CA Achievers program - 2009 (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
CA = Chartered Accountants.

No point in slamming the program just because it doesn't offer what you are after. Pretty funny that you seem to have missed the whole point of the program though.
I'm not slamming the program at all - if they don't want me I'm not getting work experience so it doesn't bother me at all.

I did alright in my first year accounting unit and I find some bits of accounting interesting however a first year maths student isn't very good at risk management.

chocolatecake

HSC
N/A
hey, chocolatecake. We still may have some hope, cos i emailed them today, and they said.

'
At the moment the Institute is in the process of sending out letters to inform applicants if they have been successful or not. Please allow another two weeks to receive this letter. '

so yeh, still have hope :)
Really? Sending out letters...that's gona make me keep an eye on the mailbox as well as email, double the effort!!
Thanks for telling me arowana, hope we both get some good news soon!!

tristek

HSC
N/A
How did those of you who heard find out? was it an email or a letter, or a phone call (or something I haven't even thought of?) Just wondering if it's an indication. I'm not too worried yet though as It's taken them more than 6 weeks to sift through, so they obviously have a very large number of people to deal with - hopefully I'm just lower down the list (alphabetically...??)

treblaC

HSC
Heyy guys!

I got my response from the CA - through e-mail. Around late afternoon to evening on Tuesday.
I don't really know how the short-listing process works for the program, but you guys could still be in with a chance going off what's written in the posts above. =]
However, in most cases, those that advance through the selection process always get notified first and the 'unfortunatley competition was strong this year, and positions limited' letters/e-mails come out at a later date. But don't be dismayed, this might not be the case in this instance.

Either way all the best! If someone called them directly, it's better to go off their word from the CA program facilitators.

Any past achievers want to shed more light on the selection process?

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
Heyy guys!

I got my response from the CA - through e-mail. Around late afternoon to evening on Tuesday.
I don't really know how the short-listing process works for the program, but you guys could still be in with a chance going off what's written in the posts above. =]
However, in most cases, those that advance through the selection process always get notified first and the 'unfortunatley competition was strong this year, and positions limited' letters/e-mails come out at a later date. But don't be dismayed, this might not be the case in this instance.

Either way all the best! If someone called them directly, it's better to go off their word from the CA program facilitators.

Any past achievers want to shed more light on the selection process?

Kind Regards
i would agree with your theory....
but yeh, hopefully i still have a chance..

tristek

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know each day my chances are dropping, but I just wondered. Anyway, it must take them ages to get all the approvals out too. As I said, I'm hopeful but worried, as I got my application in nice and early, just a week after opening, but my last name starts with 'S' - a long way down the list.

I just want to know ASAP so I can start looking for other summer work otherwise - I'm a mature student with 2 kids so need to earn rent / petrol / Christmas money!

nellyei

HSC
hey guys

just wondering if anyone got accepted in Canberra for the CA program?

tristek

HSC
N/A
Hi all, I got my 'thank you but no thank you' letter by email today for Sydney.

Oh well, I've since improved my CV with extra-curricular bits and pieces, so hopefully I'm in a better position for next year, and at least I know now!

Good luck to everyone, but I suspect the yes-s have all gone out now and the no-s are the only ones to come.

lisztphisto

HSC
for the people who already did their interviews, did you do a group presentation as well ?

could you please give us some advice on that?

thanks heaps!
:D

RuffWoof

HSC
^

hi, a few months ago I was in a group assessment at a Big 4 and managed to land a cadetship. So based on my experience (which may be different for applying for an internship but I think is pretty much the same), here are my tips for the group assessment (note I was tired so some things may be badly worded):

TASK: we were given a company briefing with several options on the best way to market the company. In the given in the time we had (1 hr), the goal was to choose just ONE option based on a set criteria (e.g. finances, short term vs long term etc).

Tips:
- be proactive in discussion, but don't try to dominate and scold what others say.
- Read the news, media etc especially on government policy to ensure that your input is meaningful and that you have intelligence.
- If there is a whiteboard, try to be the guy that uses it to write down the group's ideas. That way it looks like your proactive and puts you in strong position to direct the flow of the discussion which shows your leadership skills.
- Praise other people's ideas, this shows that you are willing to listen to others and that you are not arrogant.
- Understand what is asked of you at the very start of the assessment (VERY IMPORTANT). If you feel the team is not moving in this direction, tell them.

These are just general tips as group assessments differ between the Big 4. You should also google 'assessment centres Big 4' and there are plenty of websites (wikijob is particularly good) that give you further advice specific to each firm.

Last edited:

lisztphisto

HSC
thanks!

i really appreciate the generous help!

and congrats with your success in the interview!

91bang

HSC
@neill Mine was on Thursday. And I didn't get past the interview stage i just got the whole you were excellent bullshit at the end of my interview:( aw wells knocked back on my first ever interview.

treblaC

HSC
Oh i'm sorry 91Bang.

It's all just practice for a bigger picture. I'm sure you'll improve and do better in your more significant job/scholarship interviews to come.

Can you tell us more about what happened? the process and the questions please?

inthegrid

HSC
So we weren't told straight after out interviews whether we were successful or not.. We were told we'd get an email in a few weeks. Was anyone told anything different for the Sydney program?

Prada_Girl

HSC
The co-ordinator told us that we have been given a space of 2 weeks to hear back from the CA, but more than likely we will receive a notification at the end of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)