Calculator Modes (1 Viewer)

bloomers

HSC
this may be like the dumbest question you guys have ever heard, but

im having difficulty knowing which mode my calculator should be in when doing certain questions. like, out of RAD, GRAD and DEG.

i know the basics, like should use DEG when handling degrees but really sometimes i get fucking confused. and therefore i do equations in the wrong mode, resulting in the wrong answer.

is there any definite specific way i should use?

pleeeease help. this isnt good for my blood pressure.

morganforrest

HSC
Just keep it in DEG mode and convert everything else into degrees in ur head.

The only time you would ever need to change mode is when doing a bit of circle/trig work where they give u the angles in radians. Rather than constantly changing to RAD (and hence forgetting to change back) convert the radians into degrees in ur head before using calculator

But if u feel u must change....use RAD when dealing with radians and DEG when dealing with degrees....nfi what the other modes are but u dont need them.

You will get the wrong answer if u try to do trig in the wrong mode though. Be warned!!

samuel slack

HSC
I only use deg and rad. I have no idea what any of the other modes are, and i dont think you need them.

pyrosis

HSC
take 2 calculators in the exam room- 1 in degrees and 1 in radians and that way u dont haveta 4get to change it back 2 degrees after the trig... or convert it all in degrees works 2

bloomers

HSC
thanks so much everyone for your help!
good luck tomorrow!

HSC
I seriously disagree with the people whom say that you should covert everything to degrees. Radians are the simplest thing ever.

More importantly, converting radians to degrees takes time, and it's likely you will have to do it for more than one question in the paper, so you are putting yourself in a disadvantage doing it.

Not to mention the fact that if the question is set in radians, it is expected that you give the answer in radians. I don't know about working out, I suppose it doesn't matter, apart from the fact that it will probably take more time.

The modes are simple. Keep it un degrees, unless you need to work with radians, in which case put it to radians, and after you finish with the question (or any question as a matter of fact), do an all clear.

Two modes, one for radians called RAD and the other for everything else called DEG. Seriously, how hard can it be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)