• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Calculus & Analysis Marathon & Questions (2 Viewers)

leehuan

HSC
Re: First Year Uni Calculus Marathon

I wasn't too sure how to argue it cause both statements seemed trivial corollaries of specific theorems or definitions. I just wasn't sure how to argue about how if the tangent is always horizontal, the curve never increases or decreases

(And yeah that language was what I meant by I don't know how to word it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanieg89

HSC

I wasn't too sure how to argue it cause both statements seemed trivial corollaries of specific theorems or definitions. I just wasn't sure how to argue about how if the tangent is always horizontal, the curve never increases or decreases

(And yeah that language was what I meant by I don't know how to word it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say they are trivial. (But they are easy consequences of specific theorems. A correct proof should be very short.)

You can't rely on intuition too much here as funny things can happen in analysis. I can tell you that just changing your wording in that final paragraph won't really lead to a proof. Also, you mention Rolle's theorem in your second para but then make no use of it later...did you mean to?

leehuan

HSC

I wouldn't say they are trivial. (But they are easy consequences of specific theorems. A correct proof should be very short.)

You can't rely on intuition too much here as funny things can happen in analysis. I can tell you that just changing your wording in that final paragraph won't really lead to a proof. Also, you mention Rolle's theorem in your second para but then make no use of it later...did you mean to?
Oh. Whoops at not properly using the theorem I quoted.

But nah I clicked submit with the mindset that the proof was invalid so I was open to comment. I was too stuck on wording

seanieg89

HSC

That's more like it :).

leehuan

HSC

This question got asked in my calculus tutorial. Took me 30 seconds of staring at it before I realised what was going on but Paradoxica could probably do it in 1 second.
(Especially since I have a feeling this got asked on BoS before...)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This question got asked in my calculus tutorial. Took me 30 seconds of staring at it before I realised what was going on but Paradoxica could probably do it in 1 second.

Where on BOS do you think it got asked before? As in in some marathon from the past?

leehuan

HSC

Where on BOS do you think it got asked before? As in in some marathon from the past?
Feels like some marathon or extracurricular thread. Might not have been the exact same one but it looked too familiar.

@Para yes the answer was 0

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I don't see the answer jumping out at me.

Imaginary Error Function lol

I'm thinking of using a bounding argument on the integral and using that to find the limit.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I don't see the answer jumping out at me.

Imaginary Error Function lol

I'm thinking of using a bounding argument on the integral and using that to find the limit.
LH

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Feels like some marathon or extracurricular thread. Might not have been the exact same one but it looked too familiar.

@Para yes the answer was 0
Well that was based on me accidentally seeing that as -t2

So no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)