Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahahahaha this guy

I've been meaning to splurge a bit every time I receive a paycheck though I'm not sure how (was thinking of just dining out somewhere nice)
You have to do it at some point otherwise you'll feel sad that you are missing out on funtimez! I always saved at least a quarter of my take home pay back then; and then grew this to half.

Eventually I had enough to buy a decent car when I was 21. So I did.

There's something very satisfying about doing that!

enoilgam

HSC
Can anyone tell me how many days and hours cadets are expected to work and how much it will impact social and uni life?
I was never a cadet, but I finished uni and started working full-time before most of my friends. It does impact your social life to a degree, but it depends on who you hang out with. Like, Im free on Friday nights, all weekend and straight after work, which is exactly when most of my friends aren't free. Most uni students are free Friday/Saturday nights but my friends aren't, so that has an impact on me. This is especially the case when they do stuff mostly on weekdays or Sunday nights (I dont get this either).

It was satisfying getting my first paycheck and being able to afford a Nintendo DS Lite.

The month after I bought a PSP.

And then a few months later I bought an Xbox 360.
The first full-time pay check I got was hugely satisfying. I think a lot of that has to do with enjoying work though, because if you are happy and earning good money, it feels great. But if you have a bad boss or work for a bad company, then no pay check is going to make you feel good about that.

ksubitb

HSC
N/A
Anybody have any idea when the Cadetship night is?
I heard it was around late May but the C.A hasn't posted anything about it yet...

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Anybody have any idea when the Cadetship night is?
I heard it was around late May but the C.A hasn't posted anything about it yet...
I don't know if they still do the Cadetship Night, Couldn't find deets about it but the Employment Evening by the ICAA was the other night at Luna Park.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
what I heard from rumors that EY only accepts students who are HD averager and 90+ atar
You're misinformed on so many levels about all this as I read your posts here. EY is definitely not like this, in addition BDO doesn't offer advisory cadetships. (since you were looking into that field) - definitely consider PwC and Deloitte as well.

I don't know if they still do the Cadetship Night, Couldn't find deets about it but the Employment Evening by the ICAA was the other night at Luna Park.
They do a Cadetship night every year, wait a bit longer, they don't post until a month or two before the event. (probably in relation to finding a suitable venue since they seem to change it year on year)

Chronost

HSC
You have to do it at some point otherwise you'll feel sad that you are missing out on funtimez! I always saved at least a quarter of my take home pay back then; and then grew this to half.

Eventually I had enough to buy a decent car when I was 21. So I did.

There's something very satisfying about doing that!
Odd thing was I was saving quite well (almost 75%) for my first 9-10 months in the job (probably due to working casual for another job for 2.5 years before that so I usually bought all I needed) , however savings have gone less strict and more down hill these past few months as I book travel,odd purchases and Girlfriend start digging into my savings. Definitely not as strict on savings as I want to be currently.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You're misinformed on so many levels about all this as I read your posts here. EY is definitely not like this, in addition BDO doesn't offer advisory cadetships. (since you were looking into that field) - definitely consider PwC and Deloitte as well.
Well at the career fair at UTS, I told them what I was doing and they said "You would be in the advisory department . please apply for our cadetship".. I was like okay...

The only thing stopping me for applying that I dont think I have the adequate resume or characterisitcs.. which the only thing I am interested is getting paid to study + work

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The first full-time pay check I got was hugely satisfying. I think a lot of that has to do with enjoying work though, because if you are happy and earning good money, it feels great. But if you have a bad boss or work for a bad company, then no pay check is going to make you feel good about that.
Very true. I guess the marvel of professional service firms is that you have many bosses depending on which client engagement you happen to be on (reminds me a bit of Suits too!).

Odd thing was I was saving quite well (almost 75%) for my first 9-10 months in the job (probably due to working casual for another job for 2.5 years before that so I usually bought all I needed) , however savings have gone less strict and more down hill these past few months as I book travel,odd purchases and Girlfriend start digging into my savings. Definitely not as strict on savings as I want to be currently.
I know the feeling.

As someone once said to me- early on when you earn little you become very good at buying what you need, and needing what you buy. Unfortunately over time as your savings and salary increases, this can change a lot especially if you continue to have very low recurring/mandatory expenditure (i.e. living at home without paying much rent).

After a while, I just came to rely on my automatic recurring monthly transfer to take money out of salary and put into high interest earning accounts.

Chronost

HSC
Hey guys, this is my first post on BOS! I've always been a lurker on this forum since my HSC days in 2013 when i'd check and read everything related to the HSC exam i just did and spend the rest of the night figuring out what i got right and what i got wrong rather than study for an exam the next day :p
And now i've been lurking the forums as i've been interested in cadetships for a while, and reading the previous cadetship threads has definately broadened my knowledge of cadetships thanks to everyone on the forum and of course seremify who i've become aware of HAHA

I recently transferred into Bachelor of Business @ UTS transferring from a health science degree at USYD, after figuring out science was not for me (did not do science in highschool, but still opted for health science). I've always enjoyed business as i did all business subjects for my HSC and enjoyed my business electives whilst at USYD, and i've come to actually enjoy accounting and find it interesting like how i found economics interesting. The reason i picked health science was because at the time, I felt i wanted to try the field in sciences and see how i'd go, plus i was curious about the field of Physio. After finding out I'm a more business person, and i just did not understand science, i made the switch.

