• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CA uses ad to separate the profession (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
after i read the afr today there was a big ad, by CA trying to discriminate CPA and try to exaggerate themselves as the better "qualification", which may be true in fact but wouldnt that be prejudice?

info here

what do you's think about it?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
not prejudice...i havent read the afr ad, but ive seen the television ad, it states facts...well attempts to neway :p
an extreme campaign undertaken by ICAA nonetheless, it is harsh, but it doesnt really deviate from the truth, hence its justified...
i based my post on what i remember of the CA ad...someone with a better memory can make a better judgement of whether it deviates from the truth

the big picture: i agree with CPA, its dividing the profession, its common knowledge htat CA is more prestigious and a harder qualification to attain, tehy dont really need to instill this in the publics mind

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
velox said:
yeah saw that in bulliten. I though CPA > CA but now i know ;)
See that's the thing, because CPA has 105,000 members and CA has only 24,000 members, people automatically assume CPA is better. This is made even more the case with the CPA constantly boasting that it is the largest finance, accounting and business body in Australia.

The fact of the matter is that the CA is a much more difficult qualification to attain, and is hence is regarded as"superior". CA has not been able to grow its membership at the same rate as CPA because many business graduates find the program to be too difficult.

So I'd have to say that the CA's information campaign will probably encourage more graduates to take on the challenge of the CA program by informing them of why it is better than the rival product.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, yeah CA shouldn't have to resort to that type of advertising, it's qualification is difficult to maintain and thats common knowledge - people aren't gonna be swayed from joining CPA by this ad campaign since they'll be like "its too hard anyway"

Sucks for me, I have no choice but to do CA anyway..

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
that add annoyed me. and why isnt there any sound?

fuck the CA.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
its a scrolling thing. black blackground, very boring and shit.

it goes something like this

"a message to australian business

the CA qualification is a gradaute diploma

the CPA is not.

the CA is some something in the UK

the CPA is not."

and it just keeps comparing. no sound, just a scrolly message with the ICAA symbol at the end. i havent seen the printed add so im not sure if its the same

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
what about financial planning qualifications? which is better: FPA or SIA?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Minai said:
Hmm, yeah CA shouldn't have to resort to that type of advertising, it's qualification is difficult to maintain and thats common knowledge - people aren't gonna be swayed from joining CPA by this ad campaign since they'll be like "its too hard anyway"

Sucks for me, I have no choice but to do CA anyway..
minai, did you score the ernst & young job thru doing vacational work at the end of your 2nd yr? if not how?

btw, congrats on that.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Seraphim i was always under the impression taht SIA was the most l33t organisation i dont know y :p but theyre essentailly the same thing, actually these holidays i mite read up on this

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
lol u wudnt get much debate about that one man :p
plus not many ppl know bout it...as opposed to say CA vs CPA

theone123

blue essence
HSC
FPA is good same as SIA, but i heard they are merging, or maybe its something else, im not sure if SIA can lead into a CFP but for SIA u can do a DFP etc. etc.

hope i helped lol.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
nah I didnt do vacation work - I just applied for a graduate position

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
§eraphim said:
what about financial planning qualifications? which is better: FPA or SIA?
There is currently a propasal to merge the AIBF (the organisation that represents bankers and finance professionals) with the SIA (the orgainsation that trains finance and market anaysts). The vote is going to be held this week or next. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the vote because it will finally create one professional bopdy overlooking all banking and finance industry members in Australia.

In relation to your question about what is better: they represent two completely different areas. SIA tends to be market-based financial anaysts and FPA is the Financial Planners' Association. SIA has now started to move into financial planning, but its nowhere near as big as FPA.

Just remeber, comparing SIA and FPA is like comparing apples with oranges:

1. The Securities Institute is the professional body that represents the securities and financial services industry.

2. The FPA is the professional association fo qualified financial planners in Australia.

When you want to retire or get financial advice, you go to a financial planner.
FPAs serve individuals, like retirees or well-off individuals, where as the SIA qualified ppl work in banks & other financial institutions. They are two completely different organisations within the field of finance.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
haha i was thinking about this .. past week watchin wimbledon im like wtf so many CA ads dissing the CPA's

then tonight whilst watchin monk i saw CPA ads... tryin to fix their reputation up after the CA ads haha

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Have you seen the new ones? Theres another, more flashy one by the CA.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
the one about the numbers??
pfft theyre not number one in numbers :p
btw 011...love that carrera

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)