buying a new laptop (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
MacBook or surface pro
I was looking at surace pro, a lot of my friends use it and it is their primary computer they can run things like matlab and solidworks on it but it does become really laggy and very difficult to keep clean but will keep in mind. the screen size is a little too small for my comfort as well and the detachable keyboard I am not a fan of

he is not a comm student
lel

and also his engineering software isn't compatible with mac i think..
this is another reason why. I plan to do CFD and FEA as my professional electives and they can only run on windows and linux from what I gathered.

Both are good (presume Mac isn't an option as specified in Op) but you aren't going to find a Surface Pro 4 with an i7 for <$2k even with educational discount. $2k however should be able to get you the i5/256gb SP4 model with a Type Cover... but it misses out on most of the other requirements from Op:

1. processor: i7, 2.5Ghz+ at least running lots of engo software on it
3. Ram; 4-8gb
6. at least 2 usb ports (3.0 prefered)
6. no more than ~2k
8. dedicated graphs like 2gb preferred not fussed
9. keyboard/screen does not disconnect

I'm curious why 4gb of ram is ok but must be i7. Does i7 make that much of a difference for engo software vs. ram?
i looked at the surface pro 4 i7 with most of my specs but it is like 3k and I don't think it is "worth" the price for it when there are other computers that have same/similar specs that are cheaper
8gb of ram is prefered but I would settle at 4gb if it met every other requirement. from what I learnt, the i7 just has more process power. my current computer has a i5 and it is slow, and has a small cache iirc 4mb so something like i7 that has like 16mb cache will mean that when I run my stuff it would hopefully be a little bit quicker. preferably multi-threaded as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i looked at the surface pro 4 i7 with most of my specs but it is like 3k and I don't think it is "worth" the price for it when there are other computers that have same/similar specs that are cheaper
8gb of ram is prefered but I would settle at 4gb if it met every other requirement. from what I learnt, the i7 just has more process power. my current computer has a i5 and it is slow, and has a small cache iirc 4mb so something like i7 that has like 16mb cache will mean that when I run my stuff it would hopefully be a little bit quicker. preferably multi-threaded as well.
If you don't like the portability/form factor of SP4 then no point paying the premium for it. Maybe just settle for a decent normal laptop which may not be so light. I was thinking something like the Razer ultrabook might be suitable at AU$1550 incl GST. It doesn't have discrete graphics card but it's getting rave reviews, and if you really want dedicated graphics (maybe for gaming?) then you could buy the external GPU case (although it will be quite exxy).

Per Engadget:
12.5-inch IGZO 16:9 aspect ratio, capacitive multi-touch display
◾QHD (2560 x 1440)
◾128 GB / 256GB PCIe SSD options
◾UHD (3840 x 2160)
◾256 GB / 512 GB PCIe SSD options
◾Intel Core i7-6500U Dual-Core Processor (2.5 GHz / 3.1 GHz)
◾Intel HD Graphics 520
◾128 GB / 256 GB PCIe SSD options (QHD display models)
◾256 GB / 512 GB PCIe SSD options (UHD display models)
◾8 GB Dual-Channel System Memory (LPDDR3-1866MHz)
◾Windows 10 (64-bit)
◾Wireless-AC (802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.1)
◾Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
◾USB 3.0 port x 2 (SuperSpeed)
◾Built-in webcam (2.0 MP)
◾Chroma anti-ghosting keyboard with individually backlit keys
◾HDMI 1.4b audio and video output
◾Built-in stereo speakers
◾3.5 mm headphone/microphone combo port
◾Built-in array microphone
◾Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) security chip embedded
◾Compact 45 W USB-C power adapter
◾Built-in 45 Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
◾0.52-inch / 13.1 mm (Height) x 12.6-inch / 321 mm (Width) x 8.1-inch / 206 mm (Depth)
◾2.75 lbs / 1.25 kg

Razer Blade Stealth is available now online. The QHD 128G is $1,549, the QHD 256GB $1,849, the 4K 256GB costs $2,149 and the 4K 512GB comes in at $2,449.
URL: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/05/razers-gaming-ultrabook-is-targeted-at-versatile-gamers/

URL to buy: http://www.razerzone.com/au-en/store/razer-blade-stealth

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't like the portability/form factor of SP4 then no point paying the premium for it. Maybe just settle for a decent normal laptop which may not be so light. I was thinking something like the Razer ultrabook might be suitable at AU$1550 incl GST. It doesn't have discrete graphics card but it's getting rave reviews, and if you really want dedicated graphics (maybe for gaming?) then you could buy the external GPU case (although it will be quite exxy).

Per Engadget:

URL: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/05/razers-gaming-ultrabook-is-targeted-at-versatile-gamers/

might actually get this one

has everything I want in it and 1.5k sounds like a bargain c:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Some of my friends had enough of having issues with using specific softwares on mac, so they bought surfaces.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

Per Engadget:

This is actually pretty good, how come I never seen this before. Its compatible and powerful at a reasonable price, damn should of got this than a 15' Dell Inspiron. 10/10 recommend to get this, because having a processor at that price its a massive bargain.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It seems to be getting rave reviews in the US and Asia but I suspect the external gpu "CORE" is going to be ridiculously expensive and impractical. But an i7 with Intel 520 is more than sufficient for CSGO/Simcity/etc (at least the games I play because they run great on my i5 with Intel 520) so it seems like a pretty good balanced option!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the help/advice guys

I didn't end up getting the stealth one but I got an asus zenbook instead

I've been using it for about 1 hour now and it is pretty good Im happy with it. Will post a review on it later

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
my review after using it for about 1 month

pretty good computer overall but not the best.

the chasis of the computer is made from finished aluminum metal and is very prone to dents and damage. the keyboard is alright very comfortable. The touch screen interface makes things so much easier when scrolling or when your laying down and want to use it without the track pad. The screen itself becomes quite blury at times and fuzzy (considering it said HD). The computer comes with a lot of bloatware. It becomes slow after a little while and can't handle more than a few programs at a time.

turntaker

HSC
Get a dell xps of you can get a good deal really nice

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
sick asus zenbooks are the best

What do you mean the screen gets blurry? I personally got the touch screen over non-touch screen for the glossy screen rather than the anti-glare screen. I think they look much clearer and sharper.
yeah I'm saying from time to time, the screen gets blurry and you can see the letters and pictures all fuzzy and unclear. Glossy screen is better too imo because it's easier to touch.

turntaker

HSC
yeah I'm saying from time to time, the screen gets blurry and you can see the letters and pictures all fuzzy and unclear. Glossy screen is better too imo because it's easier to touch.
That's a DPI issue.
Just google how to fix it

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
That's a DPI issue.
Just google how to fix it
I have. Right now my screen is perfectly crystal clear but on the often ocassion it does that and goes all blurry. After like 2 minutes it fixes itself

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah pretty sure that's a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

I get the same thing, really annoying, but haven't been bothered to google for a long-term fix. It happens seemingly randomly with certain apps.
Yeah this.

I thought it was my eyes or something but after using matlab or Chrome for to long or happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)