Cadetships! (1 Viewer)

kazzak

HSC
Hey has any one heard anything from Bentley MRI or Walter Turnbull?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Bent = No...

Turnbull = Got a letter within a week saying they didn't have any suitable positions in their Sydney office. Just left me confused whether or not they don't offer cadetships or they were just rejecting me!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
One of my friends is in some building/conveyancing company on a cadetship too- so they do exist in other areas; it's just Accounting seems to offer the most.

c0okies

HSC
yea, i also heard about someone that got a cadetship at macquarie bank

turtleface

HSC
oh yeah theres heaps of cadetship thingys. Local councils and Gov depts. (eg ATO) often do as well.

Its all a bid to get people before they are available to more competitors

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't heard of the Mac Bank one before... is it a public thing or only available to special people (maybe they run a competition *shrugs*)...

... and congrats on MS Sydney West. I remember saying hello to Nicole and Stewart. I also have a friend who works there~

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think there are a few people who did Economics with a major in Accounting- but it comes down to what each individual firm will allow. Also make sure you check CA Pre-reqs.

turtleface

HSC
Its strange nowdays, "BEc" used to be the old "BCom", so most old Accountants have a BEc. I dunno why they have BEc and BCom now...

Monash has a BCom/BEc double, in 4 years. Not bad lol, an extra year of study for a second degree!

bratty46

HSC
hey just wondering if anyone has received any cadetships with camphin boston, ferrier hodgson or pitcher partners? as i have received offerings and am not quite sure which one to choose!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
bratty46 said:
hey just wondering if anyone has received any cadetships with camphin boston, ferrier hodgson or pitcher partners? as i have received offerings and am not quite sure which one to choose!
Do you get put into divisions as cadets?

Also, you are aware that FH is an insolvency and forensic accounting firm, right. That is where you'd end up four years down the track.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
redruM said:
Do you get put into divisions as cadets?

Also, you are aware that FH is an insolvency and forensic accounting firm, right. That is where you'd end up four years down the track.
IIRC Pitcher Partners is proud of their staffing approach whereby people get rotated into multiple divisions so that they learn a bit of everything.

As for Camphin Boston- I know someone who works there; she seems to enjoy it. Not sure if she stayed on or left.

Don't know anyone from FH though. If you're interested in insolvency, then that might be the way to go. However, it's not the only way- after all, insolvency is just audit except you don't believe everything you read :) jkjk.

lDoHl

HSC
I really should have applied for a Cadetship, I would have loved the experience. I wasn't really looking or expecting opportunities such as this to come by so early so naturally I missed it. Does anyone know if they offer positions for 2nd years next year?

turtleface

HSC
Much much more positions are available for second years. The majority of places nowadays are available to 2nd years (penultimate yr for 3 yr degrees), and for an increasing number of firms, if you get in at 2nd year/penultimate year you're in for grad.

Vacation work closes soon though

phrred

HSC
is there a chance of gettin an intern if youre in the 2nd yr of a double degree?

turtleface

HSC
From my experience, only PwC (in melbourne) has. They've taken people in 2nd yr/5.

If you want to get in for anything no matter what year level, you can pay $50 and apply through the CPA Passport program. Thats a bit of a lucky dip though, you can go anywhere from BHP to an Accounting firm, to government, anything

CPA Passport is open to everyone

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't know CPAs got into Big4...

My question is- for people who are 2nd years/3rd years who want a cadetship; why not just apply for vaccy work?

turtleface

HSC
seremify007 said:
allegedly.

lol nah I'm kidding. I don't want to bag CPA Australia's Passport program cause I did this program last year and found it really beneficial, and on the website it says this:

In 2005, organisations such as Toyota, Telstra, Coca Cola and Ernst & Young offered placements.
I think this program is really good, even though it costs $50 (which is nominal, and you most likely get paid anyway). You can potentially get into a company that doesn't usually offer vac work like the above 3 (E&Y usually offers vac work), though it is a lucky dip. Having said that, the good thing is that this lucky dip will always see you get a prize.

There are 2 other types of CPA work experience. The full list is here:
http://www.cpacareers.com.au/passport/workexp/index.asp (click the links for more info)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
Having said that, the good thing is that this lucky dip will always see you get a prize.
LOL a bit off topic but I can think of many reasons why that isn't always such a good thing! :rofl:

phrred

HSC
seremify007 said:

My question is- for people who are 2nd years/3rd years who want a cadetship; why not just apply for vaccy work?
can 2nd/3rd yrs of a 5 yr degree get vacation/interns?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)