Cadetships 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Examine

same
HSC
There is no harm in applying, if they didn't like you in the interview stage at all they might not progress your application this time around however, if perhaps you performed well but there was just that one person who did a bit better then you should be fine!

Although I do suppose they could ask in the interview why you think you might not have progressed last year.
During the rejection call the HR person told me that I should apply again XD (though I'm not sure if she was just trying to be friendly or s/t)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Every once and while the thought of applying at a big 4 firm appears in my mind but I have to toss up the prospect of being on a contract compared to my permanent position at this smaller firm.

:(

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
hey, did any of u cadets do the financial services course at TAFE while u were in year 11&12? if so, is it similar to what u r doing right now and is the knowledge gained from doing it helpful? does doing this course give u any advantage when applying for cadetships?
Hey match I did financial services last year. No unfortunately it's not really similar to what I'm doing now. The accounting part of financial services is basic (bookkeeping) theory of accounting, its like the first semester of university. The knowledge gained does kind of help smooth the transition into work which does call upon the theory you would learn in financial services, in fact the theory goes all the way through in your accounting career(audit/tax), but the work itself is quite different.
I wouldn't call it an advantage, but it does help you better justify your reason for going into accounting and some of the things you've learnt can help impress the interviewer during the interview (if you ever get into the topic of accounting). Having it on your resume doesn't hurt either and if you can find decent work experience for the 70 hours needed in the course, then all the better.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Sorry to bother everyone. But does knowing a cadet give me some advantage for a vacationers spot? Cause it turns out 1 of my new uni mates is a cadet a PwC :L
Na it doesn't really help that much, cadets don't really have much influence in the scheme of things. You're practically going to be assessed the same way, the best thing to do is get tips from your uni mate about firm culture,clients etc...things which can help during the interview, and give an edge.

The monetary benefits should only be for experienced hires, not grads and cadets.

gahyunkk

HSC
Hey guys i have some questions about accounting cafetships:)

1. Is ICAA info evening same thing as the one held by CPA?

2. if i got a cadets for a company in sydney (i live in sydney) but later on accpected by melbourne uni or somewhere not in sydney, what's gonna happen?

3. Im not sure if i will do b.of accounting or actuarials. Atm im doing accouting course at tafe but is it still ok if i do B.actuarials while this cadetships?

Chronost

HSC
Hey guys i have some questions about accounting cafetships:)

1. Is ICAA info evening same thing as the one held by CPA?

2. if i got a cadets for a company in sydney (i live in sydney) but later on accpected by melbourne uni or somewhere not in sydney, what's gonna happen?

3. Im not sure if i will do b.of accounting or actuarials. Atm im doing accouting course at tafe but is it still ok if i do B.actuarials while this cadetships?
1. ICAA is the official cadetship info evening. Which one would be the one held by CPA?

2. Depending on the firm, if they allow for an extra cadet spot you might go through the application process and straight to the interviews(where you do with the manager/partner at the melb office),on rare occasions you can transfer straight up but usually you're meant to work at the firm for some time. In another case you will have to reapply for the whole thing. If your intention is to study in Melbourne I suggest you apply for the melbourne office and they might be able to get the sydney office to interview you,the cadetship usually states that you intend to study in Sydney whilst working in Sydney, so...try and get your uni preferences in order. I would also mention the intention you have to study in Melbourne during the interview if you get to it (for Sydney office),that way they can figure out if it's still possible in the circumstance you go to Melb(or they tell you that you have to stay in Sydney). Either way they will answer you.

3. Yes you can do B.acturials as long as your second major will be accounting. Note though B.actuarials is a pretty full on degree as I've heard, so with a cadetship it might be tough to balance study (compared to a commerce degree where the subjects are a bit easier to study/manage). Btw the only B.accounting degree out of the major unis is from UTS,but that's a co-op program, you're thinking B.Commerce with an accounting major.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Cadets at some big4 firms can recommend a friend and actually receive monetary reward if you're through. After one whole year at Macquarie you just met one cadet?
Doubt you'd get much (if anything) at most firms for referring an intern or graduate. Typically the incentives/rewards are for experienced hires/laterals.

Anyway, in all honesty, apart from getting invited to a "refer a friend" type function and getting an extra session to interact with HR, I don't think it'll make a material difference.

gahyunkk

HSC
1. ICAA is the official cadetship info evening. Which one would be the one held by CPA?

2. Depending on the firm, if they allow for an extra cadet spot you might go through the application process and straight to the interviews(where you do with the manager/partner at the melb office),on rare occasions you can transfer straight up but usually you're meant to work at the firm for some time. In another case you will have to reapply for the whole thing. If your intention is to study in Melbourne I suggest you apply for the melbourne office and they might be able to get the sydney office to interview you,the cadetship usually states that you intend to study in Sydney whilst working in Sydney, so...try and get your uni preferences in order. I would also mention the intention you have to study in Melbourne during the interview if you get to it (for Sydney office),that way they can figure out if it's still possible in the circumstance you go to Melb(or they tell you that you have to stay in Sydney). Either way they will answer you.

