Buy Fe2O3 and Aluminium Powder in NSW?? (1 Viewer)

IEatBabies

HSC
I was wondering if Iron Oxide (Fe2O3 and Aluminum powder) are readily available in Australia.

A group of fellow students and I are going to engage in some 'extra curricular' over these coming holidays, and making the rust with iron nails in a salt water solution with a current passing through it isn't giving much results.

*If you havn't got the hints were making Thermite*

If they are whats the average cost per 100g?

If not what are some alternatives to getting these resources.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
knew you were gonna try thermite from the title. it's a little dangerous :p

IEatBabies

HSC
We're responsible people, just looking for some science filled activities these holidays.

Affinity

HSC
I am sure that you can find some rust around...
as with aluminium powder... if your school has a metal lathe then it's quite easy to grind up an aluminum rod. Ask your school about ordering chemicals otherwise.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
affinty is promoting mischief!! Oo!!

the chemicals maybe ordered i believe... except you need a licence to purchase them... so going to school might be your best bet...

alliuminum powder may be abit too reactive to be stable in air, so it might be obtained (i think) immensed in oil or other organic solvent of some sort...

also... don't do things that are too dangerous... it's not like TV and you can get hurt.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I know where and how to obtain the material, but since you're making thermite, I'm going to be responsible and not inform you.

Thermite needs to be very well planned and controlled. It could easily cover a large area with molten iron if not done correct. I would say seek professional supervision for something like that.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Uhhh ... find a home-made smelter (or make a primitive one made from stone you callous caveman!), place some rust or iron in it and inject Carbon Monoxide gas ... I'm not sure I'm not an actual anarchist or anything like that ...
bleurgh ... Damn oxidation

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
IEatBabies said:
I was wondering if Iron Oxide (Fe2O3 and Aluminum powder) are readily available in Australia.

A group of fellow students and I are going to engage in some 'extra curricular' over these coming holidays, and making the rust with iron nails in a salt water solution with a current passing through it isn't giving much results.

*If you havn't got the hints were making Thermite*

If they are whats the average cost per 100g?

If not what are some alternatives to getting these resources.

Thanks in advance :)
How are you going to ignite the Thermite though? You can't do it with a blow-torch; you need to get Magnism, or something similiar which has the ability to ignite the Thermite.

lokigaia

HSC
you can get both easil;y in australia.

don't try thermite, it's quite dangerous.

MaccaFacta

HSC
N/A
Thermite can create temperatures well over 1000 C. Wait until you've got a B.Sc. in Chemistry (or equivalent) before you muck around with this one. A splotch of molten iron in your face will ruin your whole day (and a fair bit of the rest of your life).

jamesy_1988

HSC
Having preformed the termite reaction whilst I was in school (under teacher supervision), I would advise you not to attempt it. Because of the dangers of this reaction; temperatures exceeding 1300 degrees C and the risk of explosion and scattering of molten metal it is no a wise idea. Also, aluminium powder is quite dangerous, as it is stored as a very fine powder, consequently when handled it sticks to everything, but worst of all, it will get it in your lungs, which in later life will not be pretty.

All I can advise you to do, is talk nicely to your chemistry teacher, and perform it safely in a controlled environment. Also, have you thought about the legality of doing this reaction outside of a school environment?

Jamesy

UBER!

HSC
Why not try making Touch Powder? Much safer and easier.. All you need is iodine and amonia mix it and leave it over night then pour off the excess liquid. and u have touch powder! But please be careful if u do undertake this as it is highly explosive if u drop it touch it hard hench name "touch" powder/lump

I in now way endorse any action taken on the above information and take no resposibilty or liability for any damages/injuries obtained blah blah

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
you can easliy find powdered aluminium, just buy it from ebay for $20
when we did that using iron oxide and magnesium we just asked the lab assistant for 50grams of iron oxide .. just dont say exaclty what you are going to use the iron for :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)