Cadetships 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan059

HSC
guys I need help. I got offered a cadetship with a good mid-tier (top 20) and I'm not sure whether to take it or not. I've applied to UBS, EY and a few other ones that would be better in terms of size. However I do like this firm but I'm not sure of the opportunities of working in a mid tier. Ideally my number one preference would be UBS. Second EY and third this firm. I'm so confused especially considering they're offering so early in the year and want me to start in January. EY haven't even closed applications yet and UBS haven't offered interviews. I'm not sure whether to risk it or not or settle with a mid tier. Any advice would be appreciated.

si2136

HSC
N/A
guys I need help. I got offered a cadetship with a good mid-tier (top 20) and I'm not sure whether to take it or not. I've applied to UBS, EY and a few other ones that would be better in terms of size. However I do like this firm but I'm not sure of the opportunities of working in a mid tier. Ideally my number one preference would be UBS. Second EY and third this firm. I'm so confused especially considering they're offering so early in the year and want me to start in January. EY haven't even closed applications yet and UBS haven't offered interviews. I'm not sure whether to risk it or not or settle with a mid tier. Any advice would be appreciated.
Well you have to ask yourself, why would you want to work for UBS over the mid tier? Why business cadetship over accounting? What is your goal that you are trying to reach? Why is a big 4 your goal over the mid tier firm? Are you going to risk it or not?

In the end, it's your choice.

aidan059

HSC
And also I'm just not sure if it would be bad to say change my mind and say no after saying yes to this offer, or even deciding in 1st or 2nd year that I want to leave

si2136

HSC
N/A
And also I'm just not sure if it would be bad to say change my mind and say no after saying yes to this offer, or even deciding in 1st or 2nd year that I want to leave
It's alright if you leave. But not really when you change your mind after accepting it. You can get blacklisted and possibly from other firms too.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Did you ask if you can hold of deciding till u get the outcomes of other companies? Granted it may not look good but it's always good to ask. And if there's a time where it expires it's really upto u. U can accept the mid tier offer then resign without starting of u get a better offer too can't u? My mate at Deloitte said people do that.

aidan059

HSC
1. I feel bad because she's personally put in so much effort for me, got managers and partners to meet with me, showed me around the office etc. She's even having a meeting with the directors to I guess "pitch" me, and confirm my role if I was to accept. EY applications don't even close till the 15 June which is a little less than a month away, with offers all the way in July. I doubt they'd hold it that long and likewise with UBS, haven't even commenced interviews yet. Yes I would like to preferably work in EY or UBS but is it worth risking a guaranteed job for that? I'm not sure...

crazy_paki123

HSC
Accept then resign if you get a better job offer. I know it's hard to day no to them especially after they be so nice but at the end of the day the corporate world is pretty cut throat and you should do what's best for u, it's not about making people at a company u don't want to work at long term happy. Just my advice from my experiences.

Anonman1553

HSC
N/A
What is required in applying for EY? Do I need a reference from Careers or Principal etc? How many words would I need to type up? Cheers.

Aidan if I were in your position I'd find out the latest date that you can respond by, by saying something along the lines of "I would like to consider this opportunity with my friends and family for as long as possible so as to ensure I make the right choice in joining your firm..." Don't word it as if you're waiting on EY and UBS outcomes (as I'm sure you already know). For all you know they might allow another month for you to consider.

aidan059

HSC
For starters, the HR manager has my number so she would call me and I'd have to tell her upfront. Secondly, EY assessment centres are usually in about July so I'd have to ask for possibly 2 months leverage. By then they could of decided they don't want me anymore and then I'm left with nothing. There's possibilities to work in a larger/more renowned company however not sure if benefits outweigh and if it's worth taking the risk like I previously stated.

crazy_paki123

HSC
What is required in applying for EY? Do I need a reference from Careers or Principal etc? How many words would I need to type up? Cheers.

Aidan if I were in your position I'd find out the latest date that you can respond by, by saying something along the lines of "I would like to consider this opportunity with my friends and family for as long as possible so as to ensure I make the right choice in joining your firm..." Don't word it as if you're waiting on EY and UBS outcomes (as I'm sure you already know). For all you know they might allow another month for you to consider.
Tbh I personally think for EY you need a lot of luck because the recruitment process is so short and quick here. Tips are obviously to update and set out your resume well. Do the tests as soon as possible. This year the 2nd test was a lot harder than previous years tests but that's good it gives u greater opportunity to stand out from the pack. Then sit tight after tests cause that's where the wait usually starts as they screen ur test results, application and resume to see who to invite to the AC.
You don't have to if u have referees from other places but yeah an academic referee would be great too. They'd prob be asked to describe how u were in class and ur qualities and behaviour etc but I don't think they ring referees anyway.
For the words for each question. You do NOT have to try to get to the limit. Sounds simple but many people just ramble on I'm order to fill the word limit. Go in to detail into your answers but keep it succint. So just talk about the important parts that answer the questions and try to avoid rambling on because remember HR are coming off a busy grad/vac season and now have to review hundreds of cadet apps too!
Hope I helped and good luck!

si2136

HSC
N/A
DON'T do what I did: Accept a phone interview out of the blue while I was busy and cancel the interview midway. Called them back and now I'm waiting for the call again. Looks like I won't get it

At least it was a mid tier accounting, but I've gained phone interview skills, which I previous haven't, and lucky it wasn't one of the top 2 cadetships I was gunning for :)

aidan059

HSC
Yeah I got called for an interview at HLB Mann Judd for next monday and they want me to do an assessment :O

crazy_paki123

HSC
HLB's assessments are easy but there's a lot of questions so be sure to go through them quickly yet correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)