3. Yes you can do B.acturials as long as your second major will be accounting. Note though B.actuarials is a pretty full on degree as I've heard, so with a cadetship it might be tough to balance study (compared to a commerce degree where the subjects are a bit easier to study/manage). Btw the only B.accounting degree out of the major unis is from UTS,but that's a co-op program, you're thinking B.Commerce with an accounting major.
Thanks chronost i remember asking u about cadetships and accounting tafe last year :)

Oh yes i meant b.com with an accounting major:) i cant really decide between accounting and actuarials atm..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks chronost i remember asking u about cadetships and accounting tafe last year :)

Oh yes i meant b.com with an accounting major:) i cant really decide between accounting and actuarials atm..
Such different fields. One is very quant focussed (actuarial) and is hardcore numbers/maths, and the other is much more qualitative (accounting) in terms of understanding and applying rules.

nicko101

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am a Year 12 student in Adelaide. I was looking forward to applying for a trainee position at PwC in Adelaide as advertised on the website (http://www.pwc.com.au/careers/student/application-dates/index.htm#trainee). However, when I went to apply I soon discovered that there was no trainee program run in Adelaide, and I rang up the PwC Adelaide office and the lady there put me onto a HR lady who wasn't at her desk, so I had to leave a message (to which she still hasn't responded to). This was on Monday. I was really looking forward to applying and am really interested in PwC as a firm. I want to talk to the HR lady about how keen I am and someone hopefully get her to say "Oh, send me your resume and I'll see what I can do." What is the best way of doing this, and do you think this is possible or not? Have you heard of anyone that has talked to a HR person on the phone who has then said "send me your resume" or something like that. It sucks because there are no firms that offer a cadetship in Adelaide, and I thought that PwC was the only firm that offered the cadetship, which I found out wasn't the case on Monday. It is pretty disappointing that a massive firm actually advertises the program...but then doesn't offer it. Just wanted a bit of feedback on my situation.

Also, moving cities isn't an option for me unfortunately :(

gahyunkk

HSC
i finished reading last year thread and searched some other companies' websites but is cadetship only available for ppl who have PR or citizenship?
It has been my dream path since i started accounting at TAFE in yr11 and knew about the cadetship..
But i didnt really go through all the websites at that time and now i realised that i cant even apply for it (plz tell me if there's some companies where accept international student's application)
So i thought about applying for B.commerce co-op program in unsw but that requires permenant residence as well...

I was actually considering between accounting & actuarial studies but i dont think i'll go for accounting if i cant even have a chance to apply for a cadetship:(.. Maybe i should change my path to actuarials studies.. (or doing it as a double degree with accounting)

Chronost

HSC
i finished reading last year thread and searched some other companies' websites but is cadetship only available for ppl who have PR or citizenship?
It has been my dream path since i started accounting at TAFE in yr11 and knew about the cadetship..
But i didnt really go through all the websites at that time and now i realised that i cant even apply for it (plz tell me if there's some companies where accept international student's application)
So i thought about applying for B.commerce co-op program in unsw but that requires permenant residence as well...

I was actually considering between accounting & actuarial studies but i dont think i'll go for accounting if i cant even have a chance to apply for a cadetship:(.. Maybe i should change my path to actuarials studies.. (or doing it as a double degree with accounting)
Hi Gahyunkk! Unfortunately almost all(if not all) firms require a PR or citizenship to apply for a cadetship. I know someone who's doing a program similar to a cadetship on a NZ citizenship, but that might be an exception. Try and see if any of the smaller firms might give you a shot, otherwise it's tough luck :/. Things like Co-ops/scholarships usually all at least require PR status, so aim to get it whenever you can(also will help alot during your internship/grad hunting).

Don't let not being able to get a cadetship defer you from accounting, it's only one pathway into an accounting career, and honestly as long as you do decently in university you'll be able to score an internship with any major accounting firm and you'll be well on the way to securing a grad role. You still seem a little conflicted about whether to choose accounting or actuarial(or both), so maybe not doing a cadetship is a better choice anyway since it doesn't lock you into accounting straight away and you'll be able to figure out during university which pathway you intend to go into.

gahyunkk

HSC
Hi Gahyunkk! Unfortunately almost all(if not all) firms require a PR or citizenship to apply for a cadetship. I know someone who's doing a program similar to a cadetship on a NZ citizenship, but that might be an exception. Try and see if any of the smaller firms might give you a shot, otherwise it's tough luck :/. Things like Co-ops/scholarships usually all at least require PR status, so aim to get it whenever you can(also will help alot during your internship/grad hunting).

