Cadetships 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolmias

HSC
As a Year 11 student and someone who wants to apply for cadetships next year, what kind of background and experience would hold you in high regard?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
As a Year 11 student and someone who wants to apply for cadetships next year, what kind of background and experience would hold you in high regard?
As a high school student, they aren't expecting you to have a lot on your resume. Being involved with things like fund raising/charity events, Duke of Ed, SRC, band/music/language skills, sports teams etc., give you things to talk about and show you're a team person. Good grades (Not failing or struggling to much with classes) are always favourable. If you've got a job then of course that is nice to see too.

You basically want to be able to show you have a good attitude, your willing to learn and participate and are going to fit into a team. Having just really high marks in all your subjects is fine, but it doesn't show much about you as a person except that you can study constantly.

Kolmias

HSC
As a high school student, they aren't expecting you to have a lot on your resume. Being involved with things like fund raising/charity events, Duke of Ed, SRC, band/music/language skills, sports teams etc., give you things to talk about and show you're a team person. Good grades (Not failing or struggling to much with classes) are always favourable. If you've got a job then of course that is nice to see too.

You basically want to be able to show you have a good attitude, your willing to learn and participate and are going to fit into a team. Having just really high marks in all your subjects is fine, but it doesn't show much about you as a person except that you can study constantly.
- Going decent with my subs but it's only Year 11
- Student Leader
- Been on the Mock Trial team for the past 2 years and debating since Year 7
- Likely to become Prefect (going for Captain/Vice Captain, probs won't get Captain as this one guy looks like he's already been earmarked for it, but Vice Captain looks like a real possibility)
- Best centre forward in the U18's C's soccer. Two goals a season mate. :p (lel, I'm shocking but it's team sport tho).
- Member of Social Justice and Academia portfolios (student groups)
- Went to Walgett as part of school for a week, immersion trip where we helped out at school.
- Did have a job in a shitty local pizza shop but I quit two months ago after five months working there as it was inflexible, the bosses were abusive and I didn't have any time on the weekend to do anything but work (it was like 5-11 every Friday, 10am-6 Saturday sometimes even to 10pm, Sunday 10-6) so I was pretty much burnt out. Would not having a job now make me look like a bad candidate?

Would that be good if I did more for next year?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
- Going decent with my subs but it's only Year 11
- Student Leader
- Been on the Mock Trial team for the past 2 years and debating since Year 7
- Likely to become Prefect (going for Captain/Vice Captain, probs won't get Captain as this one guy looks like he's already been earmarked for it, but Vice Captain looks like a real possibility)
- Best centre forward in the U18's C's soccer. Two goals a season mate. :p (lel, I'm shocking but it's team sport tho).
- Member of Social Justice and Academia portfolios (student groups)
- Went to Walgett as part of school for a week, immersion trip where we helped out at school.
- Did have a job in a shitty local pizza shop but I quit two months ago after five months working there as it was inflexible, the bosses were abusive and I didn't have any time on the weekend to do anything but work (it was like 5-11 every Friday, 10am-6 Saturday sometimes even to 10pm, Sunday 10-6) so I was pretty much burnt out. Would not having a job now make me look like a bad candidate?

Would that be good if I did more for next year?
Overall you seem very rounded. A nice mix of activities and topics you can talk about.

I wouldn't worry about not having a job. If asked why not, just say you wanted to focus on school and your current extra circular stuff now your in year 12.

The only thing I could suggest if you really, really wanted to add something (IMO, you don't need to) is some volunteer work. Even if it's just one or two small things (ie. Red Shield Appeal or selling Legacy pins on Remembrance Day), they look nice on a resume too.

Kolmias

HSC
Overall you seem very rounded. A nice mix of activities and topics you can talk about.

I wouldn't worry about not having a job. If asked why not, just say you wanted to focus on school and your current extra circular stuff now your in year 12.

The only thing I could suggest if you really, really wanted to add something (IMO, you don't need to) is some volunteer work. Even if it's just one or two small things (ie. Red Shield Appeal or selling Legacy pins on Remembrance Day), they look nice on a resume too.
Thanks ilikecats! My school has a massive emphasis on social justice which regularly provides us with volunteering opportunities so that should be easy enough. I'm planning on helping down at the local soup kitchen over the holidays.

Anonman1553

HSC
N/A
Thanks ilikecats! My school has a massive emphasis on social justice which regularly provides us with volunteering opportunities so that should be easy enough. I'm planning on helping down at the local soup kitchen over the holidays.
what kind of cadetship would you be interested in if (i presume by your course aim of education) you're going into teaching?

Kolmias

HSC
what kind of cadetship would you be interested in if (i presume by your course aim of education) you're going into teaching?
Oh, this is for if I want to do a commerce degree. Probably accounting, finance tbh

My potential career choices seem very incompatible lol

si2136

HSC
N/A
You'll be fine, focus on your grades. More than enough already. But make sure you want to do accounting.

Kolmias

HSC
You'll be fine, focus on your grades. More than enough already. But make sure you want to do accounting.
Oi si, what do you reckon about accounting being automated in the future?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Oi si, what do you reckon about accounting being automated in the future?
Answered it previously before. Don't worry about that. Accounting isn't just bookkeeping.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Some people just sign up for cadetships then decline it so that they can say on their resume "Offered a cadetship at ___" which is pretty cruel considering many other people want to get into that role for real.
I haven't seen that on a CV before but if I did it would definitely lead to more questions. Wouldn't impress me in the slightest.

aidan059

HSC
Hey guys,
So I only found out about cadetships for accounting yesterday and want to apply. Do I have a chance of getting into a mid-tier firm? I am going to a school that is ranked in the bottom 500 but I am in the top 10% of my cohort. My predicted atar is 85. I am seeing people on this thread with 99+ atars. I do an assortment of extra-curricular activities such as duke of ed, founded the school economics society, work experience etc. Thanks.
That's fine, honestly they don't focus that much in academics, as long as you have the passion to want to learn and develop a future in the accounting industry and you have something to show for it. Make sure you highlight your key involvement and as you listed above, and good luck. Fyi search around for mid tiers, EY applications are still open however some mid tiers have closed.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Key requirement for an accounting cadetship is being able to get into uni to study the relevant degree and then be eligible for CA. You need to be able to show that you'll get into the right course at one of the recognised unis (or whichever one the respective firm wants you to go to).

uppitymantis

HSC
Thanks,
So Im guessing I should be good for a mid-tier as I will definitely get into accounting at Macquarie. I assume top tier only take people from UNSW and USYD?

Kolmias

HSC
Thanks,
So Im guessing I should be good for a mid-tier as I will definitely get into accounting at Macquarie. I assume top tier only take people from UNSW and USYD?
Are you serious mate? Big 4 accounting isn't IB mate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)