Cable Net --- Networking (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I have 2 computers that are networked.

They share a dial up connection to use the net. This comp is host comp.

I am next week getting cable net installed on this comp. Is it possible, and is it difficult to get the other to use the cable net as well?

Ac

sunny

meh.
HSC
How are you currently sharing the connection?

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
i did that just the other day....man we had so many viruses that we didnt kno, it was so much trouble when it could be so fast and simple

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac
I have 2 computers that are networked.

They share a dial up connection to use the net. This comp is host comp.

I am next week getting cable net installed on this comp. Is it possible, and is it difficult to get the other to use the cable net as well?

Ac
Well, assuming you are using XP, the answer is yes :) I really like the networking wizard on XP.. it used to be so werid on 98.. btw, how is your computer networked currently? I've also got a 2-computer network here and they are just linked by one cable using two network cards.. it's working fine ;) umm.. a router would be nice when I get ADSL though :p since you don't need one comptuer on for the other to access the Internet :)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Ok. Well. one computer (this one) is XP the other is 98. They both have notwrok cards and tehre is a blue cable connecting them.

Does that answer the question? Whats p2p?

Ac

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
WHOA! lets keep it simple, Ac is obviously not a GEEK. :)

hokay, as long as your host computer has windows 98 B edition (or whatever its called) or later, ie 2000, XP, 2003, etc etc., you can quite easily share.

It even has a name for it:
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
if you have Windows XP, you can search in Windows Help, and it should give you enough information to set it up quicksmart.

However, ICS can be a major pain in the arse to set up. If you have more problems, let us know, we can try to help.

alternatively, you can do a search on Google, about ICS. There are plenty of sites lying around.

Don't worry about P2P, if your computers are shared (which they obviously are) you can use Internet Connection Sharing. Its actually quite easy, there is a wizard on XP, you run it. On your client (other computer) you just set the IP adress to "auto acquire" more or less, and it works. lol, VERY basic, but you get the idea.

fatmuscle

HSC
thought u only need to setup ICS with Win98b/SE

2000+ has that simple thing called a checkbox for enabling ICS and that handy thing called dial on-demand!

if it's all networked but still not working, check:

*cables are all correct (straight / cross, pins are actually touching)
*NICs are all working properly
*IP and subnets are all correct
*workgroup is the same name

Reason2Live

yes its very simple to get 2 computers to share internet without a router, and when i first did it i used this site HERE , it was very helpfull to me

Winston

HSC
hmmm... first of all it's called Windows 98 Second Edition, A, B,C naming conventions were only used on Windows 95.

All you require is a cross over ethernet cable, plug the cable into both of the computers network card.

Then for your cable modem, choose which PC you would like to have it on, so lets in this case take your PC as it. Your PC will then have to be turned on for the other PC to access the internet obviously.
Cable modem wise you should attach it via USB connection.

Once that's done, all you need to really do is make sure you can go online with your PC first. Once that's fine. To make things easier for yourself. You can start up the Network Wizard Setup in My Network Places and follow on the on screen instructions.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I have winbdows 98 FIRST edition... that wont cause any problems will it?

Thanks for that site man

Winston is the best :)

Ac

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac
I have winbdows 98 FIRST edition... that wont cause any problems will it?

Thanks for that site man

Winston is the best :)

Ac

First of all no it won't. Second of all... Windows 98 i don't quite think can share the net... but is your OWN PC, the one with the cable modem XP?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
the host computer does need 2 network cards. one to plug the modem into and the other for the cable to the other comp. i had this problem when i first installed a network. you cannot plug the modem into the usb and have one network card, it will not work. took ages to figure out but optus told me finally.........

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by mr_speedy
the host computer does need 2 network cards. one to plug the modem into and the other for the cable to the other comp. i had this problem when i first installed a network. you cannot plug the modem into the usb and have one network card, it will not work. took ages to figure out but optus told me finally.........

Yes... but it depends what modem you get, i think Optus also uses the Motorola Surfboard which has integrated NIC, and also USB, personally i'd use the USB, that's what i used and it worked fine.... but now i don't need to anymore since i use a router.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
LoL. I will try tonight mate. Got the cable 2 days ago but been hanging out at my g/f's.

I'm as anxious as yuo. And the modem says Motarola on it :)

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Tremendous!! It works.

Easiest shit ever. The XP Wizard did all, made me create a network disk that I opened on the 98 computer and it all went easy from there.

Both computers online and going nice and fast.

Thanks all heaps!

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)