Calculators - which are the best and what do you use? (1 Viewer)

mel4dan

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of buying myself a new calculator but i honestly dont know which brand/model to get. They all have fancy functions and stuff but really, what model is the best out there that we are allowed to use in the HSC? (keeping in mind i want something that will hopefully enhance my 4 unit results):confused:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
lol, like any calculator is going to enhance your extension 2 marks. I use one of the old Casio calculators, but you can always get yourself the latest version of the Casio calculators, I don't know which one they are up to now. You could also get a graphics calculator, but I don't have one so I really can't tell you what they are like, and the costs might deter you.

P

pLuvia

There's a calculator that has the complex functions on it i.e. i, arg, conjugate etc. But I just use the Casio fx-82tl, a very common calculator. But make sure you buy one that is Board approved

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I don't think there are any board approved calculators that would give you any edge, a simple scientific calculator should be sufficient. I would also suggest you bring 2 calculators into an exam, just in case the battery dies.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Casio fx82 AU, saves a lot of time when entering long expressions with a lot of fractions, powers and roots and such. Couldn't go back to a calculator with a linear display.

mel4dan

Captain Gh3y said:
Casio fx82 AU, saves a lot of time when entering long expressions with a lot of fractions, powers and roots and such. Couldn't go back to a calculator with a linear display.
I was actually thinking of buying the Casio fxAU. it looks good and is reasonably priced. saves time too which is always an advantage and is board approved!!:)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I have a Casio FX 100s, which is a slightly older model, but I've gotten used to it. It doesn't have the two line display, but it works. :)

I_F

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Functionwise Casio FX100AU is one of the most powerful Board approved calculators available. I've seen the new FX82AU and its natural display, but unless you really need it to realise what's going on it shouldn't matter too much.

abcd9146

HSC
everyone uses casio calculators, cos they are probably the best...

i use the super-common and super FAT Casio fx-82tl in exams (well i bring 3 of them :p)
at school i use my slimer fx-3650p which isn't bos approved :D:D

what's so good about the fx82AU and natural display? how its it helpful?

HSC
Most people tend to use CASIO, prolly cos theyre popular, I use CASIO fx-100AU, its a good calculator. I guess as long as the calculator battery doesnt die during a maths exam, then the calculator is fine.

mel4dan

I ended up buying the Casio fx-82AU. i love the natural display. for those who dont know what that is, it means that fractions are displayed like you would write them and not with the back the front "L". it allows easy conversions too and well, i must say i like it...lol

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
I use the SHARP EL-531WH as its the one my school sells. It has everything you need. If i remember correctly, it was $18.

vyin

HSC
Ok need a little help here with me Casio fx-100Au Calculator, I have no idea how to operate the memory function (Storing is fine (I think), Just press the M+ Button but recalling it is unknown to me, Please advise ASAP.:worried:

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
passion89 said:
I use that one as well. It's blue and pretty :)
hah i have this one too, mine's also see through, blue and pretty. and why do so many people use the casio, sharp is the way to go

passion89

HSC
UzurOger said:
hah i have this one too, mine's also see through, blue and pretty. and why do so many people use the casio, sharp is the way to go
YAHHH That's the mentality that the future of australia need to adopt. To slightly alter Katykins' quote...once you go sharp, you never go back...:)

bally24

HSC
yep i agree with what everyone has said about the casio fx-82AU! its sooooo good and the display means you don't have to worry about putting in loads of brackets and you know exactly what you're putting in. it also has the Pol function which puts complex numbers into mod-arg form, plus its pretty cheap - was only $20 at officeworks a while back. and its board approved. its also not very bulky which is nice too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)