CAFS Scaling Thread (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Without causing a fight.. i would like to introduce a thread about scaling. Everyone has different opinions on CAFS in relation to scaling and hopefully people will understand this issue a bit more from this thread.. im in no way a scaling expert this is purely my opinion and if u wish to refute please do so in a mature manner.. not the 'ur a n00b u dont know anything'

all subjects scale differently.. some scale high and some scale low.. many people see cafs as being a low scaler compared to extension subjects and sciences like physics and chemistry.. but why is that? many students choose cafs as a 'bludge' subject and therefore bring the scaling down.. because they arent planning on going to uni and dont need to do well everyone else has to suffer. many students who do extension subjects do well.. as (not sure about other schools) they have been approved by teachers to be taking the course.. which means that only the best at the subject keep it (as with social science subjects they cant really kick you out if you are failing). so cafs has many intelligent and talented students.. but they are being dragged down by the people who dont really care.. while extension subjects have the cream of the crop (kinda like how james ruse has the best students..).
people shouldnt discourage others from doing subjects which 'scale badly', as some people end up choosing all science and maths subjects while they may be more talented at social science subjects.. and end up doing badly and getting a bad uai because they hate the subjects they chose. there isnt much point in picking up a boring subject because it scales well.. its better to do an interesting subject which u can actually achieve a better result in.
at my school i think we all motivate each other to do well.. and many others should be doing the same (hehe remember.. its all about group dynamics and group cohesion ;)). any student studying any subject will get scaled down if they do bad.. or get scaled up if they do well.. so everyone just do your best in all your subjects and good luck :)

AGB

HSC
i think the problem lays in the fact that cafs is seen as an 'easy' subject...so when some deadshit comes along who doesnt care about their hsc, they decide to do cafs, which means that it becomes more difficult for the people who actually wanna do well in the subject to do well..

also, the fact that cafs actually is easier than say physics, chemistry, economics, 4u maths etc etc, it is capped at 90 or 91 (i think??)...like it is much easier to get a band 6 in cafs than it is in one of those subjects i mentioned above...and this further makes it more difficult for people doing cafs to get a top uai...

aditya

HSC
yeh thats all tru, but still 90.8!!! thats way 2 low... and he thing that kills me personaly is the fact that it can be improved, if those "deadshit" people just TRY! fullstop, if they just try , get that 80 percent and raise the course avg to say 30, instead of the seriously bad 20 :| (out of 50), then not only will they experience MUCH better scaling for themselevs, it will also do justice to the people at the top.... i was hoping that hte cap would be something like 94.... 94 would be EXTREMELY good... i feel...

aditya

HSC
dont u think cafs and ecnomics are fairly similiar?

i mean i always find myself relating them, and i think cafs helps my ecnomics, and ecnomics helps my cafs

Ninja

hey guys.... i did cafs last yr for my hsc..... i went thru the whole year thinking it would bring me down in my uai but the opposite actually happened.... cafs will only bring u down if u do badly... and fortunately with cafs it is really easy to do well... make sure u aim high to get good marks cos it can be done!! at my school about 4 of us actually liked the subject and we all got above 85 the rest of the class got below 40... so just goes to show.. the 4 of us got outstanding uais... mostly because we did really well in lower scaling subjects. plz work hard cos it is quite easy to do well in cafs and bring up ur uai... good luck to u all!!

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Ninja
the 4 of us got outstanding uais...
what do you call an outstanding uai tho??

Last edited:

mishka

HSC
N/A
I have to say I agree totally with cro_angel on this one. I really enjoy CAFS and although there are some people in my class who really don't give a stuff, I'm constantly aiming to get good marks, because I know it can be done.

And as Ninja pointed out, you can still get a good UAI, just so long as you're trying your best and getting the best marks you can. Worrying about the whole thing is just going to make it worse!

Oh, and about the similarities thing, CAFS and Society and Culture have huge overlaps, and they're sort of the same subject, one being community based and the other being globally based. I can see how CAFS and PE would be similar too.

:+)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
I can totally see what your saying cro_angel... This whole scaling system sucks, What i think people fail to see is that each subject is different, has it's easy bits and hard bits. What is easy for one person may be terribly hard for another. Why should a person who is naturally good at social science subjects (like cfs and society and culture), be penalised for being naturally good at those subjects, where someone who is naturally good for science does well.... it all sucks really! ah well.... i'm doing pretty well in it, and from what i can gather, if u do well, it's alright! :)

tomtom

HSC
N/A
i kinda understand ay but my school at batemans bay high is quite smart cept some people who the teacher doesnt like but oh well they just have to handel it

aditya

HSC
its not just ur school mate... theres a whole world outside :eek:

Ninja

what do you call an outstanding uai tho??

well all of us got above 88.......
i got a 94 in cafs and i did heaps of low scaled subjects like standard english hospitality general maths and cafs as well as modern history and biology... i worked really hard on cafs and my uai was 88.35...
all advice i can give u is not to stress.... u will surprse urself when u get ur results! try not to worry about scaling.... as long as u do ur best!!
x0x

ps... cro angel... im croatian too!! :)

aditya

HSC
wow Ninja did u get 94 for cafs... thats heaps good...

could you please tell me wat u did to prepare for ur trials/hsc? cuz i dno how to study for it...

thanks

PS: I consider a high uai > 95, but it all depends on the course u wanna do... and if ur course only requires 80 (engineering) then 85 is fine... but i dunt wanna do engineering so 85 is not fine for me... i want 96!! CMON! haha... anyway *studies*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)