually required of the question, then that won't get you full marks.

It depends how the question is worded, some questions have asked for something along the lines of 'analyse the marketing plan of a business', which opens the way for a predominantly case studies based discussion, but in most cases you should be supplementing your knowledge with an example.

So i generally use a ratio of 1:1, and i get 19s and 20s for my extended responses from a teacher who is an hsc marker.

jackl25

HSC
If you're pretty much only talking about case studies, and not demonstrating knowledge by answering what is actually required of the question, then that won't get you full marks.

It depends how the question is worded, some questions have asked for something along the lines of 'analyse the marketing plan of a business', which opens the way for a predominantly case studies based discussion, but in most cases you should be supplementing your knowledge with an example.

So i generally use a ratio of 1:1, and i get 19s and 20s for my extended responses from a teacher who is an hsc marker.

I agree with you. 1:1 would be better, but I think this question specifically lends itself more to the case studies, as opposed to the theory. I mean, in describing the roles of management and the skills - there isn't really that much to it, other than a concise definition IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)