Cadetship Takers: Uni Course - UTS vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Soda_Can

HSC
Ho-kay. So. There's quite a few threads already out there attempting to answer this aforementioned question.

If you have a cadetship....which damn uni do you choose?

I'm currently in that position at the moment and after reading all the other material - I'll be honest - I got hell lost.

So, from the guys/girls who are actually in the middle of a cadetship, or have taken one - UNSW's BComm or UTS's BBus...which one's better for what? [I'm targetting ye cos I'd imagine I'll be in your position in 12 months :p]

I'm aware of the other thread and its rundown of both, but could anyone just list out the pro's and con's of either side? (In layman's terms?)

Cheers.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
UTS of course. close to pwc, ey, kpmg etc. reasonable distance to wynyard. not a bitch to get out to like unsw.

phrred

HSC
Soda_Can said:
Ho-kay. So. There's quite a few threads already out there attempting to answer this aforementioned question.

If you have a cadetship....which damn uni do you choose?

I'm currently in that position at the moment and after reading all the other material - I'll be honest - I got hell lost.

So, from the guys/girls who are actually in the middle of a cadetship, or have taken one - UNSW's BComm or UTS's BBus...which one's better for what? [I'm targetting ye cos I'd imagine I'll be in your position in 12 months :p]

I'm aware of the other thread and its rundown of both, but could anyone just list out the pro's and con's of either side? (In layman's terms?)

Cheers.
reputation new south
convenience uts

you're speaking accounting correct?

Soda_Can

HSC
that's correct. accounting major, might take another one if i choose to later...

keep the ideas coming :p

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
In the end, if you already have a cadetship and an almost guaranteed job offer at the end if you do alright, so I wouldn't worry too much about where you go to uni. After you graduate, it'll be more about your work experience and professional skills that they will look at, which you'll easily gain from your cadetship, so as long as you get the required education, it's fine. The Accounting major is pretty much the same at all the unis because of the CA/CPA requirements, so I'd personally go to UTS for convinience. If you have friends going to UNSW then perhaps that might be a reason to choose that one.

ph0en1x

HSC
lets add macquarie to the mix. i was intending to go 2 unsw, but was advised by the firm (ms west) to think about macquarie as its very convenient. the only thing im worried about is macq.'s rep and its low uai cut off (86 compared to unsw 93). any thoughts/feedback/comments will be appreciated

thx

shonkay

HSC
I'm aiming for UTS because of the convenience (and the UAI cut-off is lower lol) and Macquarie's my back-up.

I talked to a lot of people who said 'go to UNSW' for the reputation, but I thought you'd need the 'reputation' of ur uni for when u graduate and go find a job, but if you already have a cadetship then ur most likely going to end up working there when you graduate anyway.

turtleface

HSC
shonkay said:
I'm aiming for UTS because of the convenience (and the UAI cut-off is lower lol) and Macquarie's my back-up.

I talked to a lot of people who said 'go to UNSW' for the reputation, but I thought you'd need the 'reputation' of ur uni for when u graduate and go find a job, but if you already have a cadetship then ur most likely going to end up working there when you graduate anyway.
true but you may change jobs in the future, and if you do, you have to pray you don't come across some bigot or elitist employers

shonkay

HSC
turtleface said:
true but you may change jobs in the future, and if you do, you have to pray you don't come across some bigot or elitist employers
lOl very very true haha but wouldn't experience set you out more..since everyone would have a degree in that area?

turtleface

HSC
yeah definately, experience (and connections) probably counts for the most.

I was thinking about this though:
say you are recruiting for a COO job,

You have 1 guy:
10 years experience, graduated from some dodgy online MBA

and the other:
3 years experience, Harvard Business School MBA grad

both have their pro's and cons

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Except turtleface your examples are very extreme :p

I'm not sure where all of this 'more reputable' business comes from, from all of the younger managers/directors/businesspeople I've spoken to many have recommended UTS above UNSW as being a more up to date.

UNSW has the old reputation along with Sydney, but I think thats starting to change slowly (ie. UTS is picking up pace)..

Ultimately, I don't really care and it doesn't bother. I'll manage whichever I choose. For now I'll put both as UAC preferences and decide once I get my offers.

JohnSmithSenior

HSC
uts or unsw wont make much of a difference but uts is closer to the ct and you dont need to catch a 20min bus everyday. So if catching a bus is a prob then go to uts.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone says UTS and UNSW is the same... but when you work with people who are also undergrads who started with you- you can see the difference.

... but once you've done your basic training and so on, it doesn't really matter.

I personally picked UNSW, but there seems to be a pretty even split between UNSW and UTS for cadets. One is more convenient, the other offers a more uni-like lifestyle...

As a tip, try going to both the respective campuses and see which one fits in with you more.

I remember when I couldn't decide between UNSW and UTS... but somehow, the social life (even my mates want to transfer from UTS to UNSW), the atmosphere, my friends, my family (also went there), etc... pulled me in. The only thing I regret is I have to actually make use of my 4 hours of leave per week- as opposed to some UTS people who use it to play pool.

Regardless of that though, I think you'll be satisfied with the teaching/course at both courses. I can probably find some emails from cadets in my firm who I consulted prior to picking a uni with regards to what they thought of it and the practicality/viability of doing cadetship... PM me your email address and I'll forward them onto you if it helps.

jon0_o

HSC
well im not 1st yr but I'm taking a cadetship next yr (90%sure anyway) and I'm goint to UNSW. I never really considered going to UTS unless there was something there which wasn't at USYD or UNSW i.e. BAcc scholarship (but i didn't get it), but that's just because most of my friends and people from my school go there. In terms of the 2 yrs pt/time uni its probably the same, definitely more convenient at UTS. But for me I'm think of the 2 yrs full time uni which I think I would enjoy a lot more at UNSW.

But if you decide on UNSW I'll see you there :)

jon0_o

HSC
yeah but they still have full time uni, i mean they would work on the days they're not at uni rite??? they can't have full time uni and full time work at the same time

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
If your working at a good firm, you have a good work social life, so there is no need for a uni social life :p

jon0_o

HSC
i don't think work social life can even come close to uni social life. i know i havent' been to either but from what i've heard and what i expect, no comparison .. but i guess it depends what your looking for. Firms don't have thousands of clubs and extra-curricula activites even if they do have a social club

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
jon0_o said:
i don't think work social life can even come close to uni social life. i know i havent' been to either but from what i've heard and what i expect, no comparison .. but i guess it depends what your looking for. Firms don't have thousands of clubs and extra-curricula activites even if they do have a social club
True that.

For me, I didn't really enjoy full time uni life much. It wasn't that exciting. The clubs I joined were okay but ultimately, alot of the time I felt rather unproductive. It all comes down to the individual.

turtleface

HSC
if you're hanging out with the much better chicks at some of the firms, who cares about uni clubs and crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)