Cadetships 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Imo cadetships aren't very well advertised, and I don't think a lot of people are willing to commit to a full time job/degree so soon before you've even done your HSC.

It's far more competitive once you reach internship and graduate stages, without a doubt. We had a speaker from Deloitte once and he said for their graduate program (several years ago now), they took on about 70 grads, about 60 of whom had done internships with them. For the remaining 10 roles, they had over 7000 applicants.

So you know, if there's 100 cadetships across all sized firms, and 800 students are applying, that's much better odds :p

Kolmias

HSC
Imo cadetships aren't very well advertised, and I don't think a lot of people are willing to commit to a full time job/degree so soon before you've even done your HSC.

It's far more competitive once you reach internship and graduate stages, without a doubt. We had a speaker from Deloitte once and he said for their graduate program (several years ago now), they took on about 70 grads, about 60 of whom had done internships with them. For the remaining 10 roles, they had over 7000 applicants.

So you know, if there's 100 cadetships across all sized firms, and 800 students are applying, that's much better odds :p
Probably the people applying to cadetships are of a higher callibre tho on average which is what I'm worried about....

si2136

HSC
N/A
Probably the people applying to cadetships are of a higher callibre tho on average which is what I'm worried about....
Not really. The thing is, you have nothing to lose if you apply. So just apply to all that you wouldn't mind doing, but even apply to the ones which you aren't interested in for the interview experience. Having experienced a 1 on 1 interview and phone interview helps set me up for future interviews, making you more confident and fluent in the way you converse with people.

Kolmias

HSC
Any ideas from anyone on what I can do to make myself a good candidate for when I apply next year?

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Incorrect. EY takes less than that, and UBS takes more (equities, operations, AM etc).

Anonman1553

HSC
N/A
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 12.37.46.png

for pitcher partners, do i email the HR lady for a copy of the application form, ooorr is the application form simply the one that pops up when clicking on the "apply now" button? sorry, and thanks.

Anonman1553

HSC
N/A
Also...
this is Boroughs' application form for cadets: http://www.boroughs.net.au/traineeships.html
As I'm operating on an apple device and don't own Microsoft Word I cannot open this document without it becoming disfigured. I assume the deadline for the application is stated on there -- if so, could someone please tell me what it is. Many thanks.

uppitymantis

HSC
Also...
this is Boroughs' application form for cadets: http://www.boroughs.net.au/traineeships.html
As I'm operating on an apple device and don't own Microsoft Word I cannot open this document without it becoming disfigured. I assume the deadline for the application is stated on there -- if so, could someone please tell me what it is. Many thanks.
30th of June

aidan059

HSC
anyone who applied for hlb and didn't get an offer, don't let your hopes get down, 3 people were offered and I will be turning it down soon, so they may end up calling someone else to fill the position

uppitymantis

HSC
anyone who applied for hlb and didn't get an offer, don't let your hopes get down, 3 people were offered and I will be turning it down soon, so they may end up calling someone else to fill the position
What were your marks at school like and what extra-curricula activities do you do? I want to know if I am even in the same league.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
You can remove KPMG, Deloitte and PwC from that list, they don't like high-schoolers anymore :(

You've missed plenty, opportunities are literally infinite, I can provide you with nearly everyone I've applied to/know that have Cadetships for this year, I'm not sure about next year though. Side note: I don't recommend Boroughs the slightest bit, the most boring people and old-school you'll ever meet.
Did you meet the cadets? i think there's two cadets (maybe one now) there that are fairly active here :p

That 30 quote for EY is abit big(as mentioned by someone else), I think it was more relevant back in my year and maybe the year before mine when all the big 4 were doing cadetships and it was a pretty big thing, i remember my year, EY took around maybe 20 altogether?

Most of the big 4 scaled these back to first year university students i reckon because a lot people usually are very 50/50 on which degree/path to take.

E.g someone gets a Cadetship in June/July for example and accepts it, they do their HSC exams etc... then nearing November/December or when they get their HSC marks for example they really start to think about their degree, a lot of people might get like 99.65 or whatever which allows them to do law that they wanted to do(this is one of the more common situations of why people leave), so now for example, the person either risks resigning to do law, they do law anyway and hide the fact they're doing it by only doing commerce units and then quitting, or they do Commerce cause of Cadetship pressure, and then realise 1-2 years later they really should've done law, so they quit and pick up law as a degree.( you can switch law for any other degree in the context)

I can tell you other situations which happened every year, and i think its usually just easier for them to recruit first year cause they have people applying who already decided on a Commerce degree, so they have proved that little bit of extra dedication for example, and the fact that these firms have connections with societies, it makes it easier for them to advertise to a wide audience and get more candidates that don't usually think of things like this during HSC (where focus is on study more then anything).

That's just my take on it.

I should mention even though I said all the above, most cadets will actually stay for a decent amount of time honestly, its only a few who would do something like the above, but it does happen and it does add to the bottom line expenses in the end for training etc.., it takes some time for the firm to actually get a positive return on cadets being hired, so the more risk they can eliminate with hires going rogue the better for them I guess.

UBS one sounds about right actually, they did a major intake in 2014 and 2015(took like 12-14~ around then), but scaled back the 2016 applications, not sure about 2017 yet, haven't spoken to my bud yet.

Major Mid-tiers will have a decent amount of applicants actually, BDO, GT etc.. would have around maybe 300-400 applicants still, whilst the much smaller mid-tiers or ones that don't advertise would have around 100 as mentioned, so that sounds about right.

john3166

HSC
just got an email from EY about making the next stage. Anybody else?

aidan059

HSC
What were your marks at school like and what extra-curricula activities do you do? I want to know if I am even in the same league.
Honestly, don't think they really cared about marks that much, as long as you're average in your cohort they look at you. Extra curriculars is definitely where its at, plus something that stands out for me is that I lived in China by myself when I was 15 to study there, always brought up in an interview and very easy to talk about and demonstrate skills from. I think the main thing is that you're involved and have something to show why you're interested eg does economics, attended chartered accountants event and show specifically why that firm, eg mid tier>big4 is something I brought up when I had interviews for mid tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)