Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Yeah thats what I was thinking! But because the bachelor of accounting finishes after 3 years (including the 1 year work experience) I could get an extra 2 years of full-time work in, in the same time it would take me to do the 5 year UBS cadetship which would end up amounting to more money as well plus i wouldnt have to do uni and work at the same time!

I am really unsure! hahaha
which area at UBS, they work towards different work experience. So try and think what you would rather do in the future, I would say the BaCC is more versatile though.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Different fields though, i assume UBS would be more finance biased compared to UTS which is solely accounting based for the scholarship. Decide what you want to do, finance or accounting and make your decision accordingly.

I'm not saying you can't do finance with the UTS scholarship, but just that when you have both options available you'd be crazy to go for the one in the area which you don't like as much.

Jinks

HSC
Different fields though, i assume UBS would be more finance biased compared to UTS which is solely accounting based for the scholarship. Decide what you want to do, finance or accounting and make your decision accordingly.

I'm not saying you can't do finance with the UTS scholarship, but just that when you have both options available you'd be crazy to go for the one in the area which you don't like as much.
This. It's going to come down to the different areas and what you want to do more.

Grublet

HSC
N/A
Thats the thing! I have an offer with the operations department so I don't really know how relevant that will be with finance.

I like finance and accounting equally! But I'm just worried that with ubs i may not get much finance exeprience because im in operations

scradimus

HSC
H guys, I was just wondering if there are any cadetships applications still available?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say that most of the bigger firms have finished their cadetship applications currently. Wouldn't be smart to target current HSC students as most of them would (well, should) be studying hard right now!

Smaller firms usually hire when there is a vacancy as opposed to just once a year so if you look on sites like Seek you might find a few. For example I just searched now and found http://www.seek.com.au/job/25206608 but it appears to be for people like me who are already at uni, rather than school leavers.

Also, once the HSC is over and results are released a few spots usually start to appear again as some people do better/worse than expected and pursue other things. That is how not only I, but a few of my friends at my old firm came to our jobs :D

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I just realised,if you're starting your cadetship as part-time study for the first 2 years(and then switch back),do you apply for part-time or full-time degree? I'm guessing full-time and then it will be switched when you tell the university you're doing a cadetship? Just want to make sure haha

omni16

HSC
Can you apply for cadetships during first year uni if it's too late now? I was interested in one for electrical engineering.

kenewen

HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could gain a cadetship if you weren't a high school leaver? I know with EY, you can apply during your first year. Are there any others like that?
This is because I'm going to drop medicine after the first year because I realised it really wasnt my thing. I'm interested in actuarial studies and accounting because my best area would be Maths and I have an interest in Economics but would there be any cadetships that catered to an actl degree? Would it be possible with an actl degree with a major in accounting?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could gain a cadetship if you weren't a high school leaver? I know with EY, you can apply during your first year. Are there any others like that?
This is because I'm going to drop medicine after the first year because I realised it really wasnt my thing. I'm interested in actuarial studies and accounting because my best area would be Maths and I have an interest in Economics but would there be any cadetships that catered to an actl degree? Would it be possible with an actl degree with a major in accounting?
No, you need to be doing an accounting or IT major.

Most cadetships in the business sector are accounting. Having one in actl and economics would be very rare.

kenewen

HSC
No, you need to be doing an accounting or IT major.

Most cadetships in the business sector are accounting. Having one in actl and economics would be very rare.
so you couldn't get an accounting cadetship if you did actl with an accounting major?

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC
so you couldn't get an accounting cadetship if you did actl with an accounting major?
It would depend on the degree in terms of availability for part time study, and if it meets the requirements for you to be CA eligible upon graduation, most accounting majors would be (assuming you can still do the required law-units) but you would be best to contact the faculty and talk about professional certification upon graduation.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
So, now we've had ATARs and HSC results, were will all you cadets be studying next year? :)

Reliability

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do this even though you've started uni already?
Anyone recommend any marketing cadetships pls?

RishBonjour

HSC
Hey guys,
Why not go for an internship rather than a cadetship? That way you can see if accounting is really for you (and study full time keeping your options open?). If you major in accounting, you should be fine. They don't really give that much preference to what degree you have. Some people have science/ engineering degrees working at EY advisory/tax/ - assurance would be fine with your major as well. You pick up the necessary accounting training on the job from what I was told.

Also, if you're best area is maths, why not try finance? Accounting has minimal maths involved (I still like it). You could do Actuary/finance - can't imagine many other attractive/competitive combos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)