• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

calculations (1 Viewer)

angelicdevil

right about here, griffith, nsw.. but not for long
HSC
hey guys, ive always had trouble in chemistry especially with all the calculations, i seam to get confused in where to put what numbers and what formulas to actually use.. if some one has some handy tips, they would be greatly appreaciated... thanx
angelicdevil

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
- MC [T(final)-T(initial)], write as subscripts, H2O, so that you don't forget what numbers to use.
- Titration calculations, draw a diagram showing what amt of what conc of solution you have where.

There's more.. any in particular?

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
you can draw a triangle, similar to those used in maths for speed, distance, and time, with mass on the top and moles and mm down the bottom.

Always write balanced equations, and refer to equation when working out the number of moles.. it makes it much easier. Eg.H2SO4(aq) + 2NaOH(aq) --> Na2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)

From equation, 1 mole of H2SO4 reacts with 2 moles of NaOH
therefore, 0.01 mole of H2SO4 reacts with 0.02 moles of NaOH

and then from there you can do your calculation

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
hahah. well. I made a list and stuck it up. like acid + base --> salt + water.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
when balancing always start with the metals, e.g. Lead. Then go onto Carbon, then Hydrogen. if u can balance those and the equation is correct, the Oxygen should balance automatically.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
also, i just remembered, when I have to balance equations, I write down under each side what I have of what, for example, H2SO4(aq) + NaOH(aq) --> Na2SO4(aq) + H2O(l)

Here :H2SO4(aq) + NaOH(aq), I have 3 H, 1 (SO4), 1 Na and 1 O

Na2SO4(aq) + H2O(l), I have 2 H, 1 (SO4), 2 Na and 1 O

from that you can work out what you need doubles of, triples of, halves of.. etc. So I need 2 NaOH's and 2 H2O's and there you have a balanced equation.

milo87

hey i do chem and only got 9/100 for my trial, i fucked
neone got ne help at all

danno

i always have trouble on calculations too :(

but i usually make it up on the long answer ones, cause i just write a whole pile of stuff in the hope that some of it is right :)

Paroissien

HSC
Although I think you'll need more than 1 day to study. Just pray you do well in your other subjects

danno

i know. i was referring to your post which was referring to his post.

do you know where i can find a last minute study guide? i have a feeling im not gonna do too well in this exam.............

Paroissien

HSC
You'll just have to beg people as quite a few would have done there own major summaries

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
The shortest time that you can study the entire course in depth is about 1mth.
Goto the Charles Sturt University site and quickly browse through their notes, that might help. But if you want my honest opinion, whatever you dont know now your not going to know tomorrow.

EDIT: Or as Paroissien said, you can leech some notes off the resources page. If you find a post from Timmy he has some good concise revision notes linked in his sig.

Paroissien

HSC
I agree with you to a certain extent. If you are trying to learn something you have never seen before, you've got no chance, but if you are just learning some aspects of a syllabus point you'll be able to know it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)