Don't let not being able to get a cadetship defer you from accounting, it's only one pathway into an accounting career, and honestly as long as you do decently in university you'll be able to score an internship with any major accounting firm and you'll be well on the way to securing a grad role. You still seem a little conflicted about whether to choose accounting or actuarial(or both), so maybe not doing a cadetship is a better choice anyway since it doesn't lock you into accounting straight away and you'll be able to figure out during university which pathway you intend to go into.
Thank you chronost every time :) x
Yea i think i'll do double majors in uni and see what i prefer.
When i was only thinking of doing accounting i wanted to go to USYD, but since they dont have b. actuarial i have to change my goal to UNSW :p hogwarts buildings are gone lol

As you said it's quite hard to balance cadetship works and actuarial studies, so maybe it'll be better to focus on studying and seek for any chance of internship or some program related to actuary..

gahyunkk

HSC
Oh btw ive already registered the info evening thingy on May but should i go? or not ? :0

Chronost

HSC
Thank you chronost every time :) x
Yea i think i'll do double majors in uni and see what i prefer.
When i was only thinking of doing accounting i wanted to go to USYD, but since they dont have b. actuarial i have to change my goal to UNSW :p hogwarts buildings are gone lol

As you said it's quite hard to balance cadetship works and actuarial studies, so maybe it'll be better to focus on studying and seek for any chance of internship or some program related to actuary..
Just helping out :T
UNSW is just as good if not better at commerce,but the difference is negligible,so either University is good. Well instead of the hogwarts buildings you get a nice lump of stairs everywhere for you to excercise hahaha.UNSW campus is pretty good looking too.(bit more modern i guess)

Yeah I would think it'll be really hard tbh. Actuary itself is quite competitive, but you'll definitely have a good chance to land a job with the skills learned in the commerce sector(accounting won't be too hard to land a job in)

Oh btw ive already registered the info evening thingy on May but should i go? or not ? :0
Yes you should definitely go,it's a really good chance to meet employers and ask any potential questions you may have, plus they give out good information about the program itself and usually an experience or two from a current cadet (although you can also ask that during the meet and greet session). I may also be there, maybe, haha.

Seremify might also be there.(not sure though, busy life for him :p)

gahyunkk

HSC
Just helping out :T
UNSW is just as good if not better at commerce,but the difference is negligible,so either University is good. Well instead of the hogwarts buildings you get a nice lump of stairs everywhere for you to excercise hahaha.UNSW campus is pretty good looking too.(bit more modern i guess)

Yeah I would think it'll be really hard tbh. Actuary itself is quite competitive, but you'll definitely have a good chance to land a job with the skills learned in the commerce sector(accounting won't be too hard to land a job in)

Yes you should definitely go,it's a really good chance to meet employers and ask any potential questions you may have, plus they give out good information about the program itself and usually an experience or two from a current cadet (although you can also ask that during the meet and greet session). I may also be there, maybe, haha.

Seremify might also be there.(not sure though, busy life for him :p)
Haha yea i'll go then :)
What do u think i should bring along? I know i wont be applying for cadetship but still it's better to bring my resume and stuffs..?
Havent actually tried to write one yet thou :p

Chronost

HSC
Haha yea i'll go then :)
What do u think i should bring along? I know i wont be applying for cadetship but still it's better to bring my resume and stuffs..?
Havent actually tried to write one yet thou :p
The only thing you might need is pen and paper to write anything important down. Also good to bring a long line of questions written up because you're more then likely to forget to ask one or two questions that have appeared on your mind at a time. Otherwise you can just talk and stick everything into your head. Don't bother bringing your resume with you, this is just a friendly chat with representatives from accounting firms ranging from big 4 to small mid-tiers. That being said, some of the mid-tiers have a little list with them, and if they think you impressed them with your chat they put you down on the list where the HR will more likely put you through the next round when applying with them.Note it'll only HELP get you through the next round (e.g. HR knows you left a good impression) however if you still write poor answers and make mistakes, don't be suprised to not get in, but that'll be a better discussion once firms start handing out interviews.

So yeah all in all, paper and pen. Dressing business attire can also help surprise people and leave a good impression, however the majority of people come in school uniform so don't worry (i was one of the few in a suit when i went).
Also try and have good questions to ask, not just generic questions which could probably be found researching their website, don't be afraid to ask more individual questions like "what do you do on an average as an auditor" (even though there is no real average day for them, and suss out what division they work in quickly so you can cater your answers more along their division) << to add to that researching a bit about each division in public accounting can help a long way with questions

Last edited:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it common for high school leavers to get cadetships with either UBS or an accounting firm while doing actuarial studies in first year?

Chronost

HSC
Is it common for high school leavers to get cadetships with either UBS or an accounting firm while doing actuarial studies in first year?
Simple answer, no.Have yet to meet a person doing actuarial studies with a cadetship,but then again I definitely haven't met as many cadets as someone like say Seremify who I'm sure has met someone like that. Either way it's very uncommon as both require a considerable amount of time-related effort,and doing both wouldn't be the best mix,it's usually one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)