I did not perform good at all in my first semester of health sciences, which is when i realised science wasn't for me, and because i admit, wasn't putting a lot of effort due to not understanding science, which i ended up failing 2 science cores but performing well in my macro elective. It was then i decided to pick up my game and luckily for me, 2nd semester had no science cores, to which i took advantage of and got my time management etc up to notch. I ended up getting a HD, 2 high credits (74 for both) and a credit for one other subject, which picked up my overall WAM to 66, allowing me to transfer to Business @ UTS and am currently enjoying it and performing well (no assessment marks back yet, but aced all my econ quizzes and found a passion for accounting).
My questions are:
- Would including my experience at USYD in my resume ruin my prospects of landing a cadetship once employers find out about my first semester academic transcript?
- I applied for a Private Young Achievers program at Deloitte and they asked for my grades up till date, but i have yet to have any assessments yet, so i put 90%+ as the only results i've gotten back are 4 of my econ quizzes worth 5% each which i scored 90%+ in. Would this be lying?

Sorry for the wall of text guys haha but thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'll tell you now fails on a transcript are never good because they literally linger on your transcript and always stay there, that being said since you're doing another degree altogether you might be able to just hide it away - again if the employer asks for your results past few years or if they asked what you did in your first year - then you might need to provide the necessary transcript for the year. I'm not sure how it works with a switch of uni and degree but I know certain organisations really don't like fails on transcripts and at the very least the big 4 will question you about it.

In terms of grades up till date - you might need to provide some evidence of your marks later and sometimes the quizzes aren't what they meant - but I can see how that question could be interpreted as such and sometimes you just need to email them and clarify what they meant about grades up to date.

Just to note: A semester of accounting doesn't entail a passion - if anything even though the basics are always relevant and are the core , there's much more to accounting then accruals and bad debts

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Why does PwC/others recruit trainees who spend a year at uni first, then begin work in second year? Wouldn't it be ideal to recruit first years from a larger talent pool?

hdl

HSC
I'll tell you now fails on a transcript are never good because they literally linger on your transcript and always stay there, that being said since you're doing another degree altogether you might be able to just hide it away - again if the employer asks for your results past few years or if they asked what you did in your first year - then you might need to provide the necessary transcript for the year. I'm not sure how it works with a switch of uni and degree but I know certain organisations really don't like fails on transcripts and at the very least the big 4 will question you about it.

In terms of grades up till date - you might need to provide some evidence of your marks later and sometimes the quizzes aren't what they meant - but I can see how that question could be interpreted as such and sometimes you just need to email them and clarify what they meant about grades up to date.

Just to note: A semester of accounting doesn't entail a passion - if anything even though the basics are always relevant and are the core , there's much more to accounting then accruals and bad debts
Changed to interest*. I know that transferring unis gives you a "fresh start", but I guess If i am asked to provide an academic record of my time in the health science degree, I'll have no choice and hope for the best.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Changed to interest*. I know that transferring unis gives you a "fresh start", but I guess If i am asked to provide an academic record of my time in the health science degree, I'll have no choice and hope for the best.
In your grades, I'm fairly sure you are asking for your ATAR, not a quiz mark you got (which many 'top' kids will get 100% in). So until you get your semester/yearly marks, you should quote your ATAR I assume - especially for cadetships.

Even if you are asked to provide your health science degree, I think you could just be genuine and say you didn't find it interesting at all etc/wasn't your type but now you like business.

Also, I would be careful with using the word 'passion'. It sounds fairly fake when people say 'I'm passionate about accounting or 'managing relationships with *insert buzz words*' etc.

Good luck with your apps!

hdl

HSC
In your grades, I'm fairly sure you are asking for your ATAR, not a quiz mark you got (which many 'top' kids will get 100% in). So until you get your semester/yearly marks, you should quote your ATAR I assume - especially for cadetships.

Even if you are asked to provide your health science degree, I think you could just be genuine and say you didn't find it interesting at all etc/wasn't your type but now you like business.

Also, I would be careful with using the word 'passion'. It sounds fairly fake when people say 'I'm passionate about accounting or 'managing relationships with *insert buzz words*' etc.

Good luck with your apps!
Yep, can confirm that I can use my ATAR to fill out the Questionnaire even though it asked for "Current University Average". I also have included my health science degree onto my resume, highlighting my High Distinction and high credits for my second sem subjects, and I would have to explain to them if they enquired about my academic transcript for that degree. I guess i used the word passion in my cover letter to highlight that i do hold an interest for accounting and i can see myself in that line of work, but i do understand how that might sound fake :/

And thanks a lot :)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Yep, can confirm that I can use my ATAR to fill out the Questionnaire even though it asked for "Current University Average". I also have included my health science degree onto my resume, highlighting my High Distinction and high credits for my second sem subjects, and I would have to explain to them if they enquired about my academic transcript for that degree. I guess i used the word passion in my cover letter to highlight that i do hold an interest for accounting and i can see myself in that line of work, but i do understand how that might sound fake :/

And thanks a lot :)
I had a pretty shocking mark for Maths during Year 12 how ever I managed to decent/better in one of the latter assessments and I used that to my advantage in my interviews by explaining how I'd handle a situation where I encountered difficulties and all that jazz. If you had bad marks in a course you weren't happy in but you're doing better in a course you like, then I'd say use that to your advantage, show them that you learnt from the experience and applied that.

Reactions: hdl

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I had a pretty shocking mark for Maths during Year 12 how ever I managed to decent/better in one of the latter assessments and I used that to my advantage in my interviews by explaining how I'd handle a situation where I encountered difficulties and all that jazz. If you had bad marks in a course you weren't happy in but you're doing better in a course you like, then I'd say use that to your advantage, show them that you learnt from the experience and applied that.
Is that an impressive thing for an interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)