Buying text books ! (1 Viewer)

katie2011

HSC
Hey people,
Just wondering are the texts that we need listed as "text" in the co-op bookshop website ? and "recommended" the ones you don't particulary need ?
Trying to get all the texts i need before the rush. Also is it worthwhile to look into buying second hand books because its SO EXPENSIVE :eek:
Any other advice comments on textbooks would be appreciated :)

Claire_xox

Premium Member
HSC
Anything that is listed as "text" is a text you'll have to have. If it says "recommended" you don't particularly need it but it may be advantageous for assignments, tests, etc.
I'd recommend buying second hand because you'll save a lot of money. This site is fantastic: http://www.textbookexchange.com.au/content.php/25.html usually you can just meet up with somebody on your campus or pay the extra for postage. Also, http://booko.com.au/ is pretty good, just search for your book and it'll give you a list of the cheapest places to buy it online.
Word of caution, always check the edition no. before you buy because you may end up with an out of date textbook. The list on the co-op site should tell you what edition you need.

Salliea

HSC
Say...would it be too late to buy second-hand books after the first week of uni?
>_> All of my courses requires books, and they're really expensive. I want to wait and see if I would need them for the course .__."

Bloomster

HSC
N/A
I've been comparing prices from the Co-op Bookshop with www.fishpond.com.au. There are many good reductions. I've bought 2 book so far from fishpond and saved $100 for the exact same editions as the Co-op store. One book alone was half price with a saving of $70.

I've also emailed some of the lecturers directly to check the required text and surprisingly got emails back straight away confirming the required text and edition.

Previous to the above, I was using the Macquarie book exchange, but didn't have any luck with the people selling their books. This was just my experience, but they either didn't reply, or just told me that the book was the correct edition just to make the sale. When I checked with the lecturers, the book was in fact the wrong edition. I also arranged to meet someone on campus to buy a book and they didn't show up, even though I'd given my mobile no in case they had a change of heart.

Hope this helps.

Blizane

HSC
Say...would it be too late to buy second-hand books after the first week of uni?
>_> All of my courses requires books, and they're really expensive. I want to wait and see if I would need them for the course .__."
You really do need all your textbooks for just about all first year accounting/finance subjects. I've known a couple of people who wouldn't buy the books and just use the library ones, but in my opinion thats waaaay too much of a hassle having to find a spare book in the library, photocopy pages out of it, do tute questions while at uni and not at home, etc. Not to mention when it comes to exam time, not having the freedom of having your own book to look at whenever you need.

I think the first year subject requirements have changed a bit since when I did them, but the only one I would considering 'optional' was ACST101

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
You really do need all your textbooks for just about all first year accounting/finance subjects. I've known a couple of people who wouldn't buy the books and just use the library ones, but in my opinion thats waaaay too much of a hassle having to find a spare book in the library, photocopy pages out of it, do tute questions while at uni and not at home, etc. Not to mention when it comes to exam time, not having the freedom of having your own book to look at whenever you need.

I think the first year subject requirements have changed a bit since when I did them, but the only one I would considering 'optional' was ACST101
The elements book was in my opinion completely useless for ACST101, all the information you needed for elements was in the lecture notes. On the other hand I thought the elements book was very useful for practice & revision.

rayy_bann

HSC
Can someone please give us a link for the units and required textbooks in Macquarie :) ?

Thank you!

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad

rayy_bann

HSC
Oh yes another ID registration?

I have now a few collection of passwords just for Macquarie university alone...haha

Salliea

HSC
Really? Lol, I only have 2 :blink2:
One for the e-student and another for this OneID thing...unless you also count my Campus Card haha xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)